More than 40 Philippine police killed in clash with Muslims

apple

MANILA, Philippines"•Marwan is dead.

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has confirmed the death of Malaysian terrorist Zulkifli bin Hir, alias Marwan.

Read more: FBI confirms Marwan's death | Inquirer Global Nation
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook
Well done, congratulations. Although, is noticeable that a Malaysian terrorist, who was mainly active in Indonesia, gets tracked to the Philippines. You're in danger of becoming the new Pakistan...

Sir, read about Moro rebellion.....Oil money has created this issue not just in Philippines but even in South Thailand!
Not quite sure what you're trying to say. There's no oil (as far as I know) in South Thailand and the Philippines. But, there is in the SE Asian Khalifate the terrorists are trying to create across; The Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and Southern Thailand.

US does squat for the Philippines.

The only thing Manila gets from US is cast away retired military boats for their navy and a lip service to 'support Philippines' but when China roars, US just moves aside.

Also, it pays a few crumbs to the ruling politician who then redirects his press to shower his media with news of strategic alliance and friendship.

Philippines closed down US bases many years ago only to reactivate them in 2013.

What they need in fighting jihad is not used warships and useless military maneuvers meant for fighting conventional armies; they need counter guerilla tactics that CRPF and even Vietnamese military specializes in.

Ambush and assault.
Hmm, OK... Surprised you know America has gifted the Philippines warship and then are totally ignorant about what else they've done/ are doing there. Suspect you're one of this forum's anti-US post colonial heroes :-/

And the Vietnamese army training someone in counter guerilla tactics :) Really not going to happen/ totally inappropriate.

Bro, they are getting trained by US forces AFAIK! I know RR will be too good for this training, however we do not meddle into US dominions, yes we should discreetly help Thailand and Myanmar for sure!
Once again, aren't really sure where you are coming from. Dominions??? it's not 1875.

If India wanted to help train/equip the Philippines fight Islamists, that's not meddling. Well, I suppose technically it is but no one would stop you and if it annoys anyone India should be able to take some criticism if it is serious about playing a role in International Relations.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Hmm, OK... Surprised you know America has gifted the Philippines warship and then are totally ignorant about what else they've done/ are doing there. Suspect you're one of this forum's anti-US post colonial heroes :-/

And the Vietnamese army training someone in counter guerilla tactics :) Really not going to happen/ totally inappropriate.

Once again, aren't really sure where you are coming from. Dominions??? it's not 1875.

If India wanted to help train/equip the Philippines fight Islamists, that's not meddling. Well, I suppose technically it is but no one would stop you and if it annoys anyone India should be able to take some criticism if it is serious about playing a role in International Relations.
I am not anti-America; I just don't find their model of military alliance/subservience very encouraging.

Criticism is fine but we have a very unpleasant history with US, almost coming close to a war with them in the 70s.

You see, they talk about democracy, freedoms, common principles yada yada but end of the day, they want absolute dominance over everyone.

They are in bed with some of the most fascist and tyrannical regimes on earth; Saudi Arabia. And yet they talk about preaching tolerance to us when their own country is growing increasingly intolerant.

This two-faced attitude is what we don't like.

Philippines should build up its economy rather than rely on the American model.

And of course, India can forge a great relation with Philippines in terms of counter terror cooperation.

BTW I am from India itself but from Sikkim, a state which was independent and fought for generations against invasions, whether it is Tibet, Bhutan or anywhere else.

You could say we are the 'Switzerland' of India.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Well done, congratulations. Although, is noticeable that a Malaysian terrorist, who was mainly active in Indonesia, gets tracked to the Philippines. You're in danger of becoming the new Pakistan...

Not quite sure what you're trying to say. There's no oil (as far as I know) in South Thailand and the Philippines. But, there is in the SE Asian Khalifate the terrorists are trying to create across; The Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and Southern Thailand.

When I say oil money...I meant Saudi Oil Money! Obviously they dont have oil fields controlled by Islmaists! :)

Also, US has great influence over Philippines......check their military partnership and other trade relations etc etc.

apple

When I say oil money...I meant Saudi Oil Money! Obviously they dont have oil fields controlled by Islmaists! :)

Also, US has great influence over Philippines......check their military partnership and other trade relations etc etc.
Ok, sure. Aren't too familiar with The Phillipines, but know Saudi's have had quite an influence in Indonesia (which has an Arab minority) and Brunei's royal family consider themselves some bizarre kind of "eastern Arab". Not so long ago, Malaysia had very serious links with Arab terrorists (the initially planning for 9/11 happened in Malaysia). But, both Malaysia and Indonesia have very strong governments and, as far as I know, have been very successful preventing foreign elements influencing their societies.

Philippines is very different from their more prosperous neighbours and the situation there is quite disturbing.

Am, sort of, aware of the history between the US and the Philipines. But dominion isn't a useful term to use and whatever relationship the Philippines (or whoever) has with a third country shouldn't preclude India getting involved with any country.

This being said I'd be very surprised if India gets involved with the Philippines in any military sense.

I am not anti-America; I just don't find their model of military alliance/subservience very encouraging.

Criticism is fine but we have a very unpleasant history with US, almost coming close to a war with them in the 70s.

You see, they talk about democracy, freedoms, common principles yada yada but end of the day, they want absolute dominance over everyone.

They are in bed with some of the most fascist and tyrannical regimes on earth; Saudi Arabia. And yet they talk about preaching tolerance to us when their own country is growing increasingly intolerant.

This two-faced attitude is what we don't like.

Philippines should build up its economy rather than rely on the American model.

And of course, India can forge a great relation with Philippines in terms of counter terror cooperation.

BTW I am from India itself but from Sikkim, a state which was independent and fought for generations against invasions, whether it is Tibet, Bhutan or anywhere else.

You could say we are the 'Switzerland' of India.
You say you're not anti- American then you spend most of your e-mail criticizing them. But, that's just my interpretation of your post and that subject isn't very relevant anyway.

It would be fantastic if the Philippines economy performed better. In particular as I understand that lack of funds greatly influences their military/ security forces. Also, poverty in the Muslim areas of the country may help Islamic extremists. But, I don't really know much national economies, should can't really discuss that.

Not sure what kind of co-operation can happen between India and the Philippines in COIN operations. From what I understand the US, as well as other countries, provide training and equipment either; for free or at very little cost. Not sure if India would be willing to reciprocate.

Also, the US sends people out into the jungle, where they take battle casualties. Am 99% sure India wouldn't be willing to do that.

amoy

Extremism is on the rise in SE Asia ~

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/asia/brunei-sharia-law/index.html
Brunei has become the first East Asian country to adopt sharia law, despite widespread condemnation from international human rights groups.

The Islamic criminal law is set to include punishments such as flogging, dismemberment and death by stoning for crimes such as rape, adultery and sodomy. The religious laws will operate alongside the existing civil penal code.

During a ceremony Wednesday morning, the Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, announced the commencement of the first phase of the sharia-based penal code, according to the government's-official website.

The oil-rich kingdom, located on the island of Borneo, has a population of just 412,000 people. The country already follows a more conservative Islamic rule than neighboring Muslim-dominated countries like Indonesia and Malaysia, and has implemented strict religiously-motivated laws, such as the banning of the sale of alcohol.

~~Still waters run deep. ~~from my MiPad using tapatalk

apple

I'd entirely disagree with you.

Not really sure why you're using Brunei as evidence, either. Brunei has no/ very little influence on it's neighbours and whether it has "adopted Sharia law", or not the main law of the land hasn't changed i.e. The Sultan does whatever he wants, the Sultan's sons do whatever they want (as long as it doesn't piss off Dad), the Sultan's extended family do whatever they want (as long as it doesn't piss off the Sultan or his sons), etc, etc, etc...

Also, am not sure why you (and the other Chinese guy) are trolling so hard on this thread... Is is some official government policy in China to try and destabilise SE Asia by supporting Islamic extremism? Know Filipino communist terrorists have recently been armed by the Chinese govt, but would be surprised (and disappointed) if you were supporting Muslims too.

amoy

I'd entirely disagree with you.

Not really sure why you're using Brunei as evidence, either. Brunei has no/ very little influence on it's neighbours and whether it has "adopted Sharia law", or not the main law of the land hasn't changed i.e. The Sultan does whatever he wants, the Sultan's sons do whatever they want (as long as it doesn't piss off Dad), the Sultan's extended family do whatever they want (as long as it doesn't piss off the Sultan or his sons), etc, etc, etc...

Also, am not sure why you (and the other Chinese guy) are trolling so hard on this thread... Is is some official government policy in China to try and destabilise SE Asia by supporting Islamic extremism? Know Filipino communist terrorists have recently been armed by the Chinese govt, but would be surprised (and disappointed) if you were supporting Muslims too.
Feel free to disagree as much as u would. Here's but an exchange of views. Nobody intends to force his/her ideas on anybody.

Then what do u disagree ENTIRELY? The extremism on the rise in SE Asia, or the Brunei Sharia implementation?

Your comments tried to downplay what happens to Brunei. However Its Sharia law is just one of many symptoms of the rising extremism in SE Asia. The philippines ~ Abu Sayyaf, and Indonesia ~ the most evident the Bali incident, and then rebels in S. Thailand. The Philippines once ranked the "best" among post ww2 Asian economies. It was their own social ills corruption, land etc. that's sinken the country and brought about insurgencies.

Official policies to destablize SE Asia? Any normal mind would have realized they've already been messed up with islamists before any Chinese meddling.

No u don't hav to feel disappointed at me. That's me and I'm good 😁

apple

Feel free to disagree as much as u would. Here's but an exchange of views. Nobody intends to force his/her ideas on anybody.

Then what do u disagree ENTIRELY? The extremism on the rise in SE Asia, or the Brunei Sharia implementation?

Your comments tried to downplay what happens to Brunei. However Its Sharia law is just one of many symptoms of the rising extremism in SE Asia. The philippines ~ Abu Sayyaf, and Indonesia ~ the most evident the Bali incident, and then rebels in S. Thailand. The Philippines once ranked the "best" among post ww2 Asian economies. It was their own social ills corruption, land etc. that's sinken the country and brought about insurgencies.

Official policies to destablize SE Asia? Any normal mind would have realized they've already been messed up with islamists before any Chinese meddling.

No u don't hav to feel disappointed at me. That's me and I'm good 😁

I disagreed with you that Islamic extremism is on the rise in SE Asia. Although, yes I should have made that clear not question Brunei's new laws.

But to respond to your new points, the Sultan of Brunei is trying to buddy up to the House of Saud, now that he has become ethnically "Arab".

He will (or almost definitely wont) still have whiskey and crack cocaine with his breakfast bacon before enjoying a relaxing morning getting sodomised by half a dozen Africans. Brunei has little, to no, influence in the region.

I most remember the Bali incident, although you should have said incidents as there were multiple bombings. I remember when it happened, as well as, the response from the Indonesian and Malaysian govts. I would describe that period as the highpoint of Islamic extremism in SE Asia.

As I was saying Malaysia used to have some very, very dodgy links with the Arab world and their politicians, particularly President Mahathir, used to say ISIS style, loony fringe BS all the time. Also during that period Indonesia was fighting Islamic seperatist in Aceh.

Since then though, both Indonesia and Malaysia have "straightened up and flown right". They both have very strong (a bit too strong really) governments and if I was to nominate two governments, on Earth, who'd be least threatened by insurgencies, they'd both be near the top of the list.

Don't know that much about the Philipines and I'll take your world for it that their economy used to be better. Would argue against a purely economic motive behind their insurgencies though. The Philipines is a majority Roman Catholic country and don't see any Christian Fundamentalist terrorists picking up arms to force an Old Testament based constitution on the country.

Wasn't disappointed with you. Would be disappointed if China used Islamic extremism to destabilise SE Asia.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Extremism is on the rise in SE Asia ~

Brunei adopts sharia law amid international outcry - CNN.com
Brunei has become the first East Asian country to adopt sharia law, despite widespread condemnation from international human rights groups.

The Islamic criminal law is set to include punishments such as flogging, dismemberment and death by stoning for crimes such as rape, adultery and sodomy. The religious laws will operate alongside the existing civil penal code.

During a ceremony Wednesday morning, the Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, announced the commencement of the first phase of the sharia-based penal code, according to the government's-official website.

The oil-rich kingdom, located on the island of Borneo, has a population of just 412,000 people. The country already follows a more conservative Islamic rule than neighboring Muslim-dominated countries like Indonesia and Malaysia, and has implemented strict religiously-motivated laws, such as the banning of the sale of alcohol.

They impose the Sharia law on their citizens only and ignore it when it comes to their(Royal Family) own discipline. All these countries are creating a trap door for themselves and sooner or later they will the price for it.

apple

They impose the Sharia law on their citizens only and ignore it when it comes to their(Royal Family) own discipline. All these countries are creating a trap door for themselves and sooner or later they will the price for it.
Am not sure which countries you mean by "all these countries". But, if you talking about Islamic State, North Sudan, Boko Harum, etc... then Brunei is quite, actually extremely, different.

While, I'm really, really not their fan and there's plenty of things wrong the House of Saud, they are very commited in their to opposition to Islamic extremism. They were killing Al Qaida members long before it became fashionable. While Brunei's Sultan "going Arab" isn't good, don't think it's much of a danger.

Oh, and it's a small point, but Brunei doesn't have citizens, it has subjects.

Oblaks

US does squat for the Philippines.

The only thing Manila gets from US is cast away retired military boats for their navy and a lip service to 'support Philippines' but when China roars, US just moves aside.

Also, it pays a few crumbs to the ruling politician who then redirects his press to shower his media with news of strategic alliance and friendship.

Philippines closed down US bases many years ago only to reactivate them in 2013.

What they need in fighting jihad is not used warships and useless military maneuvers meant for fighting conventional armies; they need counter guerilla tactics that CRPF and even Vietnamese military specializes in.

Ambush and assault.
Sir, the moro rebellion has been on for many decades. Believe me that the solution is not by military means. 2 administrations ago, an all out offensive was adopted and ALL rebel camps were captured. Only to find now that these rebels have breeded like rats.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
can't see the pic in yr post. what shall they learn from Serbia?

maybe Filipina shall just let go of Mindanao like Serbia did to Kosovo and Yugo to Bosnia (both also of Muslims) :D

then live in eternal peace ever since.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~
Its a youtube video. of this guy
TRIAL : Profiles

t_co

can't see the pic in yr post. what shall they learn from Serbia?

maybe Filipina shall just let go of Mindanao like Serbia did to Kosovo and Yugo to Bosnia (both also of Muslims) :D

then live in eternal peace ever since.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~
If the Philippines instituted a Serbian-style anti-Muslim pogrom, China would win for free since it would tie down huge quantities of PH military manpower and tear the country apart when the US and Japan are trying to use it as a link in the Asia pivot. It would also instantly wedge PH away from Malaysia and Indonesia, as they have large Muslim minorities that would naturally sympathize with their PH brethren.

Free Karma

Give Muslims self-rule or `count body bags`: Philippines` Aquino | Zee News

Philippine President Benigno Aquino called on lawmakers Friday to pass a bill endorsing a pact aimed at ending a decades-long Muslim separatist rebellion, warning them they would otherwise start counting "body bags".

Aquino had wanted the bill, which would give autonomy to the majority Catholic nation`s Muslim minority in the south, passed this month. But Congress suspended debates on the proposed law in the face of public outrage over the killings of 44 police commandoes by Muslim guerrillas in a botched anti-terror raid in January. The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which signed a peace deal a year ago Friday, had said its members fired in self-defence at the commandoes, who passed through a rebel camp while going after Islamic militants.

"This is the crossroads we face: we take pains to forge peace today, or we count body bags tomorrow," Aquino said in a nationwide television address. "Perhaps it is easy for you to push for all-out war," he said, hitting out at critics who have condemned the peace deal with the MILF. "But if the conflict grows, the number of Filipinos shooting at other Filipinos will grow, and it would not be out of the question that a friend or loved one be one of the people who will end up inside a body bag."

The rebellion for a separate state or self-rule has claimed nearly 120,000 lives and cost billions of dollars in economic losses, according to government estimates. Under a peace deal signed with the MILF, the 10,000-member group pledged to disarm while the Philippine government vowed to pass an autonomy law in Muslim areas of the south. "The Bangsamoro basic law is one of the most important proposed bills of our administration. It answers the two most pressing problems of our countrymen: poverty and violence," Aquino said Friday.

He warned it would be difficult to restart peace talks if the current process failed and the MILF leadership lost its influence among its members to more radical elements. Aquino is required by the constitution to stand down in mid-2016 after serving a single six-year term.

The January police raid sought to capture or kill two men on the US government`s list of "most wanted terrorists" who were living among Muslim rebels in southern Philippine farming communities. One of the men, Malaysian national Zulkifli bin Hir who had a $5-million bounty on his head, was reported killed.

But the other, Filipino Abdul Basit Usman, escaped as rebels surrounded and killed the police commandos.

apple

:lol:

Media: "People were killed in the raid"

PH Government: "America did it"
Did you bother to read the story?

Your description of it is exactly wrong. The (American) media, revealed that American military personal were involved with the planning and direction of the operation, which wouldn't be a surprise to anyone even vaguely familiar with the situation there.

The only mention of the Philipines Govt. quotes a report of theis which describes the only involvement of Americans being in evacuating the wounded.

amoy

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles