More Americans than Chinese can't put food on the table

G90

The number of Americans who lack access to basic necessities like food and health care is now higher than it was at the peak of the Great Recession, a survey released Thursday found. And in a finding that could worsen fears of U.S. decline, the share of Americans struggling to put food on the table is now three times as large as the share of the Chinese population in the same position.

The United States' Basic Index Score, a Gallup measure of access to necessities, fell to 81.4 in September--even lower than the 81.5 mark it reached in February and March, 2009. The recession officially ended in June of that year, but the halting recovery hasn't given a sustained boost to the number of Americans able to provide for themselves. The government reported last month that a record number of Americans is living in poverty.

Between September 2008 and last month, the share of Americans with access to a personal doctor plummeted from 82.5 percent to 78.3 percent. The share with health insurance fell from 85.9 percent to 82.3 percent. And the share saying they had enough money to buy food for themselves and their family dropped from 81.1 percent to 80.1 percent. Gallup's surveys are based on phone and in-person interviews.

Meanwhile, Gallup found that just 6 percent of Chinese said there were times in the past 12 months when they lacked enough money for food for themselves or their family, compared to 19 percent of Americans. Just three years ago, those results were almost reversed: 16 percent of Chinese couldn't put food on the table at times, compared to 9 percent of Americans.
:cool2:
More Americans than Chinese can't put food on the table | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^Gallup poll? :yawn:

How many of the Chinese respondents were from outside the big cities?

Meanwhile, Gallup found that just 6 percent of Chinese said there were times in the past 12 months when they lacked enough money for food for themselves or their family, compared to 19 percent of Americans. Just three years ago, those results were almost reversed: 16 percent of Chinese couldn't put food on the table at times, compared to 9 percent of Americans.
So the number of Chinese living in poverty declined from 16% to 6% i.e. from 224 million to 84 million in just three years? So at this rate (47 mill/yr), 0% of Chinese will be in poverty by end of 2014! :rolleyes:.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The poorest Americans are the most obese. They can't afford good food so they rely mostly on cheap (but unhealthy) fast food.

satish007

The poorest Americans are the most obese. They can't afford good food so they rely mostly on cheap (but unhealthy) fast food.
and they become dumber and dumber, but it is ok, because India and China keep sending the smartest guys to them.

datguy79

There are 200 million more Americans now than at the peak of the Great Recession...

satish007

There are 200 million more Americans now than at the peak of the Great Recession...
still better than Canadian, Once American become serious, they work hard because nobody care them, but Canadian, lazy and all waiting for relief.
a hopeless country.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wonder if Americans ever eat meals.

They are usually 'grabbing a bite' and always have a cup of coffee all the time in their hands.

As far as the Chinese are concerned, they are not too fussy what they eat and for them the variety of food is so wide, more than any race in the world, that they can never ever not have food on their table or in their bowl!

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
The number of Americans who lack access to basic necessities like food and health care is now higher than it was at the peak of the Great Recession, a survey released Thursday found. And in a finding that could worsen fears of U.S. decline, the share of Americans struggling to put food on the table is now three times as large as the share of the Chinese population in the same position.

The United States' Basic Index Score, a Gallup measure of access to necessities, fell to 81.4 in September--even lower than the 81.5 mark it reached in February and March, 2009. The recession officially ended in June of that year, but the halting recovery hasn't given a sustained boost to the number of Americans able to provide for themselves. The government reported last month that a record number of Americans is living in poverty.

Between September 2008 and last month, the share of Americans with access to a personal doctor plummeted from 82.5 percent to 78.3 percent. The share with health insurance fell from 85.9 percent to 82.3 percent. And the share saying they had enough money to buy food for themselves and their family dropped from 81.1 percent to 80.1 percent. Gallup's surveys are based on phone and in-person interviews.

:cool2:
More Americans than Chinese can't put food on the table | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
more BS. china still has hundred millions living in poverty

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
more BS. china still has hundred millions living in poverty
I would not think that there are hundred millions in China who are poverty stricken.

At least, that is not what is the impression our Chinese posters have given us to believe.

average american

There are over 200 million people living in China, that are homeless,
found on 12 different sources. 2/3rds the US population, any one going hungary in the US its due to neglect,

found on 12 different sources.

Food stamp eligibility. Income brackets change according to the size of a household and include the household's gross and net incomes. The gross income is total earnings before all taxes and other deductions, while the net income is the household's income after taxes and other deductions are taken out. For a single person household, the income cap is at $1,174 gross monthly and $903 net. A two person family cannot gross more than $1,579 and still receive benefits, a three-person family must make below $1,984 gross each month; this amount rises by $406 for each family member and the net income guidelines rise by $312 for each family member.

Read more: Eligibility Requirements for Food Stamps | eHow.com Eligibility Requirements for Food Stamps | eHow.com

gokussj9

Country flag
Obama is called "Foodstamp President" in a pejorative manner by some republicans and here we are thinking
that Americans cannot afford basic necessities.

s002wjh

Country flag
Why China needs to spend more on welfare - CNN.com

if we look at the graph in the middle there are still about 50% consider poor, thats in 2005, 700millions. i doubt china can get rid of those poor in 8yrs.

""The challenge facing the next generation of the Chinese leadership is steering the nation as it moves from an export and investment driven economy to a more sustainable consumption-driven economy.

However, such transformation will not be easy. Over the last two decades, various measures to encourage Chinese consumption had limited success.

The expansion of higher education since mid-1990s was one early attempt. While a success in matriculation -- 19% of Chinese under the age of 30 have a college degrees -- the move failed to spur consumption as families instead saved to afford university educations. A similar story can be seen in the commercialization of the housing market. Families have to save increasingly more in order to afford apartments with rising prices.

Given the spotty success of Beijing policy to boost consumption, new research suggests the key may lie in tackling China's growing divide between the rich and the poor.

READ: Why China needs to learn the three R's

The government has never publicly released household-level data necessary to study this problem. To gauge the scope of the problem, my colleagues and I at China Household Finance Survey conducted a nationwide survey, interviewing a random sample of 8,438 households in China, both rural and urban.

We found that China's Gini coefficient -- a number that is widely used to measure a country's income inequality -- is 0.61. This number suggests a level of income inequality so high that can only be found in some of the African countries such as South Africa and Seychelles. In the U.S., this number is 0.39....."""

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I would not think that there are hundred millions in China who are poverty stricken.

At least, that is not what is the impression our Chinese posters have given us to believe.
There are no poor in china. :D

huaxia rox

over 200 million in china homeless??? thats about 1/6 of our population.......do you have the direct source indicating where the data comes from???

the only thing i know is the wenchuan earth quake resulted in around 5 million homeless in 2008 and many of them have got new homes now......pictures about those people in different remote areas in sichuan can be found easily in chinese media and my question is if there are really 200 million homeless can you show me where they are now??

Last edited:

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
When talking about access to health-care.........there are couple of things that stand out that make the US very different.

The average hospital here in the US that the common man goes to is equivalent to the top private hospitals that only the very rich in India can afford.
They have the latest technology and the best equipment.
This makes the cost of care quite high....but the quality is very good compared to even other Western countries.

So the cost of private health insurance if you do not work for a company that provides health-insurance is very high.
I myself was looking at paying about $700 per month just to cover myself(one person) when I was unemployed...even though I had a clean health record.

So its reasonable to say that many American, even solidly middle-class Americans may opt to skip out on private health-insurance if they are laid-off, etc, and just hope they dont get seriously ill before they find their next job with health-insurance.
Another reason why the cost is so high is because the customer is paying for the cost of litigation and lawsuits.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles