Modi's Dream Project - Dholera Smart City

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
This project looks like a sci-fi city of the future! Check out the video below.

Dholera SIR is among the eight industrial regions planned in the first phase of the DMIC project.

The entire project covers an area of approximately 920 sq km and is a node strategically located near the industrial cities of Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Surat and Bhavnagar.

Since the entire trunk infrastructure cannot be implemented in one go, a phased approach has been adopted for the project and an Activation Area of 22.5 sq km has been identified which would act as catalyst for further investments and will provide a base for taking up development of the remaining area.

Monthly review meetings are being conducted at the highest level to ensure that the project issues are proactively addressed and the project completed ahead of schedule.

PDC has not been mentioned. Completion probably by 2020-22.
Why am I not surprised.......................

Certified Gipsy

What a shame! All our rich architectural skills of the past have been flushed down the drain to adopt these funny looking concrete and glass monsters in the name of secularism. Not a tiny touch of Indianness in any of these concrete monsters. God knows what more we are going to lose to become programmed, zombies & imitators of the west, with no pride for our uniqueness & individuality.

Mangal

Country flag
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...al-financial-centres-index/article9883732.ece

With bare minimum infrastructure this stupid city is among the top 15 financial centres !!! whom are you kidding Modi ji..
The article is full of praises for this upcoming city. I quote from the article here :
" The Gandhinagar-based IFSC has ranked ahead of several leading financial hubs at Luxembourg, Seoul, Abu Dhabi, Toronto and Beijing.
GIFT has been put in the same leagues as other top financial centres at New York and Hong Kong. GFCI report has listed 15 centres that are likely to become more significant in the next few years.
Produced bi-annually by The China Development Institute (CDI) in Shenzhen and Z/Yen Partners in London, a leading commercial think tank, the GFCI report covers around 92 centres and 16 associate centres globally."

Perhaps you need to read the article again.

Kyubi

Country flag
The article is full of praises for this upcoming city. I quote from the article here :
" The Gandhinagar-based IFSC has ranked ahead of several leading financial hubs at Luxembourg, Seoul, Abu Dhabi, Toronto and Beijing.
GIFT has been put in the same leagues as other top financial centres at New York and Hong Kong. GFCI report has listed 15 centres that are likely to become more significant in the next few years.
Produced bi-annually by The China Development Institute (CDI) in Shenzhen and Z/Yen Partners in London, a leading commercial think tank, the GFCI report covers around 92 centres and 16 associate centres globally."

Perhaps you need to read the article again.
Thanks for outlining it , i have read it again and still don't find it impressive and most of that praises are on paper. By the way GIFT is "upcoming" since how many years i guess 6 yrs and counting. For comparision's sake check out teh top 15 cities of china viz a vis India you will come to know that the real growth is seen on the ground and no amount of eulogizing will make our country great. And quite frankly the chinese will be laughing their asses of whenever an Indian parlimentarian inaugurates a bridge , damn or anyother infrastructure with a superlative quote "Built in Record time of 7 years " , The chinese will probably build a whole city block within those years. No wonder i find it amply amusing when people across political spectrum chest beat themselves into believing that we are great than china. A Total BS

My only grouse is that there hasn't been any significant development in GIFT , its still languishing , with just 2 high rises and few other structure . The Political will is not their to push forward investements. its all in paper. our rate of construction is abysmal. You just need to look east at china. Their infrastructure is far far better and improving at a stellar speed. And here we only gloat at few bridges and a dam , score political points over who did and who started. it's collective failure over many years. but even states that claim to promote growth in infrastructure and industry do next to nothing when it comes to infrastructure development.

Sorry for the Long Post , it's been quite long since i wrote anything on DFI. Thanks by the way for participating.

sorcerer

Country flag
Thanks for outlining it , i have read it again and still don't find it impressive and most of that praises are on paper. By the way GIFT is "upcoming" since how many years i guess 6 yrs and counting. For comparision's sake check out teh top 15 cities of china viz a vis India you will come to know that the real growth is seen on the ground and no amount of eulogizing will make our country great. And quite frankly the chinese will be laughing their asses of whenever an Indian parlimentarian inaugurates a bridge , damn or anyother infrastructure with a superlative quote "Built in Record time of 7 years " , The chinese will probably build a whole city block within those years. No wonder i find it amply amusing when people across political spectrum chest beat themselves into believing that we are great than china. A Total BS

My only grouse is that there hasn't been any significant development in GIFT , its still languishing , with just 2 high rises and few other structure . The Political will is not their to push forward investements. its all in paper. our rate of construction is abysmal. You just need to look east at china. Their infrastructure is far far better and improving at a stellar speed. And here we only gloat at few bridges and a dam , score political points over who did and who started. it's collective failure over many years. but even states that claim to promote growth in infrastructure and industry do next to nothing when it comes to infrastructure development.

Sorry for the Long Post , it's been quite long since i wrote anything on DFI. Thanks by the way for participating.
Land in china belongs to the govt and there is no need for legal fight like in democratic system. The most land in cities belong to the govt.
So naturally the process is much simpler and easy.

Like here in this case in china

Tell that to Chengdu area farmer Hu Jinqiong, 44, who surveys an empty patch of land in a newly developed neighborhood in Shuangliu county, not far from the airport. Her frail, aging in-laws stand near a pile of rubble, looking forlorn. Hu says her family had a house here for generations, until the local government took the land and demolished the house five years ago.

"I had a pretty comfortable life until then," says Hu. "I rented out spare rooms in the house, and made more money in one year than the local government offered me in total compensation.

Hu says she refused to sign any agreement, or take any money, but thugs came along and beat her up and tore down her house anyway. And that's despite the fact that Hu had a property rights certificate for her house.

"Land is a farmer's life," she says. "Yet, they can just grab our land. It's too easy for them."

Hu has been fighting for just compensation ever since her land was taken, trying in vain to get her case heard in court. Many Chinese courts refuse to take cases involving government acquisition of land. Not coincidentally, judges and other court employees are paid by local governments. Meanwhile, Hu's land sits vacant; local governments have been known to sit on acquired land until property prices spike, and then sell to developers.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-05-01/china-past-due-land-rights

Thats how land is acquired for development in china.

Well!! in India, the case is every project involving infrastructure development is a political scoring chance for political parties.

Here we have a complicated land acquisition time and well 7 years is still a record time for us :D

Last edited:

Mangal

Country flag

Your frustration is something I can relate to and I have my examples too. But here is the thing. The entire system which is lethargic and corrupt has been created like an ecosystem which feeds, promotes and rewards corrupt babus, officers and even citizens. Not to mention it runs like a parellal economy as well. It will take time to put things in order. If you would have commented about slow pace of the GIFT project it would have been fine but putting blame on modi the only leader who has shown will to change things and restructure the economy is something that I don't find correct. Well offcourse you have every right to hold your opinion. But as far as I am concerned I still feel that the mess of 70 years can't be cleaned in wink of an eye.

sorcerer

Country flag
But as far as I am concerned I still feel that the mess of 70 years can't be cleaned in wink of an eye.
Agree with you.
:D
the congress and its appeasers would prefer to use bots, fake twitter accounts and handles to clean the 70 years of mess in a wink of an eye.

Kyubi

Country flag
Your frustration is something I can relate to and I have my examples too. But here is the thing. The entire system which is lethargic and corrupt has been created like an ecosystem which feeds, promotes and rewards corrupt babus, officers and even citizens. Not to mention it runs like a parellal economy as well. It will take time to put things in order. If you would have commented about slow pace of the GIFT project it would have been fine but putting blame on modi the only leader who has shown will to change things and restructure the economy is something that I don't find correct. Well offcourse you have every right to hold your opinion. But as far as I am concerned I still feel that the mess of 70 years can't be cleaned in wink of an eye.
Yes maybe my post signalled out Modi, but to be sure when GiFT was launched . I really expected it to spurt growth, as it is being done in Gujarat. And Modi has had a run at helm for multiple terms.. which is enough to complete atleast 50% of the project. He and CBN were heralded as next gen CMs , but what has happened ???

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
smart people make smart cities... not the technology or infra used.

bandar ko adrak pakda do toh koi faida nahi

AnantS

Country flag
Yes maybe my post signalled out Modi, but to be sure when GiFT was launched . I really expected it to spurt growth, as it is being done in Gujarat. And Modi has had a run at helm for multiple terms.. which is enough to complete atleast 50% of the project. He and CBN were heralded as next gen CMs , but what has happened ???

https://www.pressreader.com/india/business-standard/20170910/281483571539966
Litigation + Court Stay + Unending Desire to become rich in one single day == Slow Progress

Kyubi

Country flag
I believe that both of them have tremendous potential to achieve. Both Modi and CBN

but as a country we should equally be watchful and appreciative of our neighbour. China is a communist country and they execute plans with a iron fist, crushing opponents and dissenters alike .. if the above is the argument made then US was able influence the globe simply because it build cities , infrastructure and promoted technology by being a democracy.. and yes deep state assests and CIA etc etc have equally helped in projected and cementing US as a superpower. But tell me will china not be doing the same right now, this very moment.

Softpower cannot be the guiding light for engaging with the world. What we need is a scale of development on the lines of china. I believe that should be the approach.

And Here we are still talking about executing GIFt , Dholera like projects or for that matter Metro Trains within the stipulated time ..

All i have to say is our infrastructure/construction industry is woefully inadequate, antiquated and we are way way behind China.. This is going to comeback and bite us..

sorcerer

Country flag
We have to focus on some projects that are completed BEFORE stipulated time, in case of metros and also other infrastructure projects.
Study them in detail, find out what change was brought to achieve such a feat with the democratic system in place.
The result of such could be a new normal for infrastructure projects in India.

What we found was when there is a project the protest comes usually from local parties who wants to create a confusion and fish in the muddy waters.+interdepartmental issues(environment..blahblah blah)+NGO's +Media+ many others.
We have seen such from our Nuke Reactor projects to GAIL pipeline and many others including the NANO.

India has solved many such issues from taming NGO's to taking people into confidence and slimming legal hurdles.
But a lot more needed to be done.

Kyubi

Country flag

Chongquing in 2016, need i say more about the development pace . every major Indian city pales in comparision to many of the chinese cities be it in infrastructure, public utilities , business parks, transportation. etc We lack in everything.. no wonder Chinese are the real superpower in near future, we can only play catch up as chinese keep dominating every sphere.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Chongquing in 2016, need i say more about the development pace . every major Indian city pales in comparision to many of the chinese cities be it in infrastructure, public utilities , business parks, transportation. etc We lack in everything.. no wonder Chinese are the real superpower in near future, we can only play catch up as chinese keep dominating every sphere.
One can't compare an autocratic government like China with a cacophonous democracy like India. For the CPC, it's my way or the highway. Thus, we can never hope to catch up with the Chinks! The chasm will only get wider.

Rahul Prakash

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
One can't compare an autocratic government like China with a cacophonous democracy like India. For the CPC, it's my way or the highway. Thus, we can never hope to catch up with the Chinks! The chasm will only get wider.
Then why is everyone thinking and speaking as if we can over here.

They are a 10 tr economy with 6 to 5 GDP growth while we are 3 tr with 6 to 7 GDP growth.

So the gap will grow.but the gap btw Pak and Ind will also grow.

We must aim to be atleast 3/4 of the Chinese economy to be really secure.

Kyubi

Country flag
Well Said Mikesingh, i thought some Hardcore RW would unfurl his Bhagwa Clad nationalism and pounce on me. As you said china is rutheless in its agenda , hence its able to pursue its goals in the time frame they have set, but if India has to be anywhere close to China then with a democratic structure like ours it will take us a hell of a lot time . we have to reach a minimum of 6 - 7 trillion dollar economy within the next 10 yrs if we have to have anything close to a level playing field with China. or else keep dreaming about Dholera and have wet dreams about GIFT.

You gotta give it to the chinese they have transformed their economy and is ushering in the newyear with improved GDP rating. It dedicates so much money to its infrastructure, education , health, R&D and many more . Executes the project with alarming efficiency no wonder Chinese are a force to reckon with.

Our softpower will have its positivities culturaly i suppose, but it shall no where help us in our economy and bring in best practices of Urban development. Projects in india meaders aimlessly and takes ages to be completed, we are loosing several points on that front and our politicians dont care a rats ass to improve our situation.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles