Mobiles, Gadgets and Gizmos

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Is it in hindi or english ?

I dont think people in rural India would prefer to read everything in english.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Hmm...3000 bucks is great.
This should be made available to all Govt. school students 8th standard upwards, along with Wi-Fi connectivity in all schools.

agentperry

company said if the order is taken to 10 lakh pieces then price to govt will fall to 1750 only. moreover get a good phone with android under 4000 rs. tablet is a big leap forward. i just want its good distribution and application.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
It will be good if there are vernacular version for the rural areas, otherwise this device is not much of use for the purpose that it is intended for. But we also need to see if it can hold well for longer time and not come off part by part :D

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Its meant for students, considering they can understand english.

Multilingual android will come sooner or later. So hindi or any indian language support is obvious.

btw Made in India :D

agentperry

this tablet will be given to students from 9th to 12th and college students. its not for toddlers.

now its expected that at least students of 9th class knows english.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
How the world's cheapest tablet computer was born

The idea to develop the world's cheapest computer was born in 2005 when HRD ministry resisted a proposal of the Planning Commission to buy $100 (approx Rs 5,000) laptop developed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology for students to access internet easily.

The average cost of a laptop then was around $800 (approx Rs 40,000) and the MIT's device seemed cheap. Most educationists were ready to buy the argument expect NK Sinha, an IITian, then joint secretary in the ministry.He urged that India can produce a simple computing device for students at $10 (approx Rs 500). "People called it an impossible task," Sinha recalled before the launch of $50 (approx Rs 2,470) tablet called Aakash.
Education secretary RP Aggarwal was convinced and allowed Sinha to constitute a small group of fellow IITians and experts to work on the idea.

Breakthrough came in 2007, when a final year student of IIT developed a motherboard - provides electrical connection to other components in a computer - suitable to run a low-cost computing device. "It was the first hope of realising a dream," Sinha, now additional secretary in HRD ministry, said.

It took another two years for the team of experts to develop a model for the low-cost device. In January 2007, the government included the model for funding under the National Mission for Information Communication and Technology and IIT Rajasthan bagged the job to develop the device.

The man in-charge of the project in IIT Rajasthan was its director Prem Kalra, whose son provided the first breakthrough. Over 170 students from his campus finally developed a prototype in 2009. After its initial testing, the cost of the device was projected as $35 (approx R1750).

A tender for one lakh devices was floated and Datawind bagged the project with the lowest bid of $37.98 (approx Rs 1,880).

How the world's cheapest tablet computer was born - Hindustan Times

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
this tablet will be given to students from 9th to 12th and college students. its not for toddlers.

now its expected that at least students of 9th class knows english.
I would still like it to have Indian languages so that vast majority of our people can understand it better.

language is a software thing so it shouldn't even pose much of a problem.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I hope this turns out better than the $10 laptop scheme.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I hope this turns out better than the $10 laptop scheme.
Yeah many countries failed at it.

India however succeeded in making 50$ or some 2200Rs tablet reality & lakhs of units are ordered as we speak.

They say after govt subsidy & other university discounts, price will be just 1300-1500rs!!

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Dozens of nations failed in OLPC, One laptop per child scheme.

But I can understand, its hard to digest Indian success :lol:

vikaskumar11233

Tihar Jail
Banned
Latest Mobile and new Gadgets

Hi all

Starting this thread to share some information on new mobiles, laptops, cameras and other latest gadgets with their prices, features and specifications. So here I am sharing about the sizzling new Nokia Lumia 800 which was recently launched so here we go..

Nokia Lumia 800 is the Windows Phone from Nokia Corporations in Indian gadget market. The handset is powered by a Microsoft Windows phone 7.5 Mango operating system which gets its power from its 1.4 GHz Qualcomm MSM8255 chipset processor with 3D Graphics HW accelerator.

The processor of the phone offers a speedy web access and a provides a faster accessibility to mobile applications. The 512 MB RAM of the phone is used by CPU and called as programming memory. It has an internal storage memory of 16 GB which stores practically unlimited phone book entries, SMS and allows user to carry huge amount of data like important files, audio and video files.

Its features are..

It has a superb 8 MP camera with resolution of 3264x2448 pixels having features dual-LED flash, autofocus, Geo Tagging.

It runs on a 1.4 GHz processor, Qualcomm MSM8255 chipset, 3D Graphics HW Accelerator and 512 RAM internal memory is 16.
It supports all major connectivity options like Bluetooth, GPRS, EDGE, WLAN, 3G with HSDPA 14.4 Mbps, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps.

It also supports Proximity sensor for auto turn-off, Digital compass, Predictive text input features.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Nokia Lumia will be a colossal failure.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles