Military Fiction

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have just finished reading Maj Gen GD Bakshi's novel, Siege of Warwan.(harper Collins).

I read those 284 pages cover to cover in one day.

It was gripping and I now understood what one means by a book being 'unputdownable'!

I have feeling the book, though a novel and fictionalised, is based on some real operation in the Kishtwar area, because he commanded a brigade in Counter-Terrorist operations in the very rugged mountains of Kishtwar and was awarded the Sena Medal for his distinguished services.

He subsequently commanded the reputed Romeo Force during intensive Counter-Terrorist operations in the Rajouri-Punch Districts of J&K in the wake of Op Sarp Vinash and succeeded in pacifying the area.

Hence, he has a good idea of such operations and how things operate.

He had commanded his battalion in Dalunang, Kargil and had taken over the area from my battalion. It was an active combat zone and he got the VSM there.

This is possibly the first military fiction book that I read which was very realistic in its narrative and minor details of how plans are made at the Brigade Level, unit level, and how actions are planned and executed has been so lucidly told in a smooth narration, with the jarring military emotion less manner.

He has been fair to all those who are involved and has also very frankly brought out the sadness and sorrow of the common Kashmiri caught between the Military and the Terrorists.

The description and details of the various Terrorist organisation working in Kashmir is astounding and ever so true!

The narrative is like any John Clancy novel, if not better.

Anyone who wants to know how the Army operates and also what is going on in the CI grid would find this novel very enlightening!

I can hardly believe that a military man can write such a novel like a seasoned story teller who grips the reader right from the start and who is so authentic with the facts.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am now reading Lashkar by Mukul Deva.

He is from the Sikh Light Infantry, and more importantly, from my School, though the Lucknow Branch.

Will write my comments on finishing the same.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It appears some fine military fiction is being written by ex military men.

Harper Collins is doing a good thing.

Hopefully, it will interest the youth!

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Writing on the Wall (India Checkmates America 2017) by General S Padmanabhan
Published in 2004

kseeker

Retired
@Ray Sir, could you please suggest some more defence related books ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am reading more and more these days and Flipkart is helping me.

I will write reviews as I read.

Dinesh_Kumar

Sir, not to take away anything from Gen. Bakshi, who has many significant acheivements, but Sarp Vinash success is mostly attributed to Lt.Gen. Hardev Singh Lidder, incl. innovative use of Helo Gunships, and troops being helidropped over mountainous terrain like in "Air Assault" ops seen in US Army.Sainik Samachar even cites Sarp Vinash when reporting his promotion to Lt. Gen.
...Romeo Force ........Sarp Vinash

Dinesh_Kumar

There is good book on Indian Spl. Forces by Gen Katoch, which can be read with limited access on Scribd

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir, not to take away anything from Gen. Bakshi, who has many significant acheivements, but Sarp Vinash success is mostly attributed to Lt.Gen. Hardev Singh Lidder, incl. innovative use of Helo Gunships, and troops being helidropped over mountainous terrain like in "Air Assault" ops seen in US Army.Sainik Samachar even cites Sarp Vinash when reporting his promotion to Lt. Gen.
Harry Lidder was a Paratrooper.He is a clam and cool person. He did well.

As the planner and executer of an ops, he naturally remains the fountainhead.

It is all team work.

AS far as GD is concerned, I wrote

He subsequently commanded the reputed Romeo Force during intensive Counter-Terrorist operations in the Rajouri-Punch Districts of J&K in the wake of Op Sarp Vinash and succeeded in pacifying the area.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Ray Sir, could you please suggest some more defence related books ?
You could read Capt Amarinder Singh's book, 'Lest we Forget' (on 1962) and his "A Ridge Too Far (on Kargil ops).

Amarinder is the Maharaja of Patiala.

Last edited by a moderator:

sob

Mod
Country flag
Applicable if you bought from Amazon

I bought it from Flipkart!
You just need an Amazon Id to write a review of the book.

Also you can now books from www.amazon.in. IMO they have a wider range of books than flipkart and sometimes are cheaper also.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What is the mode of payment?

And won't it be more expensive since it will be shipped from the US?

sob

Mod
Country flag
What is the mode of payment?

And won't it be more expensive since it will be shipped from the US?
Sir, they have opened an Indian website amazon.in They have a warehouse in Mumbai from where they will ship books, and they accept payment in Rs.

Reactions: Ray

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles