Mikhail Gorbachev warns world on 'brink of a new Cold War'

sgarg

@Virendra, ISIS is supported by several middle-eastern players. Do not assume it has only "light" weapons. + Arabs change loyalty very fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgarg

It seems like a hot war to me rather than a cold war. There may be short hot and cold periods right now but it is definitely looking like hot overall.
Probably we are seeing precursors to WWIII.

pmaitra

Most of the ISIS weapons are said to have been acquired from fleeing Iraqi army and its bases, implying that they were not so heavy armed before.
That raises another question, how did the Iraqi army become so incapable in front of a relatively light armed enemy .. that they had to literally flee, leaving their military hardware for the advancing enemy to pick?
And if they were really so incapable, why did the so called world leaders leave Iraq hanging on some military hardware, to command which there weren't event enough capable hands?

Regards,
Virendra
Apropos the highlighted part, I do not believe that the ISIS were lightly armed. My belief is that, given their overwhelming success, they were not only well trained, but were equipped well enough to achieve what they have achieved at the initial stages of their campaign.

jouni

Gorbachev is very nice for Louis Vitton ads. He is the last person however to listen to on strategic matters. I think what he is doing is riding on the situation to recover some of his credibility with the Russian people who are increasingly inward looking and ultra-nationalistic.
I am just watching live concert to celebrate 25 years of the fall of the wall and RT is printing this BS, typical...

Russia was given all the chances to join the great Europen family, they chose otherwise.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I am just watching live concert to celebrate 25 years of the fall of the wall and RT is printing this BS, typical...

Russia was given all the chances to join the great Europen family, they chose otherwise.

They would join the European community if only they are given a special imperial status by Europe since megalomaniacal Russian nationalists who think that they are still the Soviet Union or the new incarnation of the Russian Empire... and Putin is the Emperor.

These Russians also want the West to erase all reference to the collapse of the USSR in all history books as a precondition for joining Europe... :rofl:

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
@Virendra, ISIS is supported by several middle-eastern players. Do not assume it has only "light" weapons. + Arabs change loyalty very fast.
Never said it "has" light weapons. My contention was about the past, i.e. before they initiated raids into Iraq.
Apropos the highlighted part, I do not believe that the ISIS were lightly armed. My belief is that, given their overwhelming success, they were not only well trained, but were equipped well enough to achieve what they have achieved at the initial stages of their campaign.
Trained they might be, I still don't get how they could overwhelm the Iraqi military armed with Russian and US origin heavy hardware like Tanks, Stingers guns etc. The latter fell and fled like autumn leaves. A contest so one sided is what is baffling to me, not the success of ISIS.

Either somebody consciously armed the ISIS to teeth, before the raids into Iraq; or the Iraqi Army were criminally incompetent and unprofessional.

Regards,
Virendra

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles