MiG-21 FL fighter jets to fly into history on Wednesday

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
New Delhi/Kolkata: One of the first variants of the MiG 21 combat aircraft, which dealt severe blows to Pakistan Air Force in the 1971 war, will fly into the annals of history on Wednesday. The aircraft will undertake its last ceremonial flight at a phasing out ceremony at the air force station in Kalaikunda, West Bengal, in the presence of Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne.

"The deafening roar of the MiG-21 FL afterburner, an iconic delta-wing fighter aircraft that heralded the 'supersonic era' in IAF will no longer be heard after December 11, 2013, the day it is set to fly into the annals of military aviation history," an IAF release said in New Delhi. Four MiG-21 FL aircraft flown by pilots from the Operational Conversion Unit, the last abode of the venerable jets, will fly a 'box formation' as Browne will take the salute at the ceremonial parade to bid them adieu. Formations of MiG-27 ML and Sukhoi-30MKI will also fly past the parade square in reverence to the legend of a fighter jet that remains the most widely exploited platform in IAF history and also witnessed action in the Indo-Pak wars of 1965 and 1971. Being limited in numbers, the MiG-21s played a restricted role in the 1965 war but played a crucial role in the 1971 war giving IAF the air superiority over vital points and areas in the western theatre, the release said. In the first-ever supersonic air combat that ensued over the sub-continent in 1971, an Indian Mig-21 FL claimed a PAF F-104 Starfighter with its internal twin-barrelled guns alone and by the end of hostilities the IAF Mig-21s had claimed 4 Pakistani F-104s, 2 F-6s, one each F-86 Sabre and Lockheed C-130 Hercules, it said. The pin-point accurate attack on the Governor's House in Dhaka by IAF pilots flying the MiG-21s proved to be a turning point in the war forcing the adversary to negotiate an eventual surrender, it said. The aircraft were also fielded in the Kargil war. The versatility of all the MiG-21 variants have immensely shaped the IAF operational philosophy for decades. The pilots, engineers and technicians who flew and maintained the MiG-21 have been strong proponents of its exceptional combat worthiness. Besides accomplishing major operational feats, the MiG-21 also ushered a revolutionary enhancement in the technological and manufacturing capabilities of the indigenous aerospace industry. With the phasing out of the MiG-21 FL, an era of relentless performance, precision deliverance and intimidating performance will also come to an end, the release said.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.firstpost.com%2Findia%2Fmig-21-fighter-jets-to-fly-into-history-on-wednesday-1272973.html&ei=gI6kUtL-KIeYrgfR-oCYCQ&usg=AFQjCNGOK2LnzVJBawYYveExf6V3lCBRDw&sig2=k4aGFDcZ9nGgOGCr_2EgWw&bvm=bv.57752919,d.bmk

jmj_overlord

any news on steps taken by iaf to fill up the gaps created by retiring all mig 21 ?

jmj_overlord

hopefully tejas might get IOC fast and rafales also need to be inducted fast.........

Waffen SS

thank god

MIG 21 and ambassador car should be placed near India gate, as the most used and stretched product in India.:taunt1::taunt1::taunt1:
:yey::yey::p:p

Bye Bye MiG 21.
You have provided service awesome.
India's first supersonic jet
Pakis thought in 1971 it's cutting their neck!!
Like Hawker Hunter and English Electric Canberra
For long time MiG 21 served India!!

RIP to those brave pilots who died while operating MiG 21.

But I think we still need them as interceptor for air defence role. There are very few aircrafts in IAF inventory of Mach 2 speed.

Now only MiG 29 and Mirage 2000 have Mach 2+ speed, as for an ideal interceptor plane I think having Mach 2 speed is very necessary. Rafael, Tejas and Su 30MKI are more like Multirole Fighter plane.

I say we should keep MiG 21's as interceptor for Air Defence role.
@ersakthivel @p2prada @Kunal Biswas

Other wise due to having insufficient number of Mach 2 speed capable aircraft other countries can use this opportunity to send super fast planes over Indian territory, thus violating our national air space, we still dont have enough MiG 29's. Bangladesh and Pakistan still have J 7 which can out run Tejas, Su 30MKI and Rafaels as none of them are Mach 2 capable.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhramos

Country flag
The last salute by #IAF Chief to the retiring MiG-21 FL today in Kalaikunda.

bhramos

Country flag
End of an era

A MiG-21 FL taking off for the last time today in Kalaikunda

Eastman

Country flag
Is all versions of Mig-21 will be phased out or just the Mig-21FL?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am surprised to know that we were operating MIG-21 type-77 from 1965 war ..

Good riddance, Its hard for IAF top brass to retire them without crashing them with pilots, but not induct Tejas ..

nirranj

Country flag
Now, I am confused. If all the Mig 21's are retired, that means from today we will be short of 200 planes in the inventory?

are all the Mig 21's are being retired or just one version??

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
Now, I am confused. If all the Mig 21's are retired, that means from today we will be short of 200 planes in the inventory?

are all the Mig 21's are being retired or just one version??

MIG-21 FL was decommissioned after being in service for 50 years

still MiG21Bis, MiG21Bison, MiG21M/MF are in service 200+ till 2018-19

Last edited:

Waffen SS

This is the plan, but only till 2019.

MKI and Rafale are mach 2 capable. FGFA will exceed that.
But sir according to Wiki Rafael has speed of 1.8 Mach.

I say we should better make a new plane from MiG 21 structure. MiG 21's Mach 2 capable engine is superb. MiG 21's faults are short range 1210 km, low pay load 2 500 kg bomb, 2 or 4 AAMs and a nose mounted 23 mm gun with 80 rounds.

The new plane will have engine that MiG 21 uses, nose mounted 23 mm gun removed, it would replaced by 2 30 mm guns under wings with at least 125 rounds, 2 500 kg bomb or 4 250 kg bomb or 1 anti-ship missiles plus AAM plus fuel ability increased for longer range.

Best example is perhaps Chinese J 7 a major modification of Soviet MiG 21 and J 7 is better than MiG 21 in many aspects. This new plane will be cheap, we need cheap Mach 2 capable interceptor.

Last edited:

Eastman

Country flag
Mig-21 was like a manned rocket but not known for maneuverability, manned aircraft crossing 1.8 mach usually have variable geometry intake design, anyway such speed is only achievable for a short shot using after burners. Supercruise is the name of the game in modern times. Some modern planes like F-22, F-35 and J-20 should be 1.8 mach class fighter but with super cruise capability.

happy

The text in telugu says - "Mig-21 FL (Type-77) final flight at Kalaikunda AFB, Midnapur, West Bengal on Wednesday. Officially retired from Airforce service. From Thursday onwards they will not perform any duty. These fighter planes have excellently served IAF for five decades."

happy

Flying MiG-21 is like being closer to heaven: Indian Air Force pilot

An Indian Air Force (IAF) MIG-21 passes near Sukhoi-30 fighter jets before a drill for Air Force Day celebrations in Kalikunda IAF airbase around 170 km west of Kolkata on September 29, 2011.

Kalaikunda, West Bengal: The youngest Indian Air Force (IAF) pilot to have flown the MiG-21 FL fighter jet, which phased out after a glorious 50-year service, said flying the 'dream machine' felt like he was closer to heaven.

"I am feeling proud. I still want to fly the aircraft," 27-year-old Flight Lieutenant L Nagarajan said after the phasing out ceremony of MiG-21 type 77 in the presence of Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne, Chief of Air Staff yesterday.

In a touching ceremony after a flypast by a formation of four MiG-21 FL in its last sortie yesterday, Nagarajan handed over form 700 (document log of an aircraft) of the iconic delta-wing fighter aircraft to the Air Chief, symbolically drawing curtains on one of the most enduring saga in IAF aviation history.

Asked how it felt to be the youngest pilot to fly the MiG-21 FL and handing over the log to the senior-most pilot in the force at present to have flown the aircraft, he said, "the feeling was great. I can't explain. Its a great privilege."

A total of 15 aircraft of this MiG variant were functional in the IAF and all of these were based at Kalaikunda, an official source said.

"I feel very happy. Every time I am flying a MiG-21, I am closer to heaven," Nagarajan said, adding, "Once you are in the aircraft, you feel no one can touch you."

Pointing out that the sobriquet 'Flying Coffin' alluded to these MiG-21s, a number of which have been destroyed in accidents over the years, was a misnomer, he said, "There is nothing that this aircraft is dangerous. It is the same like any other aircraft."

Wing Commander Manav Kumaria, one of the pilots who flew the last sortie of the fighter aircraft that heralded the "supersonic era" in IAF, said "it is a momentous occasion. We have been practising for it."

Asked how he would rate the fighter jet, which dealt severe blows to Pakistan Air Force in the 1971 war, Kumaria said "It is a beautiful aircraft. It is a beautiful machine."

"MiG 21 FL is one of the best machines to fly," Kumaria opined, which was echoed by other three wing commanders who flew the last sortie alongwith him.

Regarding the terming of the aircraft as 'Flying Coffin', he said "if you consider the statistics, it is not right."

"I flew this aircraft for the first time in 1998. It has been ok," Kumaria said.

Bidding adieu to the machine, Air Marshall Browne said, "I have the greatest professional regard for MiG-21.

The agility of MiG-21 cannot be matched by any of the present day fighters."

"It is no wonder, therefore, that five generations of our combat pilots including myself, who have cut teeth on this veritable fighter swear by its unmatched combat prowess," he said.

"As a matter of fact, around 80 per cent of the currently serving fighter aircrew in the IAF have flown the T-77 aircraft and 90 per cent have flown one of the MiG variants at some time or the other in their flying career," the Air chief said.

Flying MiG-21 is like being closer to heaven: Indian Air Force pilot | NDTV.com

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles