Memorial Day - USA

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Memorial Day is a federal holiday observed annually in the United States on the last Monday of May.[1] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the fallen Union soldiers of the Civil War. (Southern ladies organizations and southern schoolchildren had decorated Confederate graves in Richmond and other cities during the Civil War, but each region had its own date. Most dates were in May.) By the 20th century Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died in all wars. Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] As a marker it typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.
Memorial Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Today I remember a high school classmate who joined the USAF and served as a navigator on a B-52. He suffered from diabetes, but because that condition would be a medical disqualification for flight duty, he somehow managed to conceal his disease from the medics. Finally, during a mission over North Vietnam, he had a seizure. His crew mates were unable to revive him and he died. His death was determined to be not combat related, and I don't know if his name appears today on the Vietnam War Memorial.

As I think about what my classmate did, I can't help to think that his determination to serve might have resulted in putting his fellow flight crew members at risk.

pmaitra

Happy Memorial Day to all, especially the veterans!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles