Meiyang Chang bags Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa trophy

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

It was a big day for Meiyang Chang. The Chinese Indian dentist-turned-singer-turned-actor won dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 and won Rs.50 lakhs, which he will share with his choreographer Marischa Fernandes.

He outperformed TV actor Sushant Singh Rajput, who was a consistent performer, and Yana Gupta, the Czech-born model-actress, who wowed everyone with her graceful dance moves.

'It's been a very nice journey. I never thought I'll stick around till the end. With such a good partner and the judges encouraging us so much, along with some hard work, we reached here. I'm very happy to be the winner and to be here,' said Meiyang, whose forefathers lived in China's Hubei province.

The 28-year-old's brush with fame began with his singing prowess and he participated in music reality show Indian Idol 3 in 2007 but couldn't win it. He then returned to Indian Idol as the host of the fourth season, but his anchoring skills were recognised when he was given a chance to be a presenter for the second season of the Indian Premier League in South Africa.

As an actor, he got a major break with Yash Raj Films' Badmaash Company, but the film didn't do well.

This is his first major victory. During his stint on Jhalak...., Chang, a non-dancer, showed tremendous improvement and finally belled the cat.

Bollywood diva Madhuri Dixit judged the show with Malaika Arora Khan and choreographer Remo D'Souza.

The highlight of the finale was Madhuri's superb performance on Que sara sara and Tamma tamma choreographed by Remo.

'All three were my favourites and any of these guys winning wouldn't have been a surprise for me because all of them are very good, especially Chang, because the show is all about people who turn into dancers from being non-dancers. So Chang was a great example of that,' said Remo.

'There was this thing when Sushant was performing brilliantly episode after episode but in the last episode, Chang scored more than him. This is a competition, a race, the person who plays the last shot brilliantly is the star and Chang did brilliantly in the finale episode,' he added.

The show that was aired on Sony Entertainment Television.

http://www.sify.com/movies/chinese-...hla-jaa-trophy-news-national-ldixadhcaah.html

Last edited by a moderator:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
The journey of a thousand miles...

I finally sit down with Grandma to ask her an unanswered & oft-asked question. WHY did my forefathers leave China for India? The answer is not as prompt as I expect it to be. Almost 200 years later, no one amongst the living in the family seems to know the exact reason & the details are sketchy at best. It is a story nonetheless, and I find myself listening intently to the bits & pieces that Grandma has to offer

"18th century Communist China: A country which was making rapid developmental strides and was hell-bent on strengthening it's military might. It was a time when a member or members of the family HAD to enlist in the armed forces. Only one child could stay back, the rest had to leave to prepare to die on the battlefield. Although serving the nation in such a capacity is a matter of honor & pride, no decision forced down one's gullet ever goes down well. So it was that my forefathers & their families expressed stern disapproval and decided to move to more secular & democratic shores. Those who could afford it boarded the boats to Burma and beyond. The rest, in an age devoid of motor vehicles, aircrafts and navigational equipment bore the journey to India in small groups through ice-capped mountains & hazardous forests on foot. They walked for weeks, sometimes months. Many fell prey to the elements, sickness, fatigue, hunger & ferocious cannibals. Those who survived made it to Calcutta, the then capital of British India and made it their first home. They brought with them their traditional professions of Dentistry, leather works & restaurants, many of which exist to this day in modern-day Kolkata. Hereon, the family-tree flourished to what it is today. They learnt the language, imbibed the customs & traditions. Some moved again to Canada, Australia & America when they could. The rest made India their permanent base, a place they called Home..."

Grandma's story ends here as I'm in a hurry to leave for a Doctor's appointment. Now that we've started, it whets my appetite for many more lingering questions. How did they manage to settle down in a country where no one spoke their language, let alone look like them? Where exactly in China do we hail from? What were my father's growing years like, born in 1948 - a year after Indian Independence? Did the Indo-China war of 1962 undo the good-will garnered over decades? Like a good page-turner the answers to these will have to wait, for this is a story for another time

It is indeed a pleasure to read what you have to post on my blog, be it praise, criticism or just general affection. And I thank you for the time you take for penning your thoughts

Of late, however, many of you've been writing to me in Chinese. I'm sorry to say that since I don't read or write the Chinese letter I cannot decipher a word of what you've written. I would love to hear from you, but in English or Hindi please, if you will. Till next time, God bless!
Posted by MEIYANG CHANG at Saturday, June 26, 2010

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Jolly good.

Not that I see all these shows, but it does prove that India is a big melting pot!

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Satta bazar lost Rs.200 crore due to chang win..........:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tolaha

18th century Communist China
What's a 18th century Communist China?

Sorry.. couldnt stop myself from nitpicking! :)

Tolaha

Havent tracked any of these shows seriously... but have been seeing this guy from quite some time on TV.
The song thing.. then the dance show.. this fella is winning everything!

Rage

DFI TEAM
What's a 18th century Communist China?

Sorry.. couldnt stop myself from nitpicking! :)
Yeah, where was China communist in the 18th century?

And developmental strides in the 18th century? China, at that time, was closeted from the world. Forced conscription I can certainly expect, since their leaders were wary of Western encroachment.

All the same, Congrats to Meyiang Chang! May he live long and prosper!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles