Maya Kodnani gets 28 years over role in deadly Gujarat riots

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You're right. This post made me thinking.
I dislike politicians of all hues.

They paint new vistas to whitewash their chicanery and the gullible buy it.

Imagine the white slave owners apologising. Would that wipe away the sorrows of the slaves who were uprooted from their native land and made to forget their roots?

But what was a greater service to the blacks was the valiant defence in the Amistad Case by former President John Quincy Adams. argued the defendants' case. Adams defended the right of the accused to fight to regain their freedom. The Supreme Court decided in favor of the Africans, and 35 of them were returned to their homeland. The others died at sea or in prison while awaiting trial.

I think this statement carries more conviction than an apology:

". . . each of them are natives of Africa and were born free, and ever since have been and still of right are and ought to be free and not slaves . . ."

S. Staples, R. Baldwin, and T. Sedgewick, Proctors for the Amistad Africans, January 7, 1840

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Those who do not know the Amistad case, it is summarised here:

In February of 1839, Portuguese slave hunters abducted a large group of Africans from Sierra Leone and shipped them to Havana, Cuba, a center for the slave trade. This abduction violated all of the treaties then in existence. Fifty-three Africans were purchased by two Spanish planters and put aboard the Cuban schooner Amistad for shipment to a Caribbean plantation. On July 1, 1839, the Africans seized the ship, killed the captain and the cook, and ordered the planters to sail to Africa. On August 24, 1839, the Amistad was seized off Long Island, NY, by the U.S. brig Washington. The planters were freed and the Africans were imprisoned in New Haven, CT, on charges of murder. Although the murder charges were dismissed, the Africans continued to be held in confinement as the focus of the case turned to salvage claims and property rights. President Van Buren was in favor of extraditing the Africans to Cuba. However, abolitionists in the North opposed extradition and raised money to defend the Africans. Claims to the Africans by the planters, the government of Spain, and the captain of the brig led the case to trial in the Federal District Court in Connecticut. The court ruled that the case fell within Federal jurisdiction and that the claims to the Africans as property were not legitimate because they were illegally held as slaves. The case went to the Supreme Court in January 1841, and former President John Quincy Adams argued the defendants' case. Adams defended the right of the accused to fight to regain their freedom. The Supreme Court decided in favor of the Africans, and 35 of them were returned to their homeland. The others died at sea or in prison while awaiting trial.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
===================================================================

So, in not so poetic words, the ans is -

Modi == Muhammad Ghori, the butcher, Modi == Hitler, killer of Jews, Modi == British Raj that plied India with atrocities, Modi == Shylock the Jew.

An apology from him would be equivalent to the guilty assuaging the feelings of the gullible.
Some for the pleasures here below
Others yearn for The Prophet's Paradise to come;
Ah, take the cash and let the credit go,
Nor heed the rumble of a distant drum

And much as Wine has played the Infidel
And robbed me of my robe of Honour, well ...
I often wonder what the vintners buy
One half so precious as the stuff they sell

For some we loved, the loveliest and best
That from His rolling vintage Time has pressed,
Have drunk their glass a round or two before,
And one by one crept silently to rest

But helpless pieces in the game He plays
Upon this chequer-board of Nights and Days
He hither and thither moves, and checks ... and slays
Then one by one, back in the Closet lays

"The Moving Finger writes: and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

The words carries the Verities of existence!

Very loaded!

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Personally, I find these apologies a whole lot of sham and a convenient instrument to shrug off the mass error and misery caused."¨"¨On a personal plane, one can apologise to a friend and that is accepted."¨"¨But what is a general apology?"¨"¨If the Mohammed Ghori could come alive and say, 'Hey chaps, well I am sorry. I was basically a butcher masquerading as an invader", would it change history or the woes and heartbreaks he caused."¨"¨If the British apologised for the Raj atrocities eg Jalianwalla Bagh, would it change anything? The Koh i Noor would still adorn the Queen's crown."¨"¨By apologising to the Jews, did it bring alive the numerous Jews annihilated?"¨"¨As I see it - No. "¨"¨The fashion these days of demanding an Apology is merely a clever political trick of the guilty playing on the gullible's psychology to wash away one's sin (provided it has been proved beyond doubt)."¨"¨As Omar Khayyam had written :"¨"¨The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, "¨Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit "¨Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, "¨Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it"¨"¨I am a great fan of Omar Khayyam.
"¨"¨"©I agree with 1st paragraph.But not with the rest. Hitler, ghori, etc. had done everything and accepted they ordered to do. While here the case is different, people say he should apologise because he failed to control the riots.Both are very different things.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Excellent result. Now waiting for the day when Modi is hanged for being the prime culprit in the riots.

Oracle

No, but neither do you.
I know that. But how can you make a statement that the Country would erupt? You know every single citizen of this Country or what they think? Or did you mean RW Extremists would erupt and vandalize property, incite and participate in riots? If that is the case, then you should know that nothing of that sort would happen.

Extremists wherever they are, mostly are internet terrorists making profound statements hiding behind the anonymity the internet provides. If Modi is awarded a (any) sentence, which is highly unlikely since most times it's the foot soldiers facing the axe, then be sure that there would be enough security arrangements provided for in advance. Even if a couple of 100 do come down on the streets, there would be police lathis, tear gas shells, water cannons and bullets waiting for them. And after 2 days, people will forget about Modi. Just like the case with terrorists like Maya Kodnani and Babu Bajrangi.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
I know that. But how can you make a statement that the Country would erupt? You know every single citizen of this Country or what they think? Or did you mean RW Extremists would erupt and vandalize property, incite and participate in riots? If that is the case, then you should know that nothing of that sort would happen.

Extremists wherever they are, mostly are internet terrorists making profound statements hiding behind the anonymity the internet provides. If Modi is awarded a (any) sentence, which is highly unlikely since most times it's the foot soldiers facing the axe, then be sure that there would be enough security arrangements provided for in advance. Even if a couple of 100 do come down on the streets, there would be police lathis, tear gas shells, water cannons and bullets waiting for them. And after 2 days, people will forget about Modi. Just like the case with terrorists like Maya Kodnani and Babu Bajrangi.
Yeah, right, you and what army would face such an eventuality?
Last time I checked, even the Army was incapable of snuffing out the Assamese riots completely, and that is a KhangreAss ruled state. Do you fancy a few water canons, lathis or for that matter bullets would stop the multitudes that support Modi? Stop having wet dreams.

natarajan

Even foot soldiers wont be hanged provided they are from congress favourite vote bank example kasab and afzal guru ,by your logic nehru was not hanged for anti brahmin riot after gandhi killing nor for sikh riot which was not communal clash but pogrom by congress members after indhira death,most probably this one would be to divert main issues ,that too after kasab death confirmation

Oracle

Yeah, right, you and what army would face such an eventuality?
Last time I checked, even the Army was incapable of snuffing out the Assamese riots completely, and that is a KhangreAss ruled state. Do you fancy a few water canons, lathis or for that matter bullets would stop the multitudes that support Modi? Stop having wet dreams.
Modi is supported by a handful of hardcore extremists in this Country who would take on the streets. Mostly are internet Hindus, spreading propaganda about everything non-Hindu and anti-Modi. And only on the internet and closed door pracharak meetings. RWs as a whole are not idiots, they are Nationalists too, but as I said amongst them are a few radical extremists. The population of those radical RW extremists is smaller than the stray dog population of any City, Town or village we talk about. That population is not enough to tackle stray dog menace let alone bring the administration to it's knees.

Oracle

Even foot soldiers wont be hanged provided they are from congress favourite vote bank example kasab and afzal guru ,by your logic nehru was not hanged for anti brahmin riot after gandhi killing nor for sikh riot which was not communal clash but pogrom by congress members after indhira death,most probably this one would be to divert main issues ,that too after kasab death confirmation
Being a RW you have every right to pursue your grievances in a Court of Law and get justice. If you hate Congress so much, why don't you do something about it other than crying. I base my judgement upon what the law says and what the Courts decide, your's is based on your personal hate.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Modi is supported by a handful of hardcore extremists in this Country who would take on the streets. Mostly are internet Hindus, spreading propaganda about everything non-Hindu and anti-Modi.
This statement nails it. You have successfully proved how disconnected you are from the nation, also proves your illiteracy to a greater extent. I hope Paramatma keeps both of us alive and well till 2014 as the answer to this insinuation will be given then, through action, not through words.

natarajan

Its purely wrong as modi was supported by many for his development but they are not going to protest like mumbai style protest done by peacefull religion who gathered in number equivalent stray dog population of any City in case modi faces charges no one from development supporters of modi going to protest like mumbai one.The timing of judgement after coal scam,assam riot ,kasab hanging confirmation shows something fishy .If modi viewed as extremist and supported by
hardcore extremists ,then what about omar abdullah cm of kashmir for blind attitude towards pandits cleansing or assam cm for allowing illegal immigrants and making bodo people regugees in their own land ? If modi supporters are hard core extremists then what about people who support communal congress or communist party ? Even muslims in Gujarat realised congress makes
them vote bank or group of goats for them to stay in power but in gujarat they have climbed up in career as well as social life.

Last edited:

natarajan

Being a RW you have every right to pursue your grievances in a Court of Law and get justice. If you hate Congress so much, why don't you do something about it other than crying. I base my judgement upon what the law says and what the Courts decide, your's is based on your personal hate.
Same thing applies to you if you hate modi , then why dont you do something rather than crying.Saying the truth makes me RW then if you say something then what wing you belong as this thread is on maya kodnani and not about modi i dont which wing you belong as you cannot answer my question you put me in RW ,if justice is equal then it should be applied to all cases but not exclusively to bjp alone

Last edited:

Oracle

This statement nails it. You have successfully proved how disconnected you are from the nation, also proves your illiteracy to a greater extent. I hope Paramatma keeps both of us alive and well till 2014 as the answer to this insinuation will be given then, through action, not through words.
Hanging onto straws now? Ignoring your personal attacks, what would 2014 prove? If BJP comes to power, would it be so coz' of Modi and Hindutva? In history, Modi will go down in ignominy, even if he's responsible for bringing BJP back to power in the Center. We pay for our sins in this world.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles