Mauritius offers India 2 islands in effort to preserve tax treaty

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Re: Mauritius could hand over 2 islands to India

The islands are a negotiating asset for them. It wont be a direct swap in the end. Whatever deal is arrived at, the islands should be a part of the package. Its worth it. Just look at the location. By 2050, we will be the single largest investor in Africa. There will be a lot of assets to protect.
I see where you're coming from and I understand that. But buddy, what to talk of protecting assets 40 years ahead when the mainland country itself is in danger..

If we had POK in our hands and could buy the Badaghshan Province from Afghanistan instead, it would be one helluva deal considering that it would have connected us to entire Central Asia.

The islands are fine for a package, but considering that our tax money gets squandered to havens like these, I have my reservations.

trackwhack

I see where you're coming from and I understand that. But buddy, what to talk of protecting assets 40 years ahead when the mainland country itself is in danger..

If we had POK in our hands and could buy the Badaghshan Province from Afghanistan instead, it would be one helluva deal considering that it would have connected us to entire Central Asia.

The islands are fine for a package, but considering that our tax money gets squandered to havens like these, I have my reservations.
Agree sir, but what is lost is lost. When an opportunity exists, we must grab it. Forget Central Asia. Our resource and trade future is Africa. This whole BS about this century being dominated by Chimerica can be overshadowed by the emergence of a strong African continent, ably supported by India. The sea lanes between Africa and India could replace Malacca as the most important.

And not to forget one point, as a nation we find ourselves in this mess today due to lack geo-strategic foresight and vision. Thinking about 40 years ahead is not just necessary, it is critical.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
France has bases near all sea transit routes except the Straits of Mallaca. It will complete the coverage.
Too far away...
Hi Armand - from what i understand , the french language is the most popular india ( after hindi and English ) .- so the french are still pretty popular in india -much more than Italian !!!!! - so hey cooperate more with out indian friends and France can still outdo the english in india - not too late - Vive Le France !!!!!!!

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

LalTopi

Even the Island would have to run a few Diesel generators and their would be all sort of supply issues and logistics.

What i am saying is we already have carriers which we can base of anywhere in IO region.

Ships do not requires any massive overhaul that to new ones like Vikramaditya or the IAC. Either way all we need is a listening post and a dock if required.
Aircraft carriers can be sunk. Islands cannot. If there is room for a squadran of fighter jets you can dominate the skies for a thousand miles around. This in addition to the base facilities for ships and subs, plus as Armand said sattelite launch options.

Why the procratination, just sign on the dotted line and get the darned islands. So what, if you lose some short term tax revenue for a long term strategic asset. The relationship with Mauritius itself is strategic in itself, otherwise why did India continue with the tax arrangements in 2006, without getting its hands on the islands.

LalTopi

The whole issue around tax money is more complex I think. It might actually lower tax revenues to get rid of the favourable tax arrangements as it would deter foreign investment in India via Mauritius. As to the rich Indian dudes using Mauritius to evade tax, well in my experience rich dudes the world over always manage to evade tax anyaway - its always the middle class that gets screwed, far better to keep a tight lid on spending and reduce tax overall. Also better to lose a bit of tax revenue via the Mauritus route - with the two islands - than lose it via another route with no strategic benefit.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles