Mapping

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The best American wall map: David Imus’ “The Essential Geography of the United States of America” - Slate Magazine

American mapmaking's most prestigious honor is the "Best of Show" award at the annual competition of the Cartography and Geographic Information Society. The five most recent winners were all maps designed by large, well-known institutions: National Geographic (three times), the Central Intelligence Agency Cartography Center, and the U.S. Census Bureau. But earlier this year, the 38th annual Best of Show award went to a map created by Imus Geographics—which is basically one dude named David Imus working in a farmhouse outside Eugene, Ore.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
What is a source for a good map of India at a scale of 1:250,000 or so?

pmaitra

trackwhack

Ewald you are still on my ignore list but I noticed your request from pmaitra's quote above :) Here are a couple of high resolution maps if your intention is to edit them. One of them has it broken down by districts and is from mapsofIndia, the second one also breaks out the districts but is a plain map that can be used to edit if the intention is to highlight some demography. Hope you find it useful.

Download links

http://i41.tinypic.com/30bfuq1.png

http://i42.tinypic.com/11kfmnp.jpg

Edit : Unfortunately, I am unable to add the second image due to space restrictions. Will find a work around and update.
Edit : Both added

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
These links are very useful; thanks to pmaitra and trackwhack. Mainly I wanted to get a map of India and neighboring countries to have on the wall to look at while logged on to DFI. The world map is too small a scale for the purpose.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles