Maoists kill 2 Senior Congress Leaders in Chattisgarh

bhramos

Country flag
[video=youtube_share;_1ODXuDyLqA]http://youtu.be/_1ODXuDyLqA[/video]

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
An emotional Jogi sobbed as he spoke to The Telegraph today. "I lost power nine years ago," he said. "Now destiny wants me to restore the Congress's lost glory."
He seems to be lost in his megalomania.

Sonia Gandhi refused to meet him when all that scandal broke out.

He will be a liability and the Congress will have even less of a chance than before.

I believe there is another contender to the post of CM.

WMD

"There is no balance on my cell connection and I don't have any money. Can you please call me back?"

This was Gudsa Usendi, Maoist spokesperson of the Dandakaranya Special Zone Committee, calling my colleague Uma Sudhir, apparently from somewhere in Chhattisgarh. It sounded amusing that this man representing the biggest internal security threat to the country, presumably flush with funds from extortion and other criminal activities, should be short of cash to top up his Sim card.

But when the same group carries out a dastardly attack like the one on Saturday, you obviously realise Usendi's talk was just a smokescreen, and that the Maoists indeed have enough 'talktime' left. And what's more, with decibel levels loud enough to make Lutyens' New Delhi, which is otherwise deaf to what happens in Chhattisgarh, sit up and take notice.
The Naxal attack on the Congress convoy wasn't surprising. PTI

After the manner in which the shoot-at-sight was carried out by the Maoists at Darba Ghat between Sukma and Jagdalpur, it would be naive to conclude that their firepower is on the wane just because they are occasionally silent. For those who understand how the Maoist mind works, this tactical counter offensive campaign was just waiting to happen.

On the face of it, the attack is a colossal failure on the part of the Chattisgarh police. The National Investigation Agency which has been entrusted the case, now has the task of finding out :

* Who cleared the decision of the Congress leaders to move together to Jagdalpur from Sukma in a convoy of 25 cars? And when?

* How many people were aware that many top leaders would be travelling together? Because it is obvious that even the Maoists would need sufficient time to mobilise more than 250 cadre. It certainly raises suspicion whether someone from inside the Congress or the police camp had leaked precise information about the tour plan well in advance. The Maoists knew Congress leader Mahendra Karma – the founder of the anti-Naxal Salwa Judum movement and at the top on the Naxal hitlist – was part of the group and according to eyewitnesses, even came asking for him. And after killing him, reconfirmed that it was indeed Karma.

* Bastar is Red territory and fraught with risk. And here was a route which included forest area with a hilly terrain with a height ideal for Maoists to take positions and attack. Moreover, it is a single lane stretch, which should have ideally had deployment of security personnel at the time of the convoy passing through it.

* Mahendra Karma, who had survived half a dozen attempts on his life, was provided with Z plus security. But what is the quality of this Z-plus security that runs out of ammunition?

Yesterday, the Congress party's spin doctors ensured Sonia Gandhi's anger at what the party thinks was not foolproof security for its leaders, was broadcast on electronic media. While her concern is understandable, Mrs Gandhi would do well to realise that looking at death in the face is pretty much a way of life for the thousands of tribals, as well as security personnel deployed in Chhattisgarh. In these parts, neutrality is not a virtue you can flaunt. You are either dubbed as a Maoist sympathiser or a police informer, and dealt with accordingly by either of the two gun-toting groups.

Just last week, a CRPF team killed eight villagers, three of them minors, in Bijapur district, while engaging with a Maoist group that was presumably hiding in the village. The killing created a furore in the area, with angry villagers demanding the CRPF go back. In many of these parts, the CRPF is seen as an alien creature, speaking Hindi (as opposed to the local Gondi language) and it is easy for the Maoists to dub them the 'enemy'.

Jairam Ramesh can call the death of his colleagues a "holocaust", but he ought to know Chhattisgarh sits on a ticking time bomb every single day. I recall this conversation I had with a constable from Giddam police station, 15 km from Dantewada town two years ago. I asked him if he feels safe when he is travelling to and back from work.

"We are always in mufti, Sir. Not in uniform," he replied.

"But in this small place, everyone including Maoists would know you are a constable, wouldn't they," I probed.

The veneer of bravado crumbled. "Yes they do and that makes me an easy target. In fact, when I came here first, I would look at just about everyone with suspicion, thinking any one of them or all of them could be a Maoist," he said.

Do you hate the Maoists, I asked. "There is no such feeling,", he said. "We represent the state and they have vowed to overthrow the state by using the gun. So if I come face to face with a Maoist, whoever pulls the trigger first will live to fight another day. Simple."

The fact is that while the top brass of the Congress is indulging in chest-beating over the killing of its own, it has never quite bothered beyond routine condolence messages when Adivasis, CRPF or Koya tribals appointed as special police officers on a stipend, were killed. I have seen bodies of the 76 security personnel who were killed in the Chintalnar massacre in April 2010, lying even 18 hours after their death outside the primary health centre in Sukma in the blazing sun. A long was time taken to fill their details in government forms before the bodies were taken away to perform the last rites. Sensitivity wasn't shown even after they were no more.

Amresh Mishra, who was then SP of Dantewada, told me that the first thing he did when the bodies arrived, was to order bulbs for the primary health centre. Four days later, when we visited the injured at the health centre, they were lying on blood-stained bedsheets. How come there was no chest-beating then? Rahul Gandhi should realise that the killing of those 76 people and numerous others after that, including through fake encounters, were as much an attack on democracy as this one on his party men.

While he is in Chhattisgarh, Rahul Gandhi would do well to visit a CRPF camp and talk to the jawans there. If their superiors allow them to talk freely, they will tell him if there is a hell on earth, it is there. Where life is all about thinking how death will reduce them to a mere statistic in the state's glorified war against Naxalism.

Chhattisgarh attack: Why Sonia, Rahul have many lessons to learn - Firstpost

Twinblade

Country flag
@Yusuf Maoists Rockets are more unreliable than 15th Century Cannons.:)
Well you are in for a surprise in that case. They have Mechanical Engineers designing their arsenal for them, and the designs are improving with time.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/maoists-master-skill-of-making-weapons/article3269662.ece
The recent arrest of a top Maoist leader, Sadanala Ramakrishna alias Dokra, has thrown more light on the vast network of these units.

Dokra, who holds a mechanical engineering degree from the Regional Engineering College (renamed as National Institute of Technology) in Warangal, was the chief of the Technical Research and Arms Manufacturing (TRAM) units. He is stated to be an exceptionally intelligent engineer

Crucially, the designs of the RLs and rockets were found to be vastly improved, as compared with the RLs seized in Andhra Pradesh (AP) and in Chennai (Ambattur) in 2006. The recoveries, then, had been made with the surrender of Thota Kumaraswamy alias Srinivasa Reddy alias Tech Madhu, on November 4, 2006. Tech Madhu was the mastermind behind two projects in Chennai in 2003 – 'Rocket Launchers-I' and 'Rocket Launchers-II'. While RL–I was a pilot project designed to manufacture rockets with a launch pad, RL–II was for the development of shoulder-mounted RLs and rockets. Madhu subsequently disclosed that he had received INR 3.5 million from the outfit to manufacture 1,600 RLs in Ambattur, which were subsequently dispatched to Darsi (400), Kandukur (200) in Prakasham District, Mahbubnagar (600), and Kadapa (300) in AP, while the remaining were damaged during shipment. However, at that time, the Police failed to trace 200 RLs sent to Darsi, while the remaining consignments were recovered.

According to reports, the efficiency of the rockets seized after the surrender of Tech Madhu was estimated at about 60 per cent, while the RLs seized in March 2012 scored 90 per cent accuracy. A senior Police officer noted, "Until December, 2005 they were experimenting with rocket launchers by making modifications to their old designs. They prepared the latest model recently and the seized launchers are perhaps the first batch adopting the latest design."
http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/sair/Archives/sair11/11_14.htm

These crude rockets have a range of 100 meters tops, but for jungle warfare that range is more than enough. The warhead is the usual fragmentation warhead for maximizing casualties of personnel they are being used against.

Last edited by a moderator:

t_co

Well you are in for a surprise in that case. They have Mechanical Engineers designing their arsenal for them, and the designs are improving with time.
Maoists master skill of making weapons | The Hindu

Maoists: Growing Arsenal | Arunachal Pradesh: Loose Ends | South Asia Intelligence Review (SAIR), Vol. No. 11.14

These crude rockets have a range of 100 meters tops, but for jungle warfare that range is more than enough. The warhead is the usual fragmentation warhead for maximizing casualties of personnel they are being used against.
The fact that they are making rockets themselves suggests that they don't have access to large amounts of heavy weapons.

I wonder how that dynamic would shift if they started receiving anti-tank missile launchers, MANPADS, and automatic grenade launchers...

Iamanidiot

The fact that they are making rockets themselves suggests that they don't have access to large amounts of heavy weapons.

I wonder how that dynamic would shift if they started receiving anti-tank missile launchers, MANPADS, and automatic grenade launchers...
ask CCP to supply them

mikhail

Country flag
Indians have no human right, no need to care about human right when it comes to Indians, just kill as much as you want.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
so now a chini will lecture us Indians about Human Rights:shocked:!God this is some real funny stuff:lol:!the words "China" and "Human Rights" are completely of the opposite pole!does Tienmann Square rings a bell or two in your mind:wave:!

t_co

ask CCP to supply them
Such a move is not necessary unless India decides to cast its lot with the US/Japan or apply pressure on Chinese shipping in the IOR. So long as China and India can continue to peacefully coexist, then both sides should refrain from exacerbating internal security issues for the other.

Indeed, both sides should attempt to lessen these internal security problems; I am all for China restricting the underground flow of arms to the United Wa State Army (which possibly supplies the Naxals) if India delivers the Dalai Lama, Lobsang Sangay, and other members of the Tibetan Government in Exile to Beijing on a one-way flight.

mikhail

Country flag
You should know India has been sponsoring tibetan terrorists for quite a long time.

And this is no terror attack at all. Unlike tibetan terrorists who targetted innocent civilians, Hans or non-Hans, people got killed in this case were mainly working for indian goverment.

This is more like armed uprising.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
TIbetians have every right to take up arms against those Han occupiers,it was your country that attacked a sovereign State(read Tibet) in 1950 and occupied it forcefully killing and raping innumerable Tibetians!
but as we are a peaceful democracy we have chosen not to arm the Tibetian Resistance and hence the only ones who are getting killed in Tibet are the peaceful Tibetians themselves:mad:!
now you need not to worry about these maoist scums as their days are numbered!we have been killing these mofos like stray dogs for the past couple of years and by God's grace we'll finish off the last of them before the end of this decade..they have committed a cardinal sin by attacking and killing our politicians,so now they are gonna pay for that dearly:cool2:

t_co

so now a chini will lecture us Indians about Human Rights:shocked:!God this is some real funny stuff:lol:!the words "China" and "Human Rights" are completely of the opposite pole!does Tienmann Square rings a bell or two in your mind:wave:!
Have you ever heard of the phrase 'tu quoque'?

mikhail

Country flag
Such a move is not necessary unless India decides to cast its lot with the US/Japan or apply pressure on Chinese shipping in the IOR. So long as China and India can continue to peacefully coexist, then both sides should refrain from exacerbating internal security issues for the other.

Indeed, both sides should attempt to lessen these internal security problems; I am all for China restricting the underground flow of arms to the United Wa State Army (which possibly supplies the Naxals) if India delivers the Dalai Lama, Lobsang Sangay, and other members of the Tibetan Government in Exile to Beijing on a one-way flight.
you know we can't do that under any circumstances.His Holiness the Dalai Lama is respected by countless Indians and foreigners for his non-violent passive resistance to the chini authority!moreover he is the spiritual head of hundreds of thousands of Indian Buddhists.hence we just can't hand him over to the chini authority!
but if China stop arming pakistan and ditch it in favor of India hten perhaps we can think about not casting our lot with the U.S.-Japan alliance:ranger:!

t_co

you know we can't do that under any circumstances.His Holiness the Dalai Lama is respected by countless Indians and foreigners for his non-violent passive resistance to the chini authority!moreover he is the spiritual head of hundreds of thousands of Indian Buddhists.hence we just can't hand him over to the chini authority!
Well then it appears we will keep doing our thing while you continue to do yours...

but if China stop arming pakistan and ditch it in favor of India hten perhaps we can think about not casting our lot with the U.S.-Japan alliance:ranger:!
Nope, that won't happen unless India and Pakistan make peace between themselves first. China would be happy to scale back support for Pakistan if Pakistan was no longer under consistent threat of invasion from a neighbor more than 4x its size.

mikhail

Country flag
Have you ever heard of the phrase 'tu quoque'?
then why do you guys have perhaps the worst Human Rights record in the entire world(i am talking about all the developed and developing countries here)!perhaps you should answer my question first.

mikhail

Country flag
Well then it appears we will keep doing our thing while you continue to do yours...

Nope, that won't happen unless India and Pakistan make peace between themselves first. China would be happy to scale back support for Pakistan if Pakistan was no longer under consistent threat of invasion from a neighbor more than 4x its size.
if you can't scale down the supply of arms and ammo to pakistan how can you expect us to turn our back on Japan and Vietnam as both of these countries are facing imminent threat of invasion from a neighbor who is atleast 10 times their size!

t_co

then why do you guys have perhaps the worst Human Rights record in the entire world(i am talking about all the developed and developing countries here)!perhaps you should answer my question first.
I won't answer your question, because I have no need to. We have never claimed China stands for human rights; nor are we advocating that India adopt a soft approach here. Indeed, the recommended actions I put up in prior posts should be proof positive that I think India should adopt a hard, unrelenting approach, even if it means temporarily turning Bihar and Chhatisgarh into full-fledged war zones. I would prefer the IAS go in with special ops backed by judicious use of airpower, using targeted killings to go after individual Naxal leaders, taking the family members of high-ranking Naxals prisoner and denying those inmates food or water for every day the Naxals do not turn themselves in, and offering recalcitrant villages the choice between giving up Naxals and receiving development aid or harboring Naxals and being flattened by fuel-air explosives and artillery.

All @nimo_cn and I have been observing in this thread is the inherent hypocrisy of those in India who are calling for something like the approach I just illustrated, but can in the same breath condemn the Chinese government in the PRC's wholly legitimate attempts to keep its population in line and focused on the singular goal of national greatness and becoming a superpower instead of squabbling over petty and antiquated notions.

Last edited by a moderator:

t_co

if you can't scale down the supply of arms and ammo to pakistan how can you expect us to turn our back on Japan and Vietnam as both of these countries are facing imminent threat of invasion from a neighbor who is atleast 10 times their size!
India has the publicly stated Sundarji doctrine and Cold Start calling for limited territorial incursions to cut off Pakistan's GHQ from its largest cities; I'm curious as to what public PLA doctrine calls for the PLA to be ready to cut apart Japan or Vietnam in 72 hours or less.

Plus, China isn't even the largest supplier of arms and ammo to Pakistan. There's another country across the ocean who supplies Pakistan more than 10x the amount of military aid that China supplies them, including Pakistan's only field-tested nuclear delivery system. By your reasoning, India shouldn't start with Japan or Vietnam; it should start with Iran. Perhaps India can put its excellent relations with the Islamic Republic to good use?

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles