Maoist Affected Districts in India

Mark Kennedy

Would anyone have a current list of worst affected districts within the states experiencing the worst Naxal violence in 2012? I have found a government list that covers 2008 but have been unable to locate any current list.

Thanks

Rage

DFI TEAM
@Mark Kennedy, are you looking for Maoist-affected districts?

I think you need to explain your query properly if you want an answer.

Assuming you are, I am going to go forward and answer this.

By my information, and this is validated by the SATP, the number of Maoist-affected districts across the country has recorded about an 18% decline between 2008 and 2011/12.

I'll just quickly run through a list of the worst-affected districts for each of the 6 most Maoist-affected states. Click on the state's names for more detailed info. The figures in brackets at the end indicate the number of districts out of the total from which fatalities were reported in 2011-12.

Orissa: Malkandgiri, Koraput, Kandhmal, Nuapada, Raygada, Jajpur, Sundhargarh, Keojhar, Bolangir, Nabarangpur, Kalahandi and Bargarh. (12/30).
Jharkhand: Gumla, Latehar, Khunti, Lohardaga, Palamu and West Singhbhum, Hazaribagh, Chatra, Bokaro and Ranchi, Sarai-Kharsawan, East Singhbhum, Giridh, Dhumka, Pakhur and Simdhega. (16/24), Jharkhand was the worst affected state in 2011.
Madhya Pradesh: Balaghat, Shahdol, Annupur, Dindori, Rewa and Singrauli. (6/50).
Chattisgarh: Bastar, Bijapur, Dantewada, Kanker, Narayanpur, Rajnandgaon and Raipur. (7/16). Chattisgarh witnessed the most high-casualty incidents of violence of all the states but a rather secular decline in Maoist activity.
Bihar: Jamui, Gaiya, Aurangabaad, Sheohar, Lakhisarai, Rohtas, Banka, Kaimur, East Champaraan, Monghyr and Patna. (11/38). Buxar has been the one previously-affected district that has improved the most.
Assam: Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Golaghat, Dhemaji, Sivasagar, Lakhimpur, Jorhat, and Dibang Valley, and the Lohit district of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh. (10/27). Although no or few casualties have been reported from these districts and the state has been relatively calm and peripheral for a long time w.r.t. the insurgency, Assam is one state with a red-watch for growing Maoist activity.

If you compare the scale and scope of Maoist violence in 2007, and today there is significant recorded improvement.

Among the other states, peripherally affected by Maoist violence, Andhra Pradesh has seen the most improvement. Assam and Karnataka are two states with a code-amber for the spreading of the volatile insurgency. Both of these have deputed special teams to deal with the insurgents.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

drkrn

man i don't really understand why andhrapradesh as a whole is shown as severely affected.we have literally eliminated them from our bavkyard.we are almost now minimally affected by maoists.

Rage

DFI TEAM
man i don't really understand why andhrapradesh as a whole is shown as severely affected.we have literally eliminated them from our bavkyard.we are almost now minimally affected by maoists.
Simple answer. It is not. Red Terror is declining in all but the states of Jharkhand and Assam.

natarajan

Wherever there is abundant natural resources ,our netas and babus play dirty politics to earn trillions of dollars from them and they drive out native people from there by all illegal means .This act has resulted in people taking up arms ,you can see states with more natural resources are mostly affected

Mark Kennedy

Thank you very much for your response. It was helpful.

Mark

@Mark Kennedy, are you looking for Maoist-affected districts?

I think you need to explain your query properly if you want an answer.

Assuming you are, I am going to go forward and answer this.

By my information, and this is validated by the SATP, the number of Maoist-affected districts across the country has recorded about an 18% decline between 2008 and 2011/12.

I'll just quickly run through a list of the worst-affected districts for each of the 6 most Maoist-affected states. Click on the state's names for more detailed info. The figures in brackets at the end indicate the number of districts out of the total from which fatalities were reported in 2011-12.

Orissa: Malkandgiri, Koraput, Kandhmal, Nuapada, Raygada, Jajpur, Sundhargarh, Keojhar, Bolangir, Nabarangpur, Kalahandi and Bargarh. (12/30).
Jharkhand: Gumla, Latehar, Khunti, Lohardaga, Palamu and West Singhbhum, Hazaribagh, Chatra, Bokaro and Ranchi, Sarai-Kharsawan, East Singhbhum, Giridh, Dhumka, Pakhur and Simdhega. (16/24), Jharkhand was the worst affected state in 2011.
Madhya Pradesh: Balaghat, Shahdol, Annupur, Dindori, Rewa and Singrauli. (6/50).
Chattisgarh: Bastar, Bijapur, Dantewada, Kanker, Narayanpur, Rajnandgaon and Raipur. (7/16). Chattisgarh witnessed the most high-casualty incidents of violence of all the states but a rather secular decline in Maoist activity.
Bihar: Jamui, Gaiya, Aurangabaad, Sheohar, Lakhisarai, Rohtas, Banka, Kaimur, East Champaraan, Monghyr and Patna. (11/38). Buxar has been the one previously-affected district that has improved the most.
Assam: Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Golaghat, Dhemaji, Sivasagar, Lakhimpur, Jorhat, and Dibang Valley, and the Lohit district of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh. (10/27). Although no or few casualties have been reported from these districts and the state has been relatively calm and peripheral for a long time w.r.t. the insurgency, Assam is one state with a red-watch for growing Maoist activity.

If you compare the scale and scope of Maoist violence in 2007, and today there is significant recorded improvement.

Among the other states, peripherally affected by Maoist violence, Andhra Pradesh has seen the most improvement. Assam and Karnataka are two states with a code-amber for the spreading of the volatile insurgency. Both of these have deputed special teams to deal with the insurgents.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Kennedy

Frankly, my research shows Andhra Pradesh to be minimally affected now.

Thanks
Mark

Rage

DFI TEAM
Thank you very much for your response. It was helpful.

Mark
Cool. Let me know if there's any other way for us to help. If you're writing an essay, you might want to browse through some of the several articles recorded on these sites:

India: Maoist Disarray In Odisha - Analysis Eurasia Review
Terrorism | SATP l South Asia Terrorism Portal
Beyond Naxalbari: Maoist Insurgency & Counterinsurgency in India l Telangana Utsav Committee
IDSA- Internal Security | Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses
SSPC- Society for the Study of Peace and Conflict

Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles