Man hurls shoe at PM in Ahmedabad, held

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
CNN-IBN

http://ibnlive.in.com/pix/sitepix/04_2009/shoe_throw313.jpg
MARKED FOR MANMOHAN: A combo image of the PM and the man who threw a shoe at him in Ahmedabad.

Ahmedabad: A man attempted to throw a shoe at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh while he was addressing an election rally in Ahmedabad on Sunday.
The shoe didn’t reach the Prime Minister, who was giving a speech when the incident took place. The man who hurled the shoe was identified as Mukesh Chauhan and was immediately overpowered by security officials and taken away.It is not known yet why Chauhan threw the shoe and whether he is affiliated to any political organisation.

The Prime Minister stopped for a moment during his speech at Tagore Hall in Paldi as one of his Special Protection Group (SPG) personnel ran towards the spot where the shoe had landed. The shoe landed about 20 feet away.

Sources tell CNN-IBN has instructed Congress leaders in Gujarat to tell the police not to register a complaint against Chauhan and he has forgiven him.
On April 7, a Sikh journalist threw a shoe at Home Minister P Chidambaram to express his protest against the Congress fielding candidates accused in anti-Sikh riots of 1984.

That incident was followed by attacks on Congress MP Naveen Jindal and BJP leader L K Advani.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The shoe hurling have set up a bad precedent in the Indian politics. This got to be stopped by some law.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Shoes flying thick and fast lately !!!

LOL !!! In my opinion, all this shoe throwing is becoming less a reflection of genuine anger but is just an attempt to gain publicity and 15 seconds of fame...

If I don't like my teacher, I'll throw a shoe at him...

If I don't like my parents, I'll throw a shoe at them...

Mods, be very careful, if some member is disgruntled, there may be shoes flying your way too... hehehehehehe...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
On a lighter note, we can try these smilies on ....

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Yep, you beat me to it... I was going to suggest a shoe throwing smiley myself... hahahahaha... You have my vote !!!

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Can't these idiots be charged with assault at least? Chidambaram shouldn't have pardoned the first man. At least a minimum punishment to these ppl will deter further incident.

johnee

trust modi to come up with some thing new and innovative. modi had a basketball net erected before the stage to protect himself from cappals and shoes when he was speaking in a rally.

as for the shoe throwing spree, well it has caught on, thanx to the extensive publicity our sensational media gave to that journalist who threw a shoe on chidambaram. he was even invited as a special guest in debates by some media channels. so, basically he was made a hero. now, there are more wannabe heroes who are trying to get their 15min of fame by throwing shoes and chappals at imp political figures.
surprisingly, no one threw it on yuvraaj or godmother till now. I guess dynasty still is above any average indian.

also, throwing shoe is pretty safe since it does not invite any harsh punishment under any law presently.

should throwing shoe be made illegal. I am not sure. shoes are instilling atleast some fear in our otherwise aloof politicians. maybe shoes can do the trick. but I am against this powerful weapon(shoe) to be used regularly without any proper issue to backup.
shoe can be a statement if its done at a right time in right way. in times when alliances and votebank politics are making a mockery of ppl's mandate, wat can a ordinary citizen do to make his voice be heard by the power that rule us: throw a shoe.....

ha ha.....

PS: the shoe of the journalist did achieve his objective:jagdish tytler and sajjan kumar are not contesting in elections.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
should throwing shoe be made illegal. I am not sure. shoes are instilling atleast some fear in our otherwise aloof politicians. maybe shoes can do the trick. but I am against this powerful weapon(shoe) to be used regularly without any proper issue to backup.
shoe can be a statement if its done at a right time in right way. in times when alliances and votebank politics are making a mockery of ppl's mandate, wat can a ordinary citizen do to make his voice be heard by the power that rule us: throw a shoe.....
But it puts a bad precedent and undermines the national image too. Ur statement can be achieved through vote , opinion can be voiced through media .. today we are laughing on shoe incident.. tomorrow it will be brick .. next day a bullet.. it doesn't take much to escalate a situation out of control and hilarious to hideous.

Flint

You guys are taking this too seriously. This is election season hence the magnanimity. One time too many and the politicians are going to request the police to file charges. That'll put an end to it.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
The shoe hurling have set up a bad precedent in the Indian politics. This got to be stopped by some law.
No laws in a democracy can stop such an act, BTW why should we ban it?
If people have the right to praise your good deeds they also reserves the right to express their anger, being an PM doesn't means that we should bow in front of them though the post of PM is a respectable position itself. To note is that the shoe is projected to MMS not to the PM of India.

Mods its upon you how to treat with my post, I only express my views.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
MMS IS the PM of India.
Does that mean that we should bow to MMS? moreover he was in an election rally.

I have a question: is it possible to book that man under an anti national act?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
So if he's in a rally, he stops being the PM? The man who threw the shoe should be charged with attempted assault or something.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
assault of expression, so what should be the punishment?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
In India we practise the government of the people not the people of the government.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
assault of expression? Lol. You do know that regardless of how much you disagree with someone, you cannot punch them in the face or throw a shoe at their face to express disagreement? That's assault, and police could arrest you for that.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I am no lawyer but whats the difference between throwing flowers and throwing shoes?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles