Maldives Crisis: News & Discussion

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
GoI needs to wait for the upcoming humanitarian crisis and use it as casus belli for intervention.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Are you saying that for Indian muslims, Indian interests are not important? If Indian politicians really think like this even in national security issues then were are screwed.
It should not be that for any community or any religion, Indian interest is sacrificed.

However, through the annals of independent India, it has been instilled that to be fashionably acceptable, one has to keep the desires, demands and whines of Muslims, especially their so called religious and political honchos, paramount. Note: I have not used the word 'minority' because even when it is used, it is actually used as a politically correct word for the word 'Muslim'. I wonder if the grievances of the other minorities have ever been addressed or shown the alacrity shown towards Muslims.

The UP election has thrown up such raging controversies over the Muslim vote wooing through the most disgraceful manner that even the Election Commission, headed by a Muslim, has been embarrassed! To imagine, such a suave, educated, high born and a wise Muslim, who has not faced the problems of the poor Muslim, has in a most disgraceful and guttersnipe manner is wooing Muslim votes!

To imagine Batala House has to feature prominently now. It is the Congress Govt which has declared it is a genuine encounter and yet Digvijy Singh and others indicate that it was a massacre!! What does it indicate? Vote catching or otherwise? Or is the Congress a coterie of daft people suffering from a heavy dose of schizophrenia?

The Gujarat riots issues suddenly finding importance after remaining dormant. Why now? For Muslim votes? If one has to maintain relentless pressure on Modi, it should be not by fits and starts depending on the convenience to do so and the flavour of the season!

Given this skulduggery, it does appear that the entity called India is secondary. Importance is vote catching, morally, immorally, by fair means or foul, mostly foul! It does give a impression that this country is full of skulduggery and dishonest approach to nationhood.

I find this is chicanery being practised upon the nation.

If indeed it is true that fundamentalists are crowding the new Govt of Maldives, is it not surprising that while the last time India went hotfoot to Maldives, she has fought shy this time and is using silly excuse that there was fears of the US? There were no feat the last time India interceded?

It maybe a coincidence, but the manner how the Congress Party (UPA) has approached the UP elections with such guttersnipe ploys to win the Muslim vote, does indicate that it has indeed influenced India's response to the coup in Maldives! It is said it is not a coup and that it is just a change of Govt! Fair enough, but I find that removing a President at gunpoint is hardly a democratic manner of removing a Head of State!!

Let politicians carry out their dirty ways, but it is time for us Indians to stand up as a Nation and not be identified by our differences in religion, community, language and so on!

Last edited:

Illusive

Country flag
@ Ray sir

Spot on, to come to power these politicos have stooped too low. These fundamentalists dictating terms to our action is a big worry if this decision for maldivies non intervention was influenced by them. The radical threat is in our home and not just Maldives.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One must be proud to be an Indian.

And not sell himself to fraudulent and crocodile tears that these politicians have for the so called minorities (meaning Muslims).

If indeed the politicians had any concern for the Muslims, then they had 63 years to uplift them.

The politicians have uplifted only their hopes for the duration of the elections and then left them to pick up crumbs and make them appear as beggars.

We are one.

No one requires to be mollycoddled.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Let us look at the best Indian we have had in recent times - APJ Abdul Kalaam.

Ha anyone any harsh word about his intellect, fairness, justice and his being a proud and upright Indian?

He is not only a Muslim, but from the fisherfolk class!

And yet, he braved the odds and through sheer dint of his intellect and hardwork rose to be a President of our country.

And to believe, he was a BJP nominee!

Shows his being a true Indian, where his religion and class did not matter and he was embraced by all as the tallest Indian.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am amazed how indoctrinated we are.

We show crocodile tear concern for the Muslims and do damn all otherwise!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
BG Ray for President!

What have I done to deserve the crown of thorns?

Last edited by a moderator:

Parthy

Air Warrior
Ousted Maldives president warns India it would lose influence to China

Dejected by the cold shoulder given by India, ousted Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheed said today that New Delhi has taken his party "for granted" and may lose "leverage" to China under the new regime.

Calling himself a great lover of India, Nasheed said unlike the opposition Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) of former dictator Abdul Gayoom, his Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) was pro-India by ideology.

"My question to Indian establishment is that if they think we did not perform, do they think this is a better option?" asked the 44-year-old who was the first democratically elected President of Maldives, who ascended to power in 2008 after a democratic revolution overthrew Gayoom's 30-year-rule.

"Unlike PPM, we are a group of people who strongly believe in India, their role and functions in Indian Ocean and the relationship that we want with India," he said speaking to PTI at his residence.

This is not the first time Nasheed has expressed unhappiness with India's response to the political crisis that saw him being deposed last week in what he termed was a coup.

Last week, Nasheed made it plain that he was disappointed that India responded to the crisis without understanding the ground situation in his country.

Nasheed said while India and the US both had failed to gauge the ground reality, it was the smaller European nations that are trying to find out what the situation is and what will be best way forward.

He said India must understand the situation in Maldives and it was "very strange" if it has not.

"The thing is India takes us for granted unlike the PPM. I think this is the biggest reason, a more logical reason. They know we will be with them. It is an ideological thing for us," said the former president.

Nasheed said China will now start playing a more active role in the country and hinted that Maldives National Defence Force is keen to renew a defence agreement with Beijing.

"They (China) will certainly play an active role now. They will play much-much more active role," Nasheed said.

He said when his party came into the government in 2008, there was a defence agreement with China.

And this was supposed to have been renewed in 2009 and "I didn't".

"I had this paper on my desk even two weeks back. The MNDF had sent me the letter again saying I have to sign it. And this time they said I have to sign it," he said.

As unrest continues on Maldivian streets, Nasheed's successor Mohamed Waheed Hassan, is working to put into effect an effective national unity government.

On Sunday, Hassan inducted seven new members from different parties into his cabinet, including two prominent members from the PPM.

Nasheed, whose demand for a snap election has not received support from India, said if Indian government needs to serve its interests, "it must serve the interest of the Maldivians".

"Did we disturb Indian sensitivities? You can't find a bigger Indian lover than me. Even if they say a thing against India, that is like saying it against me," Nasheed said.

"We never articulated anything anti-Indian and my party has also not done that".

India had accepted the new government of Hassan soon after he was sworn in as the new President, a move that has upset both Nasheed and his Maldivian Democratic Party.

Told that even the US and United Nations had not offered the kind of support that he had hoped for, the former President said, "Once India says something then it does not matter what the UN or anyone says".

Nasheed said he would visit India once the current situation becomes normal and will talk to his "friends".

Nasheed today also vowed to take his fight to the country's Parliament, which is scheduled to start its session on February 23, and even threatened a civil disobedience movement as a last resort.

Meanwhile, the Maldivian Police sought a statement from him in connection with its probe into the controversial order issued by him to arrest a top judge.

Asked if India's move was a setback to its long-term interests, he said, "I think it a very-very bad setback in longer terms".

"We are their friends and we are the people with whom they can talk. I have always said that," he said.

He said Maldives has very strong pro-India sentiments but it is "losing its leverage in Maldives".

Asked if he ready to forget everything if he comes back to power, Nasheed said, "I certainly am".

Nasheed, whose supporters have continued to take to the streets and have also alleged a violent crackdown, said he was never going to sign the defence agreement with Beijing.

"They will probably sign it but there is no point of this agreement with China. Why do we need that... the more tear gas they can have, the more they are going to fire at our people. We are fine. We don't need all these things," Nasheed said.

According to sources, China has been active in Maldives through its economic diplomacy.

The Foreign Ministry office here along with the National Museum were built by the Chinese.

In Hulumale island, Chinese firms had undertaken the largest housing project in the country building 1000 houses.

Incidentally, Ambassador of China accredited to the Maldives, Yu Hongyao had met President Hassan yesterday.

Highlighting the long existing diplomatic relations between the two countries, Ambassador Hongyao assured that the Chinese government was ready to work closely with the new government of the Maldives, a statement issued by the President's office had said.

Ousted Maldives president warns India it would lose influence to China - The Times of India

sob

Mod
Country flag
It should not be that for any community or any religion, Indian interest is sacrificed.

However, through the annals of independent India, it has been instilled that to be fashionably acceptable, one has to keep the desires, demands and whines of Muslims, especially their so called religious and political honchos, paramount. Note: I have not used the word 'minority' because even when it is used, it is actually used as a politically correct word for the word 'Muslim'. I wonder if the grievances of the other minorities have ever been addressed or shown the alacrity shown towards Muslims.

The UP election has thrown up such raging controversies over the Muslim vote wooing through the most disgraceful manner that even the Election Commission, headed by a Muslim, has been embarrassed! To imagine, such a suave, educated, high born and a wise Muslim, who has not faced the problems of the poor Muslim, has in a most disgraceful and guttersnipe manner is wooing Muslim votes!

To imagine Batala House has to feature prominently now. It is the Congress Govt which has declared it is a genuine encounter and yet Digvijy Singh and others indicate that it was a massacre!! What does it indicate? Vote catching or otherwise? Or is the Congress a coterie of daft people suffering from a heavy dose of schizophrenia?

The Gujarat riots issues suddenly finding importance after remaining dormant. Why now? For Muslim votes? If one has to maintain relentless pressure on Modi, it should be not by fits and starts depending on the convenience to do so and the flavour of the season!

Given this skulduggery, it does appear that the entity called India is secondary. Importance is vote catching, morally, immorally, by fair means or foul, mostly foul! It does give a impression that this country is full of skulduggery and dishonest approach to nationhood.

I find this is chicanery being practised upon the nation.

If indeed it is true that fundamentalists are crowding the new Govt of Maldives, is it not surprising that while the last time India went hotfoot to Maldives, she has fought shy this time and is using silly excuse that there was fears of the US? There were no feat the last time India interceded?

It maybe a coincidence, but the manner how the Congress Party (UPA) has approached the UP elections with such guttersnipe ploys to win the Muslim vote, does indicate that it has indeed influenced India's response to the coup in Maldives! It is said it is not a coup and that it is just a change of Govt! Fair enough, but I find that removing a President at gunpoint is hardly a democratic manner of removing a Head of State!!

Let politicians carry out their dirty ways, but it is time for us Indians to stand up as a Nation and not be identified by our differences in religion, community, language and so on!
Sir, with your permission I would like to share these words with my friends. They reflect what has been on my mind for a very long time, but never could express myself so eloquently.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir, with your permission I would like to share these words with my friends. They reflect what has been on my mind for a very long time, but never could express myself so eloquently.
Please feel free to pass it around.

I feel sorry for India.

We are so distracted with the irrelevant!

Reactions: sob

Galaxy

Country flag
Hindu images razed in Maldives museum

Hindu images razed in Maldives museum

Feb 15, 2012

COLOMBO: The Maldives' national museum reopened on Tuesday without some of its most valuable exhibits a week after a mob of suspected religious extremists smashed images from the pre-Islamic era of this Indian Ocean archipelago.

About 35 exhibits, mostly images of Buddha and Hindu gods, were destroyed in the attack. Some of the artifacts dated back to the sixth century, museum director Ali Waheed said.

Waheed says 99% of the Maldives' pre-Islamic artifacts from before the 12th century, when most inhabitants were Buddhists or Hindus , were destroyed.

"Some of the pieces can be put together but mostly they are made of sandstone, coral and limestone, and they are reduced to powder," he said. The mob of suspected Muslim extremists attacked the museum during the Maldives' unfolding political crisis.

The country has seen weeks of protests and last week president Mohamed Nasheed stepped down.

The attack was the latest blow to the island nation that is best known as a high-end tourist destination.

Hindu images razed in Maldives museum - The Times of India

Galaxy

Country flag
This is what happens once country turns into Islamization. another example...... :wave:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Great!

and our good Govt was sitting on its haunches when the coup was taking place.

Such a great intelligence network we have that we were totally clueless as to what is the background of those taking over!

And what an excuse - worried about US reaction!

Galaxy

Country flag
The Process of Islamization started many years back. It's just in last few years, Things changed a lot. IMO, It's Pakistan behind it. Small population and 95%+ Muslim population makes the job easy for them.

Actually It's very big risk for us. There are around 1,200 Islands. 2 days ago, ex-president said "Don't be surprised if Maldives become Friend of China". But It's Pak. China won't support Islamization because that will be negative for them in long run specially backlash in Xinjiang. What will happen, if 1-2 Islands are given to Pak or any other enemy country ?? It's danger.

Our Diplomacy has failed. On one side, we want permanent membership in U.N.S.C but on other hand, After failing in Countries like Myanmar, Sri Lanka, even Nepal. Now failing in Maldives too. Make no mistake, BD is with us until AL is in power. Recent Military coup is also alarming there.

This is serious issue and we need to take some aggressive and active steps on International stage specially in neighboring countries otherwise we have to sing the song "Ekla Chalo Re"

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles