Malaysia: Halloween 'banned' by Islamic authority

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Malaysia: Halloween 'banned' by Islamic authority

A Halloween dog parade: Unlikely to catch on in Malaysia

Muslims in Malaysia should not celebrate Halloween, the country's National Fatwa Council has announced.

The council, one of Malaysia's highest Islamic bodies, says Halloween is a Christian celebration of the dead and "against Islamic teachings", in a fatwa issued on its website. "Halloween is celebrated using a humorous theme mixed with horror to entertain and resist the spirit of death that influences humans... It cannot be celebrated by Muslims," it says. Instead, the council advises Muslims to remember the dead by reciting prayers and reading the Koran. There are concerns among some Muslim groups in the country that Halloween is too Western and "could wrongly influence local Muslim youths," the Malay Mail website reports. In Negeri Sembilan, western Malaysia, an international primary school has been told it must apply to the local education department to get approval for its private Halloween party, after a protest by Muslim groups, according to Free Malaysia Today.

Earlier this month the National Fatwa Council ruled that touching dogs is un-Islamic, in response to an event called "I want to touch a dog", in Bandar Utama. The event gave Muslims a chance to stroke dogs, an act traditionally seen as unclean. People who took part in the event followed religious cleansing rituals after being in contact with the dogs, Channel News Asia website reports.
BBC News - Malaysia: Halloween 'banned' by Islamic authority
During Shab e Barat, which also involves praying at the graves of the departed is also celebrated with festivity.

Sale of fireworks ahead of Shab-e-Barat
Sale of fireworks ahead of Shab-e-Barat
Interestingly, when in a bind blame it on "Hindu practice" being adopted by Muslims.

So, Christian practices not fine for Malaysian Muslims?

Dogs are dirty?

But as usual, all that is covered with total hypocrisy as this:
Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom said Islam revered all animals, including dogs. However, Muslims must adhere to the stipulated Islamic code with regards to touching dogs.

Read more: 'Touching dogs against mainstream Islamic practice in Malaysia' - The Rakyat Post - The Rakyat Post
Revered all animals, including dogs but no touching a dog!

Some reverence indeed!

Malaysia is a schizophrenic country?

But in a way Malaysia is right, given the manner in which the world is observing the Muslims, it is a natural reaction of the fundamentalists who govern the State to ensure that the followers are kept under strict control lest they get influenced by the world and dilute the Faith and the resolve to take on the world.

Soon they might ban pork products that are sold in supermarkets.

But then the Chinese Malaysians, who control the Malaysian economy, may put the spanner in the works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The sad part is that these fundamentalist organisations like the Fatwa blokes are only driving the Muslims into the corner and doing Islam no good over frivolous issues.

Here is what the self appointed custodian of Islam is doing

How come he does not follow the Islamic injunctions?

And yet can claim to be a true and pious Muslim?

Should he not do a ritualistic cleansing?

Ashutosh Lokhande

Isn't it celebrated only in america.
not really. i happen to visit a pub yesterday night in mumbai and yes the theme was halloween with all the staff in spooky costumes and in the character.
although i would agree that the festival is not as celebrated as the way they do it in US. (trick or treat types)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Isn't it celebrated only in america.
India too is getting westernised.

We indulge in Valentine, Halloween and so many other such festivities, also Gay Pride Parades and all that. Even if these activities are not indigenous.

Keeping up with the Joneses, so to say.

That is basically to show that 'we have arrived'!

apple

Quote from the article:

Muslims in Malaysia should not celebrate Halloween, the country's National Fatwa Council has announced.

The council, one of Malaysia's highest Islamic bodies, says Halloween is a Christian celebration of the dead and "against Islamic teachings", in a fatwa issued on its website. "Halloween is celebrated using a humorous theme mixed with horror to entertain and resist the spirit of death that influences humans... It cannot be celebrated by Muslims,"​

The council should brush up on its understanding of Abrahamic religions. Halloween is not Christian, it is a European Pagan tradition. The council would have a made a better point if they knew what they were talking about.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Quote from the article:

The council, one of Malaysia's highest Islamic bodies, says Halloween is a Christian celebration of the dead and "against Islamic teachings", in a fatwa issued on its website. "Halloween is celebrated using a humorous theme mixed with horror to entertain and resist the spirit of death that influences humans... It cannot be celebrated by Muslims,"​

The council should brush up on its understanding of Abrahamic religions. Halloween is not Christian, it is a European Pagan tradition. The council would have a made a better point if they knew what they were talking about.
Oct 31- All Hallows Eve
Nov 1- All Saints/Hallows Day.

Of course like a lot of other Christian feasts (Easter, Christmas) Halloween also borrows heavily from Pre-Christian Pagan systems of the regions, and so can be considered a continuation of the Pagan festival.
This was done to make the transition from Pagan Systems into a Christian system, easier/more acceptable for the masses.

Last edited:

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Islamic clergy like to make a fool of themselves by trying to regulate everything.

Sooner or later Muslims will get sick of this religion. It is a faith that can seem to coexist with the modern age.
They will quietly leave the faith.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This fatwa is widely criticised in Malaysia. But the fatwa only applies to Malaysian Muslims. Even then a lot of my Muslim relatives like dogs and all their children like Halloween and Christmas treats. I can conveniently tell you that majority of Malaysians do not agree with that religious order. You can blame it on the desire of Razak to copy Erdogan for UMNO.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This fatwa is widely criticised in Malaysia. But the fatwa only applies to Malaysian Muslims. Even then a lot of my Muslim relatives like dogs and all their children like Halloween and Christmas treats. I can conveniently tell you that majority of Malaysians do not agree with that religious order. You can blame it on the desire of Razak to copy Erdogan for UMNO.
I am aware that Muslims behave most non Moslem in Malaysia.

Girls wearing tudungs slip them off to drink beer, but always wary of the Moral Police.

Even if they do not agree, the Moral Police will make them do what the clerics want.

HOW THE MORAL POLICE WORK

And before serving food and drinks the passengers would first have to make a declaration that he or she is not a Muslim. I do not think we need to go so far as to ask them to drop their pants so that the stewardesses can check whether they still possess foreskin (even though I would not refuse to do so) because even non-Muslims sometimes are circumcised as well (and the Jews as well).

NO HOLDS BARRED

Raja Petra Kamarudin

I really do not know why Muslims love attracting unnecessary controversy, which in the end would allow 'others' to whack the Malays, Muslims and Islam. I mean it is like wearing a sign on your back that says 'kick me'.

When I first saw the news report below I mulled over whether to just ignore it or to write about it. If I ignored it then the non-Malays or non-Muslims would whack me and accuse 'we liberals' or 'silent majority' of tacit approval. I mean, silence means consent, right? So if you remain silent that means you support what is being said and done.

But then if I do write about it and I whack the Minister in question, the other Malays-Muslims would accuse me of being a traitor, of being anti-Islam, and of giving 'ammunition' to the non-Malays and non-Muslims to use against the Malays-Muslims.

Either way one side or the other is going to whack me. I talk I get whacked, I remain silent I get whacked — damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Anyway, I have decided to address this, which may make quite a number of Malays-Muslims unhappy because when I do address such issues I am never kind and I never mince my words or use four-letter words sparingly.

The issues here are (1) whether Muslim-owned establishments should open for business before 3.00pm (meaning for breakfast and lunch) during the fasting month and (2) whether Muslims should be allowed to buy food before 3.00pm (since they are supposed to be fasting).

There is a third issue as well. The Perak Mufti said it is haram for Muslims to break their fast in establishments that sell liquor but we shall talk about that later.

If we enforce this 3.00pm ruling then MAS is going to face a problem if they lock up all the food and drinks and refuse to serve the passengers any food or drink until after 3.00pm. MAS will lose a lot of business — not that it is doing great as it is already.

What about government-owned hotels (and there are many)? Do they also close down the kitchen, restaurant and coffee house and not open for business until after 3.00pm? If they do that then is it not better that they just close down the entire hotel for a month during the month of Ramadhan?

So Muslim-owned establishments must not sell food and drinks to Muslims until after 3.00pm. But how do we know who is fasting and who is not? What if that particular customer suffers from some illness that does not allow him or her to fast? Are we going to demand to see a letter from a doctor (and it has to be a Muslim doctor) that says the bearer of this letter must eat every two hours and for health reasons cannot fast?

Maybe we can solve the problem regarding MAS by employing just non-Muslim flight staff. Then there will not be a single Muslim staff amongst the crew (not even in the cockpit). So MAS can then continue serving food and drinks on its flights 24-7 and not just after 3.00pm.

And before serving food and drinks the passengers would first have to make a declaration that he or she is not a Muslim. I do not think we need to go so far as to ask them to drop their pants so that the stewardesses can check whether they still possess foreskin (even though I would not refuse to do so) because even non-Muslims sometimes are circumcised as well (and the Jews as well).

Now, MAS serves liquor. So, since it is haram for Muslims to break fast in establishments that sell or serve liquor, all the Muslim passengers must not break their fast on the flight. They need to hold back (even if it is 10 hours) until they touch down and then break their fast.

But the airport (even in Muslim countries) also sells liquor so they cannot also break fast in the airport. They need to wait until they leave the airport. And if they happen to be on a 12-hour transit while waiting for the next flight then they will need to abstain another 12 hours, get on the next flight, touch down at the next destination, and then leave the airport to break fast.

This may mean they need to fast for 24 hours but if this will ensure you do not break your fast in a haram way I am sure God will multiply your credits by leaps and bounds.

Aiyah! I don't want to write any more today. Fed up already. I think I will just go and play my drums. Sigh"¦..Bye"¦.

Muslim eateries cannot sell food to Muslims before 3pm, minister explains

(Malay Mail Online) – Muslim restaurants are barred from selling food before 3pm to Muslims who are fasting, Islamic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom explained, amid public outcry over the government's latest restriction for Ramadan.

Jamil Khir pointed out that it was "not reasonable" for fasting Muslims to purchase food before 3pm.

"It is not reasonable for Muslims to buy meals before 3pm unless they are not fasting," he was quoted saying yesterday by The Star today.

He admitted that it would be too rigid for the government to dictate a restaurant's opening hours but said the 3pm rule on Muslim patrons was necessary to ensure they do not skip their fast during Ramadan.

"We have to enforce this rule (of no sales before 3pm) so as not to encourage people to skip their fast," he said.

Last Saturday, Jamil Khir similarly said that Muslim eateries who defied the 3pm rule during the fasting month risk punishment, with the New Straits Times local daily reporting that they would face a RM300 compound and seizure of their equipment.

Yesterday, The Malay Mail Online reported the Malaysian Muslim Restaurant Owners Association (Presma) president Noorul Hassan Saul Hameed as saying that some of his 3000-odd members are "still confused" as the government had not provided them with the "proper guidelines" on the 3pm rule.

Pointing to fast-food restaurants which Kedah said would be exempted from the 3pm rule, Noorul questioned the enforcement that he said smacked of "double standard", pointing out that Muslims could still go to such outlets to eat during fasting hours.

It was "unfair" not to enforce the same ruling on fast-food outlets that carried the halal certification like all other Muslim-operated eateries, he said.

During the whole fasting month which started on June 29, Muslim restaurants would stand to lose out if they were barred from selling food to non-Muslims before 3pm while also incurring high rental and overhead costs, he said.

One factor that should also be weighed is that certain Muslims exempted from fasting such as young children and women who are menstruating would still need to eat and buy halal food during fasting hours, he had told The Malay Mail Online.

In another report by local daily The Star today, Noorul also said that Islam does not prohibit Muslims from operating food outlets during the fasting month.

He also said the 3pm rule was a "short-sighted solution" as Muslims could still buy food from food courts in supermarkets and from convenience stores.

How the moral police work | Malaysia Today
Malaysian police arrest 52 unmarried Muslim couples for being alone together in hotel rooms

Fifty-two unmarried Muslim couples face charges of sexual misconduct and possible jail terms after being caught alone in hotel rooms by Malaysia's Islamic morality police.

Scores of officers fanned out across budget hotels in central Selangor state before dawn on January 1, knocking on doors and detaining unmarried Muslim couples who were sharing rooms, according to a spokesman for the Selangor Islamic Department.

The detained, mostly students and young factory workers, are expected to be charged with 'khalwat,' or 'close proximity'.

Under Malaysia's Islamic Shariah law is described as couples not married to each other being alone together in a private place.

'We chose to have this large-scale operation on New Year's Day because many people are known to commit this offense while celebrating such a major holiday,' said the spokesman Hidayat Abdul Rani.

In Selangor, 'khalwat' carries a maximum penalty of two years in prison and a fine.

The Shariah laws apply only to Malaysia's Muslims, who make up nearly two-thirds of the population, and not to the Christian, Buddhist and Hindu minorities.

More than 43,000 Malaysians protested online over a court ruling allowing a Catholic paper to use the word 'Allah' to describe the Christian God.

A group page on social networking site Facebook was drawing 1,500 new supporters an hour on Monday as last week's court ruling split political parties and even families.

Among those who signed up for the protest were Deputy Trade Minister Mukhriz Mahathir, the son of Malaysia's longest serving prime minister, Mahathir Mohamed,.

But Mahathir's daughter, Marina, called critics of the court decision 'idiots' in her weblog.

The government said it had filed an appeal against the court ruling amid concerns the issue could cause religious and racial conflict in this country of 28 million which has large Christian, Buddhist and Hindu minorities.

'The problem is that there will be lots of doctrines and principles promoted that would totally contradict Islamic theology... there is a danger to public order here,' said Shad Saleem Faruqi, a constitutional law lecturer with Universiti Tekonologi Malaysia.

The Facebook page, named in Malay as 'Protesting the use of the name Allah by non-Muslims', said that the group was for Muslims 'who realise that this is propaganda to confuse Muslims now and in future'.

The Catholic Church, which publishes a Malay version of its newspaper, The Herald, says that it uses the word 'Allah' for the Christian God to meet the needs of its Malay speaking worshippers on the island of Borneo.

'There should not be a cause for concern because some people have got the idea that we are out to convert (Muslims), but not at all, there is no question of this,' said Father Lawrence Andrew, the newspaper's editor, told Reuters.

The ruling by the Kuala Lumpur High Court followed a ban imposed by the government on the weekly Herald in January last year over the use of the word 'Allah' by Christians.

The government had argued that the use of the Arabic word might offend the sensitivities of Muslims who make up 60 percent of Malaysia's 28 million population, while Christians - including about 800,000 Catholics - make up about 9.1 per cent.

The Herald circulates in Sabah and Sarawak on Borneo Island where the indigenous population converted to Christianity more than a century ago and where the word has been commonly used in prayer for decades.

Malaysia's ethnic Chinese and Indian communities abandoned the ruling coalition in the 2008 general elections in part due to unease over an increasing Islamisation in the country.

In 2008, the government that has ruled Malaysia for 52 years suffered its worst ever results in national and state elections and Prime Minister Najib Razak has sought to address the fears of minority groups by adopting an inclusive racial programme called '1Malaysia'.

Najib has appealed for calm pending the appeal but the government, like the country's three-party opposition grouping, is wary of upsetting the Malays, who form a critical vote bank.

Mahfuz Omar, the vice-president of the opposition Pan Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), said the main government party, the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), was politicising the issue.

'This shows that UMNO is taking opportunity on this issue to whip up Muslim sentiment so that they unite and see UMNO as the champion of Islam,' said Mahfuz in a statement on Monday.

The Malaysian moral police have been in the news recently on more than one occasion.

Last year, a Muslim model was sentenced to be caned by authorities after being caught drinking beer at a nightclub.
Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, was sentenced to six lashes by an Islamic court after she was caught with alcohol in a raid on a hotel nightclub in eastern Pahang state.

Amnesty International had urged authorities to 'immediately revoke the sentence to cane her and abolish the practice of caning altogether'.

But Miss Shukarno accepted her punishment and even asked for the caning to be carried out in public to send a clear message to Muslims that they should shun alcohol.

Earlier the same month, the Malaysian government banned Muslims from attending a Black Eyed Peas concert because the event is organised by Guinness.

The U.S. hip-hop stars were due to perform at a theme park near Kuala Lumpur as part of worldwide celebrations marking the 250th anniversary of Guinness' flagship brewery in Dublin.

The nation's strict Sharia laws has been the focus of world attention.

In some cases, such as with 'khalwat', academics and authorities have discussed imposing the code on non-Muslims in the country as well.

The Malaysian moral police have been in the news recently on more than one occasion.

Last year, a Muslim model was sentenced to be caned by authorities after being caught drinking beer at a nightclub.
Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, was sentenced to six lashes by an Islamic court after she was caught with alcohol in a raid on a hotel nightclub in eastern Pahang state.

Amnesty International had urged authorities to 'immediately revoke the sentence to cane her and abolish the practice of caning altogether'.

But Miss Shukarno accepted her punishment and even asked for the caning to be carried out in public to send a clear message to Muslims that they should shun alcohol.

Earlier the same month, the Malaysian government banned Muslims from attending a Black Eyed Peas concert because the event is organised by Guinness.

The U.S. hip-hop stars were due to perform at a theme park near Kuala Lumpur as part of worldwide celebrations marking the 250th anniversary of Guinness' flagship brewery in Dublin.

The nation's strict Sharia laws has been the focus of world attention.

In some cases, such as with 'khalwat', academics and authorities have discussed imposing the code on non-Muslims in the country as well.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-52-unmarried-Muslim-couples-hotel-rooms.html
Malaysia Valentine's Day raids lead to mass arrests

Islamic morality police in Malaysia have arrested more than 80 Muslims in an operation to stop them celebrating Valentine's Day.

Officers raided budget hotels in the central state of Selangor and capital, Kuala Lumpur, detaining unmarried Muslim couples who were sharing rooms.

The religious authorities in Malaysia say Valentine's Day is synonymous with immoral activities.

Those arrested could be jailed for up to two years if convicted.

The anti-Valentine's Day campaign by the country's Islamic authorities goes back to a fatwa issued in 2005.

'Not suitable'
On Monday evening, religious enforcement officers launched co-ordinated raids, targeting budget hotels and public parks in Selangor and Kuala Lumpur.

In Selangor alone, officials said 80 people were detained for khalwat or close proximity - an Islamic law that prevents unmarried Muslims from being alone with someone of the opposite sex.

In the capital, officials detained 16 mainly teenage Muslims, who had paid about 50 ringgit (£9) for a hotel room for two hours, according to a report from the AFP news agency.

The raids stem from a campaign launched last week by the religious authorities, called Mind the Valentine's Day Trap.

The government-run Department of Islamic Development said Valentine's Day was "synonymous with vice activities" and that it contravened Islamic teachings.

Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin had labelled Monday's celebration as "not suitable" for Muslims.

Other faiths were not affected by the boycott in a country where Muslims make up nearly two-thirds of the 28 million population.

But not all Malaysian Muslims agreed with the campaign, with some saying Valentine's Day is harmless.

Human rights groups say actions such as the Valentine's Day ban harm Malaysia's image as a moderate and progressive Muslim-majority state.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12466875

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@Ray

The problem in our case is that the Government is willing to tolerate if not ride these Religious fundamentalist. The rise of a strong opposition to UMNO has ironically moved the latter closer to the religious fundamentalists. But I think more and more of the younger Muslims are for moderation. You can see it from the support for the opposition (but there are also reactionary forces within Malaysia's youth, as everywhere in the World).

Last edited by a moderator:

apple

Oct 31- All Hallows Eve
Nov 1- All Saints/Hallows Day.

Of course like a lot of other Christian feasts (Easter, Christmas) Halloween also borrows heavily from Pre-Christian Pagan systems of the regions, and so can be considered a continuation of the Pagan festival.
This was done to make the transition from Pagan Systems into a Christian system, easier/more acceptable for the masses.

OK.... and your point is? (Pagan) Seasonal festivals and certain Christian events have been linked in time. No one know's when Jesus was born, but Christmas has become very Christian. Easter is Christianity's most important event, but isn't Christian's countries biggest holiday, which would be Christmas. Summer solstice is mainly for hippies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles