Malala clinches $3 million deal to publish her memoir

Blackwater

LONDON: Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl shot in the head at point-blank range by Taliban for advocating girls' education, has become a millionaire by signing a deal for around USD 3 million to publish her memoir.:mad::mad::mad:

"The life story of a 15-year Pakistani girl who was shot by the Taliban will be published later this year, in a deal reported to be worth around 2 million pounds (USD 3 million)," the UK-based Guardian newspaper reported.

The book, titled "I am Malala", will be published by Weidenfeld & Nicholson in the UK and Commonwealth and by Little, Brown in the rest of the world, the paper said, adding that a spokeswoman for the publisher could not confirm reports about the value of the publishing deal.

"I want to tell my story, but it will also be the story of 61 million children who can't get education," Malala said.

"I want it to be part of the campaign to give every boy and girl the right to go to school. It is their basic right."

She said: "I hope this book will reach people around the world, so they realise how difficult it is for some children to get access to education."

Malala escaped death by a matter of inches when she was shot on a school bus in north-western Pakistan on October 9, 2012 - as the bullet entered just above her left eye and ran along her jaw, grazing past her brain.

The Taliban had said they targeted Malala because she promoted girls' education and "Western thinking".

Surgeons in Pakistan removed the bullet before she was air-lifted to the UK for life-saving treatment at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.

Last month Malala was discharged from the hospital after she had an operation to rebuild her skull and restore hearing. She has now returned to school and joined the girls in Year 9.

Malala's family are currently living in the West Midlands. Her father has been appointed education attache at the Consulate of Pakistan for the next three years.

She began writing a blog on the BBC Urdu service under a pseudonym about life in the Swat Valley in 2009. She was shot after her real identity became known. Since the shooting, Malala has been awarded several peace prizes and is the youngest person to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...al-to-publish-memoir/articleshow/19253194.cms

tramp

Now that Mushy is back in Pakistan watch out for his comment on Malala... he might even say Malala got herself shot so that she could land this deal.. just like he said after Mukhtaran Mai case that women want to get raped for publicity abroad.

kseeker

Retired
ISLAMABAD: A ceremony to launch teenage rights activist Malala Yousufzai's book at a Pakistan university has been scrapped on the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa government's intervention on the grounds that it could not provide security for the event.

The book 'I am Malala' was to be launched on Tuesday at the University of Peshawar.

The Bacha Khan Education Foundation (BKEF), Strengthening Participatory Organisation (SPO) and Area Study Centre had planned the ceremony.

"It (cancellation of the launch) is against the spirit of freedom of expression and promotion of education because holding a ceremony in honour of Malala Yousufzai means to scale up awareness about child rights," Dr Khadim Hussain, director of the BKEF was quoted as saying by the Dawn daily.

He said they had been informed by police late Monday that they could not provide security for the programme.

"I was stopped by many people, including ministers, the vice-chancellor, registrar and police, from holding the programme," Area Study Centre's director Sarfraz Khan said.

The Pakistani Taliban, which had shot at Malala in 2012, had earlier warned shopkeepers in the region not to keep the book in their stores.

The report of the government stopping the book launch was criticized by many on various social media networks.

"Pathetic of gov to ban #Malala's book. This is censorship ! Where is our freedom of speech and expression?," Aseefa Bhutto Zardari tweeted.

Adil Ansari, the head of cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan's party's social media wing tweeted, "Launching of book 'I Am Malala' was being organized at Pak Area Study Center, Peshawar University which is violation of rules & regulations".

The report quoting sources said the director was first contacted by provincial local government minister Inayatullah Khan, who belongs to Jamaat-e-Islami, and then by information minister Shah Farman of the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf () asking him to stop the book launch.

"But the director made it clear to them that the ASC was an autonomous centre which did not come under the jurisdiction of the provincial government. After that he was approached by the vice-chancellor and registrar and both of them called for stopping the ceremony," the report said.

Finally, the head of the Campus Peace Corps, which comes under the provincial police chief, "categorically" told the director that they were not in a position to provide security, the sources said.

However, when contacted, Inayatullah Khan said: "I never spoke to anyone regarding the book launching programme."

Farman was not available for comments, the report said.

Malala book launch scrapped at Pakistan university - The Times of India

kseeker

Retired
PESHAWAR: A Pakistani university intending to hold a ceremony to launch a book by teenage activist Malala Yousafzai, shot by the Taliban, called off the event over security concerns in the country's northwest on Tuesday, government and university officials said.

Sarfraz Khan, director of the Area Study Center of the University of Peshawar, said the ceremony was to launch Malala Yousafzai's book " I am Malala.'' But campus police told him to cancel the event due to safety concerns.

"Last night, first the provincial information minister asked me on the phone to cancel the ceremony. Then, my vice-chancellor informed me that the event should be cancelled due to security reasons,'' he said.

The move angered the organizers.

"We had planned the event to launch Malala's book, but we were forced by police to cancel it,'' said Khadim Hussain, an official at the Bacha Khan Trust charity, which had planned the ceremony.

He accused the provincial government of influencing the university to call off the event for political reasons.

Shah Farman Khan, the information minister in the capital of Khyber Paktunkhwa province, insisted that the university call off the event because he thought it was being organized at an "improper place.''

"The Area Study Center of the university was not a suitable place for holding this ceremony,'' he told reporters in Peshawar, which has witnessed scores of gun and bomb attacks in recent years.

The 16-year-old Malala is an advocate for education who spoke out against the Taliban. She was shot in the head in October 2012 while she was going home from school in Mingora, the main city in the northwestern Swat valley where militants had a strong base at the time.

She was initially treated in Pakistan, but was later flown to a hospital in Britain, where she now lives with her family.

The girl comes from the same region that was once home to Mullah Fazlullah, the new head of Pakistani Taliban.

Fazlullah was elevated to that position after the former chief, Hakimullah Mehsud, was killed in a US drone strike on November 1 in the North Waziristan tribal area bordering Afghanistan. Fazlullah's group often targets Pakistani security forces, police and government officials in the girl's province and elsewhere in the country.

Pak university cancels Malala's book launch over security concerns - The Times of India

tramp

Officially there is no ban but I guess the govt will cite law and order issues and prevent promotional meetings from taking place.

Blackwater

Officially there is no ban but I guess the govt will cite law and order issues and prevent promotional meetings from taking place.
may be dispute between taliban and malala on royality million of $$ malala earned through this book.

after all taliban are equalliy responsible for her lime light

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
may be dispute between taliban and malala on royality million of $$ malala earned through this book.

after all taliban are equalliy responsible for her lime light
If there were no Talibunnies then there would have been no Malalalalalalalala.

Talibunnies DESERVE some share. :lol:

boris

Country flag
What a massive slap on the face of all those women who silently endured all the abuses from the Taliban and some who paid the price by getting executed. Those who are alive still face these risks and the even bigger one the moment US withdraws. This lady had the international committee's sympathy when the assassination attempt was confirmed by the Taliban when such threats are made and executedon a daily basis and dare I say those Pakistani soldiers who are actually fighting the TTP have been forgotten by the bleeding hearts.

Don't even get me started on the Nobel nomination which is the committee's way of saying f**k you to all the hardworking scientists who toil decades to win the prize in their categories, the peace prize is now a joke.

Some lady tweets a lot and then gets shot, is made into a hero and parades around the world giving the speech of peace etc etc knowing jack that she has just been used as an anti-Taliban pawn.

The book will sell well thanks to all those bleeding hearts liberal morons in the US,UK who even their military has started despising.

tramp

Are you feeling jealous?

Very easy, go get shot and then write your book. Or else keep your foul trap shut.

What is really your point? The girl was shot at and survived... but she did not remain silent whether there was some prodding or not. And she remains a major embarrassment for the Taliban and closet Taliban supporters like you.

Are you saying she should have remained silent and suffered in silence? Why does her book become a "slap" on the silent sufferers, instead of an inspiration to revolt against the cowards of Taliban?

Pakistani army has abdicated its responsibility of helping establish rule of law in the lawless mountains... they have acted hand in glove with the mullahs and have just kept up appearances of fighting Taliban with an eye on Uncle Sam's purse strings.

What a massive slap on the face of all those women who silently endured all the abuses from the Taliban and some who paid the price by getting executed. Those who are alive still face these risks and the even bigger one the moment US withdraws. This lady had the international committee's sympathy when the assassination attempt was confirmed by the Taliban when such threats are made and executedon a daily basis and dare I say those Pakistani soldiers who are actually fighting the TTP have been forgotten by the bleeding hearts.

Don't even get me started on the Nobel nomination which is the committee's way of saying f**k you to all the hardworking scientists who toil decades to win the prize in their categories, the peace prize is now a joke.

Some lady tweets a lot and then gets shot, is made into a hero and parades around the world giving the speech of peace etc etc knowing jack that she has just been used as an anti-Taliban pawn.

The book will sell well thanks to all those bleeding hearts liberal morons in the US,UK who even their military has started despising.

boris

Country flag
Are you feeling jealous?

Very easy, go get shot and then write your book. Or else keep your foul trap shut.

What is really your point? The girl was shot at and survived... but she did not remain silent whether there was some prodding or not. And she remains a major embarrassment for the Taliban and closet Taliban supporters like you.

Are you saying she should have remained silent and suffered in silence? Why does her book become a "slap" on the silent sufferers, instead of an inspiration to revolt against the cowards of Taliban?

Pakistani army has abdicated its responsibility of helping establish rule of law in the lawless mountains... they have acted hand in glove with the mullahs and have just kept up appearances of fighting Taliban with an eye on Uncle Sam's purse strings.

Closet Taliban supporter!! I'd say you keep your foul trap shut.

You see my avatar, someone who supports a force like the SAS will never ever support the Taliban, you have no idea how much I hate them.

My point is yes she got shot,survived and that is great but no point in pushing it further. There are others who suffered and Malala's speeches are not going to stop the TTP unless all civilians in Swat take up arms against them, till then its US drone strikes that lead the way.

And again you are partially incorrect the Pakistani's have helped the Afghan Taliban not the TTP.

tramp

Yes, they have been on a tango with good and bad Taliban deliberately ignoring the fact that its the same riff raffs who once in Pakistan is TTP and once in Afghanistan is the rotten ones. .. however much you try to conceal your sympathies, it will keep showing.

Closet Taliban supporter!! I'd say you keep your foul trap shut.

You see my avatar, someone who supports a force like the SAS will never ever support the Taliban, you have no idea how much I hate them.

My point is yes she got shot,survived and that is great but no point in pushing it further. There are others who suffered and Malala's speeches are not going to stop the TTP unless all civilians in Swat take up arms against them, till then its US drone strikes that lead the way.

And again you are partially incorrect the Pakistani's have helped the Afghan Taliban not the TTP.

boris

Country flag
@tramp

It is not sympathy but eternal hatred for paki's, be it the TTP or Malala. I hate them all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles