'Make in India' for 90 medium combat jets

Anshu Attri

Country flag
'Make in India' for 90 medium combat jets

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Make-in-India-for-90-medium-combat-jets/articleshow/48318408.cms

NEW DELHI: In another major step towards self reliance in the defence sector, a plan is being finalised to produce 90 Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) in India, informed sources said.

A Request for Proposal (RFP) is expected to be drafted soon after the new Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) comes in place.

Expected to be one of the biggest projects under the Make in India campaign, the cost of the programme is expected to be around $30 million???????????????????, the sources said.

The Indian Air Force requires 126 MMRCAs. With India getting into an agreement with France to get 36 Rafale fighter jets in flyaway condition, there was a lack of clarity on how the rest of the gap will be filled.

the sources said that now these remaining jets will be made in India, in what will be a major step in domestic manufacturing of such aircraft.

According to the sources, the air force does not have enough squadrons in the event of a joint war with Pakistan and China.

"An RFP is expected to be drafted soon for making 90 MMRCAs in India. A global tender will be floated. The private sector will also have an active participation," said an official from the defence ministry.

As many foreign bidders were in the race when India set out to buy 126 MMRCAs, for which Dassault Aviation, the makers of Rafale, was finally chosen, the sources said all original bidders will be invited.

The list of fighters that were in competition for the MMRCA bid included Russia's MIG-35 (RAC MiG), Swedish Gripen, Dassault, American Lockheed Martin and Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet and Eurofighter Typhoon made by a consortium of British, German, Spanish and Italian firms
The sources said that out of the 90 aircraft, 54 will be single-seaters and the remaining 36 tandem-seaters.

There will be an option of acquiring 45 additional fighters as a follow-up order.

The Indian Air Force is expected to be down to 32 squadrons by the end of this year, 576 fighter jets short of the 750-strong fighter jet fleet required as per vision documents to face simultaneous two-front wars with Pakistan and China.

At least three squadrons of the vintage Soviet origin MiG-21 and MiG-27 single engine aircraft are scheduled to be phased out.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Why are they playing with IAF?

They are buying many types of aircrafts and making it difficult to maintain them.

At the same time killing domestic projects, the middle men who benefit from foreign defense deals are also playing their part in crippling Indian Armed forces, they are successful in the past decades.
Domestic programs and JVs' and many tenders to buy a fighter jets .... seems not a good idea.

If France refuses for Tot they should also scrap the 36 Rafale jets tender and go for other aircrafts.

rohit.gr77

What are they upto? Anyways, if anybody from the previous competitors agrees for a this Make in India RFP, then the Rafale procurement should be scrapped and the same company should be selected as a replacement for Rafale.
Going by the recent Indo-US bonhomie, I'm having doubt that the plane selected might be the F-16IN.

kaustav2001

Country flag
Possibly, they may be scouting for partners/ technology contributors for Tejas MK 2.

The enlightened

So this time which will be selected, any guesses? I don't think it is going to be MiG-35 going by current relations with Russia.
Even if the news is correct, Rafale still appears the strongest MMRCA out there (except F-35, but it won't be combat-ready for any trial for quite some time).

rohit.gr77

Even if the news is correct, Rafale still appears the strongest MMRCA out there (except F-35, but it won't be combat-ready for any trial for quite some time).
But Dassault seems very much reluctant on ToT.
Let's wait and watch how the proceedings go or if this news is just a bluff.

rohit.gr77

How does it seem reluctant?

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Seems to me they are splitting the MMRCA into two ... one for Rafales and one for Typhoons.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I am getting worried about these leaks, MoD had kept a tight lid over leaks over the past year. I hope this is planned leak........

If this leak is correct, wouldn't it mean that Tejas MkII is not going into full service before 2025? And also this could be a negotiating tactic for Rafale discussions which are currently going on.....

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I am getting worried about these leaks, MoD had kept a tight lid over leaks over the past year. I hope this is planned leak........

If this leak is correct, wouldn't it mean that Tejas MkII is not going into full service before 2025? And also this could be a negotiating tactic for Rafale discussions which are currently going on.....
Tejas is for mass production, MMRCA is to maintain superiority over China and Pakistan.

Shadow

Country flag
But if they again go for different aircraft,won't it create logistical problems?

raja696

good news but why is this made in India concept applied to the concept applied as in the article. Its procurement from foreign companies. What we have to manufacture is heart ie made in Indian aircraft Engines. We been proficient in air frames its time for production of aircraft and ship engines for navy en air force. Being able to produce engines for naval war machines will make proficient i mean simplicity in R&D. Later it can be applied for producing air craft engines (all that R&D) can be minimized for aircrafts for starters. I know both are different but for beginning we need setup. Any thing wrong correct me.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Confusing, totally confusing. The MMRCA for 126 units has been withdrawn. It has been replaced with 36 fighters to be bought on hurry basis and now a MMRCA for 90 fighters and all these developments in last three months.

Somebody in MOD or IAF have lost their mind.

lachit borphookon

Its a good development ,our private sector can gain experience if they team up wid foreign companies to manufacture the mmrca which in the long run will be beneficial for our domestic projects.

rohit b3

Country flag
Parrikar made it clear that Tejas will replace the Mig21/27. Rafale is just for strategic interest.
Also logically thinking this doesn even make sense.
BS report, if you ask me.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles