Maj Gen in charge of Siachen supplies faces bribery probe

ejazr

Ambassador
Maj Gen in charge of Siachen supplies faces bribery probe - Indian Express

A Major General who was in charge of all army supplies in the Northern Command has come under the scanner after he was reportedly caught red-handed while accepting a bribe from a local contractor. A court of inquiry has been ordered against the officer — Maj Gen V K Sharma, the Major General Army Supply Corps (MG ASC) of the Northern Command.

Sources said the Northern Command received several complaints against the officer, mostly from contractors who accused him of demanding favours in return for awarding contracts. Given the serious nature of the complaints and the senior rank of the officer, an operation was carried out by Army authorities to probe the matter.

According to reports, the officer was caught red-handed in a possible "sting operation" involving a contractor. "A court of inquiry has been ordered into allegations of financial impropriety against Maj Gen Sharma," confirmed a senior Army HQ officer, denying that the officer has been placed under detention.

Maj Gen Sharma was in charge of supplies for the vital Northern Command, which has the largest number of soldiers deployed for counter insurgency and border duties. The command procures crores worth of rations and supplies for soldiers posted at the Siachen glacier, Kargil, the Kashmir valley and along the Line of Control.

The quality of food supplied to soldiers in the Northern Command had also come under the scanner in 2010 after an audit report revealed that troops were getting food that is unfit for human consumption and at times is more than two years beyond the expiry date.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The headlines is misleading and wrong. Maj Gen Supply (MG ASC) is not only responsible for Siachin but entire Northern Command which is very vast. Siachin has been added to sensationalise the issue and demoralise troops posted in sensitive locations. There is no mention of the fact that the ration were only meant for Siachin. Why not Poonch ? There is too much negativity in assessment and reportage.

It is good that Army's internal vigilance mechanism is working. That should have been highlighted and appreciated. Which other deptt remains vigilant and catches its General level officers by sting operations like this.

So who deserves the kudos? Army or this presswala !

Ghuptos IE as it is sworn to defame Army Generals.

Last edited:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I remember the when the civilians working in one of COD use to hate the guts of Colonel who refused to take bribe and at the same time enforce his ethos on staff working under him. Now a days it has become a norm in my motherland for us to learn of one or the other bribery scandal breaking out or individual exposed. It breaks my heart when these high ranking officers shame the Defense Forces of my JanamBhhumi in which my father served for over forty five years and my class mates are serving at the present time.

I hope and pray that sooner than later MOD will investigate all the suspected individual and clean up the forces from top to bottom.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I remember the when the civilians working in one of COD use to hate the guts of Colonel who refused to take bribe and at the same time enforce his ethos on staff working under him. Now a days it has become a norm in my motherland for us to learn of one or the other bribery scandal breaking out or individual exposed. It breaks my heart when these high ranking officers shame the Defense Forces of my JanamBhhumi in which my father served for over forty five years and my class mates are serving at the present time.

I hope and pray that sooner than later MOD will investigate all the suspected individual and clean up the forces from top to bottom.

Your sentiments should be appreciated.
But tell me any other deptt where interanl viggilance is working.
Police has maximum corruption. How many cases has CBI registred against, IAS and IPS, Customs and Audit officers>
When you have scams of thousands of cores these jurnos forget it after a few days.
Tell me how many civilians were prosecuted in Tahlka?

That, however, is no justification for corruption in the Armed Forces. The point intended to be conveyed is that, if corruption is spotted there is delivery of justice in the Armed Forces. Others have taken it for granted.

No other govt deptt can boast about it.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Your sentiments should be appreciated.
But tell me any other deptt where interanl viggilance is working.
Police has maximum corruption. How many cases has CBI registred against, IAS and IPS, Customs and Audit officers>
When you have scams of thousands of cores these jurnos forget it after a few days.
Tell me how many civilians were prosecuted in Tahlka?

That, however, is no justification for corruption in the Armed Forces. The point intended to be conveyed is that, if corruption is spotted there is delivery of justice in the Armed Forces. Others have taken it for granted.

No other govt deptt can boast about it.
This is what we have been talking in this forum. When and which generation of civilian sector employees along with politicians of every colour will put honesty above all and change the culture of never ending waste of tax payers money. Although I have been living overseas physically but my heart and mind is always in my Bharatvarsh.

May be it is time that a separate subject should be introduced in all of our institutions of learning regarding the ill effects of bribery on our society. How to counter it and erase it slowly but steadily.

As you have pointed out the lack of prosecution of the charged officials, Who is responsible for these results? I think it is time for a new NGO to be formed whose only objective should be to keep tab on Indian Judiciary and their performance in the bribery cases at all levels. It is about time to start using the RTI and hound them till they buckle under the pressure of shame. Some times we have to go to extremes to get the justice and so be it. Talking on the forum has not gotten us any result and only action in the field will turn the tide in our favour.

The problem always cited is that our courts are overworked and tons of backlog of cases. The solution should be found and in my opinion it is more than workload, I think it has to do with the fear a ruling against a culprit creates in the minds of Judges. For this reason we should introduce a jury trial and that to the jurors should be with a legal background and not exposed to the press for personal safety of theirs and loved ones. In this day and age video can be used as a tool as well.

I remember the time when Indians use to look up to the our Armed forces with pride. I can speak for myself only that they still have and will always have a special place in my heart and mind. Few bad apples in any institution does not make all of them to be corrupt but it is getting bigger by the day and new batch of politicians will have to take drastic steps to stem the growth of self sabotaging culture among our three wings of Defense forces.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles