Mahinda Rajapaksa Is A Sinhalese Extremist – Lee Kuan Yew

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Woah. I think this discussion is gone down to a personal attack of Sinhalese. You seems to think Sinhalese are freaks. I do not think we should continue this. You are in no state of mind for a healthy discussion.
It is no attack on Sri Lankan.

It is just an attempt to indicate the falsehood being purveyed as facts by the Sri Lankans!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
FYI. First it was the Colonial rulers of Portuguese and Dutch who have introduced the modern schooling system to Sri Lanka. That was also first to Jaffna where the people accepted Portuguese as their overloads quicker than Sinhalese and then to the coastal belt where Catholicism and Christianity were the entry requirements. These policies effectively cut any opportunities for the Buddhists and Hindus living in Sri Lanka.
Noting unusual or surprising.

The colonial powers devised their own ways to ensure their minority rule over a majority native.

Macaulay laid the foundation for the consolidation of the British grip in India with English education, customs, tradition being taken to the be flavour of ascendancy and acceptability in society and govt.

The missionaries did the rest.

Old hat!

T
hen came the British and they implemented new schooling system. This was mainly based around Colombo, Kandy, Galle and Jaffna targeting the elite of the every ethnicity This schooling system benefited only to the elite. It was then said that the elite schools were creating the leaders while other schools creating servants. These policies effectively barred any progress in the majority Sinhalese society who lived in the interior of the country and having no money.
It is the same old story wherever the British went.

Moreover the Jaffna Tamils who were having a long time benefit of a proper educational system thanks to Dutch and Portuguese were immensely helped the British when they seek people for doing jobs like Clerks. This began the long era of Tamil dominance in Sri Lankan civil service. These same people claimed they were being discriminated in 1956 Sinhala only act.
It would be a grapes are sour line of thinking to condemn those who had the foresight to know how to better their lives.

Tamils grabbed the opportunity, while the others sulked.

If you notice Christians in all former colonial countries have done well. It is because they adjusted to the new environment and grabbed the opportunity..

It is like the comparison between SWRD and Kadirgamar = two Christians!

SWRD realised that he had no hope in hell to become the Head of SL if he wore his religion on his sleeve. He converted and he took the Crown!

Kasirgamar, wore his religion on his sleeve and did not realise how the wind blows, he lost out!

In fact, someone from SL had written that SWRD's family were Buddhist and then converted.

That shows how clever and opportunistic family they are and it is in their genes.

When it suited them to make the best of the system, they converted to Christianity. And when it suited SWRD, he renounced Christianity and became a Buddhist.

I would find that not very moral, but then they did what they thought was right and good for their family and the family fortunes!

In fact, it did. SWRD was the Head, Srimavo likewise became the Head and then their daughter Chandrika followed suit!

Some would call that real clever and astute!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Then why didn't Indian leaders supported the British when the were busy fighting in the World war 2 if they gave justice and fair play to India masses? Why Indian oppose the British who gave them justice and fair play in 1857?
Heard of the Swara is my birthright movement?

Heard of Netaji Subash Bose and the INA?

Indian leaders did not support the British. Heard of the Quit India Movement.

Heard of Gandhi and the Quit India Movement?

Heard of the Purna Swaraj Movement?

Heard of the Non Cooperation Movement?

The Salt March and the Civil Disobedience Movement?

I could go on.

Therefore, India waned its own Govt for its people - Independence.

That is different from Justice and Fair Play.

Justice and Fair Play cannot substitute for being your own Masters!

Officially 565 princely states in India at the time of independence.

Most of them were with the British.

Most of the soldiers came from their so called Kingdoms.

You say you are a Christian.

Your plaintively cry reminds me of this that I sang in the Church and Sunday School!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kito

Semantics.

The fact that there is parochial Buddhism and Chapter II, the Buddhists will always vote Buddhists.

Therefore, any intelligent and educated person, who is not a Buddhist, has no hope in hell.

That is why SWRD converted since his political ambition was a greater love than his religion!

And that is why inspite of showing anti Tamil views, as a Tamil and Christian, following the victory of the United Peoples' Freedom Alliance, and his being a candidate for the PM's post, President Kumaratunga appointed Mahindra Rajpakse as the PM. Obviously, it is because of Buddhist chauvinism.

I would think it is a travesty of truth, if you state that Lakshman Kadrrgamar , a Christian and a Tamil and thus a minority, did not have vision. He sure was more suitable because he was not merely a politicians, but a person with immense exposure to international affairs having been a diplomat, and was appointed to many international agencies to include those of the UN.

This puts paid to the issue of anyone can become the Head of Sri Lanka.

SWRD understood it and forsook his religion, but Kadirgamar thought his religion was important and so he lost out!

As Shakespeare had said - O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!
Sinhala Buddhists do not have special favor of voting for "Buddhists Only", majority of Sri Lanka is Sinhalese, mainstream parties are also full with Sinhalese so Sinhalese getting elected. It's just like that. But it does not mean other ethnic groups do not have share in mainstream parties. They do elect from those mainstream parties.

Mahinda Rajapaksha has long political career than Lakshman Kadiragamar. Rajapaksha was the youngest MP who got elected to SL parliament in 1970. If people ask for Mahinda Rajapaksha we have to give him.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
However I should mention that there are no freaks in Sri Lankan political leadership for the past 60 or so years because Sri Lankan people choose wisely. If you have a personal issue with any leader you should point out the facts other wise calling them freaks. {/quote]

Fair comment.

Though I would not agree that the selection is fair because of Buddhist parochial attitude.

The case of very intelligent people like SWRD, who had to convert and Kadirgamar, who did not convert and lost out!

Then we will do what ever we like with it.
Technically, that would be right.

It is your country and you are totally correct to do what you feels is right for you.

However, when it spill over and upsets our national security, I am sure you will realise, we cannot bleed because we are fond of you.

We can only suggest that the issue is solved in such a way that it does not spill over to India and imbalances us!

I think that is a fair request.

What is Indian politicians specially in Tamilnadu know about Tamils living in Sri Lanka. You believe in a utopian scenario where Sinhalese kill Tamils and Tamils live in utter disarray like the 1947 communal riots in India. First you should understand is Sri Lankan people is not like Indian people. We do not extricate in open spaces neither kill other ethncities just because there were some crisis. The best example is the 1998 bombing of the Dalada Maligawa in Kandy.

As you can see the damage was extensive but no Sinhalese went rampage for revenge. We are so civilized people. There fore we do not need tuition from India for communal harmony.

So India should let Sri Lanka do what ever Sri Lanka wants because Sri Lanka takes decision for her own good. If those decision sprout bad consequences for India then the both nations can sort it out through dialog.
Hard to swallow that given visuals of the carnage and mayhem that has been splashed all over the world.

I am talking about the Tamil dalits whose right were secured by the 1957 social securities act. Why high cast Tamils opposed it and created a anti Sinhala sentiment for the Sinhala only act and the "Sri" letter for vehicle number plates after that?
Tamil dalits of Sri Lanka?

Could you educate me on that.

In India, it is the Dalit parties that have continually without a break ruled Tamilnadu!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
[B]Wow! How erudite! I seriously needed a dictionary to understand what you said. English Language Entry exams for Indian army must be of such super quality! Between were you using a dictionary or your grandson's literature text book? [/B]
Anyway you don't need to use such heavy words, use normal English that is normally used in forums. Because what matters is giving your feed back or opinion in a manner that is constructive to the argument that is going on. Hanging on to such rarely used lexicon means one is just feeling uneasy or intimidated by the conversation and has NO point to say or gets no point of what is being discussed.
I can already imagine an old man trembling his fingers and torturing his key pad.
I am amused that you set the standards for me based on your own intellectual, physical, moral and linguistic level.

Let me clear the cobwebs that seem to have overgrown your human faculties through disuse.

Language:

I am not aware of what is the "English" that is mandated for forums. If it is to be of the Kindergarten level, then I regret I have gone way beyond that.

I concede I have studied in a premier institution that taught English in such a manner that one does not require a dictionary or even a thesaurus. Not that I am not familiar with it. However, it is unfair of you to hold it against me because you were deprived of an education that equipped you to understand very ordinary English and it is the English that I use. I am amused that you find it beyond your grasp. Does not speak highly of the education imparted in Sri Lanka, at least as far as English is concerned.

You Getting Intimated by English

I am surprised that English intimidates you.

I am bewildered that you hold your deficiency to pen a J'Accuse. Pardon me, that is French, lest you feel it is English.

My Physical and Mental Health

No, young man, I am neither an old man nor have any trembles in my fingers nor torture the key board.

I have a gym at home, take long walks and runs and I hardly look my age! Remember, age is what you want it to be and if you let your mind feel you are old, you will be old. The fact that I can interact with all age groups at their level indicates my versatility. I have no trembles, palsy or Alzheimer's My sincere sympathies in case you do..

I do not torture my keyboard since I am adept at touch typing.

Regarding your point,

Just because an issue that is not "laudatory" is being discussed anyone cannot be racist towards that country. And speaking about not 'laudatory' issues, every country has not laudatory issues. And there is no country in the world that can point to another country.
For example, india is a country that is infested with a caste system that runs still to this day, acute gender discrimination that you people are responsible for the murder of 50 million girls for the only reason of not having a p-enius, child marriages. And murderous race riots in Mumbai, Gujarat doesn't really add value to you. The destruction of Khalistani movement was extremely bloody and the handling of Nagaland, Kashmir, and the recent riots in Assam, Occasional caste riots in TN, Violence against Christians at some parts are not laudatory as well. But I don't talk about them because I believe sane Indians are capable of handling them and I will not create prejudices about india looking at them.
No, warts are there everywhere.

But one should be honest to admit it and not act smug and weasel like.

Like the Constitution allows anyone to be the Head and then Kadirgamar, a very capable man, though a Christian and a Tamil, is cast to the wind for a Buddhist Mahindra Rajapajkse as the Head of the State in a country where the Head has to take the blessing of the Buddhist monks for everything they do and of that there is enough in the Sri Lankan newspapers!

Yes, there are issues.in India.

Check the threads on this forum. No one is pulling punches or driving the issues under the carpet as you people are doing!

Got that?

Also just because one is blinded by propaganda, filled with hatred and racism and having ulterior motives wouldn't warrant a person to disregard any reasoning or explanations as dubious. It just brings out the immature racist idiot in a person.

So Dadaji read what I type with a sane mind and counter argue in a logical manner without pasting loads of articles from propaganda sites.
I am neither idiotic nor racist.

Unlike you, who finds plebeian English as intimidation indicating the low level of education and intelligence, please check the contents of my post. Compared to your diatribes and low down swipes, my post come out as profoundly educated.

If I am a Dadaji, let me with great regret come down to your level so that you find it easier to comprehend, am I speaking to a person who is still awaiting his time to jump out of the womb?

Well we're not making a family discussion about Bandaranaike here and the point you needed to make was that he was a Christian who converted to Buddhism. You can mention that (actually you did mention it) simply and writing his whole name is not necessary. Are you trying to say that the non SLn members here are so tube light that repetition is necessary?

Between I have nothing against you writing his whole name, I just thought it is making a boring post longer. Also mentioning the whole name indicates you are being uneasy with what you say (which of course gives me immense pleasure).
No one is talking about the Bandarnayke as a family. I am aware that you have to weasel out since what I wrote does embarrass you and puts paid to the duplicity and fraud of your Constitution that anyone can become the Head of State and yet Chapter II floating around as a contrarian input, even if only suggestive!

Non SL posters are not tube-lights. It is just that not everyone finds it of interest to expand one's interest to insignificant specks on horizon!

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
First, there is nothing called 'coconut dweller' Were you trying to say coconut plucker? You should know these things with RAYling in your side.

I don't know who are you and when I had any discussion with you. May be you have changed your name. Its typical of you all Sinhalas, you people change your names, colours and regional dads very fast.

What you said previously does not matter me. A man should be able to defencd his point if he has facts with him. Only the ones with weak arguments would run away like that cos they rely on propaganda.
I have better things to do in life than wasting my time on a Racist who doesn't treat their own citizens equally but lie on international forum to justify their oppression. T

LTTE is disgusting, any man with little bit of sanity cannot feel the other way..

I do not need to learn from you how I should draft my words against LTTE.

And abt crossing lines, did the SLG know you are blunt on crossing lines on chinese dictation. I see SLG and SLA must have been confident after knowing some indian in an indianforum is going to be blunt on our chinese relationship.
You are a rouge nation and its ass is been pulled in and out by United nation organization. I do not need to further explain when you crossed the line. Shall I take your propaganda on your face value and give it a second thought ? Hell no. SL's new Dad China has supported SL unconditionally in UNO and it tells a lot about how dictations are pouring in from ChIna to Lanka.

And dont talk about things I didnt say....where did I say Tamils are not natives? And that they should be treated like 2nd class? ..just becasue you cant debate the points I raised dont put words in my mouth and accuse me of something I didnt say.
# 98 SL is the country of SLns. There are nt natives among SLns. Dont talk abt things u have no idea about. And this discussion wont help the discussion here, but instead distract it.
The facts are against you. Your nation has denied UNO the access to investigate your war crime. First you do it then have a face to challenge us till then shut the hell up.

People are not fools, we know from where you all are coming, I simply made a point knowingly that Tamils are as natives as Sinhalas are but as expected it offended you so much that you leaked this emotional baloney that no one is native but all are Sri Lankans. Neither this baloney is addressing the civil strive which is still on going subtly nor its is factually correct per historic context. Treating them being native is the first step to resolve this strive but you guys play so smart that now you will deny everyone 'the nativity' because you know it doesn't suit your agenda since your in a majority and it can go against your greater plans.

Not only Hindu temples almost all the buildings were damaged during war time. Becasue LTTE terrorist hide inside these buildings and fire at the army. Tell me a single war zone where buildings were not damaged in any part of the world? Your logic is substandard for a person in a defence forum.
Only a rabid hater of Hindus can fart such nonsense.
Distruction of temples has been happening even before all out war. Rabid dogs from your army has use unprovoked areal bombardment on Hindu temples. There is no such presidents all over this planet.
Sri Lankan Army continues to vandalize Tamil temples - TruthDiveTruthDive

There are hundred of links on google, search can show you the mirror what your army is doing against Hindu places of worship. You call it collateral damage I call it war against Hinduism and your nation will pay the price for it.

I havent beein to any chinese forums, but I am in PDF. I can safely say that they dont run away like some high rankers do here and definitely do not deactivate an account just because they cant win over an argument.
I stand correct that you are sniffing on many forums and we all know standards of debate Sri Lankans display at that terrorist forum. You are no one to tell me when and how I should debate with a jobless troll. Like I said we have gone through few drills with Sri Lankans on the same issue and I can safely say non of you are intellectually fit to even have a discourse with us. Your level is now establish that you can only suck up to Pakistani testis in their terrorist forum. There is another poster from Sri Lanka Heinz something who was caught pants down revealing he is a Chinese.

And Mr. Hit and run I remember you and I had a debate and u didnt reply me. That is why asked you. Between if you have nothing to say, it is ok I won't ask you again.
This is called putting hands in hornet's nest. I have subscribed this thread and I will follow you post and answer if they it will be worth my time even when I am busy with planing moving to a different city in two weeks because of promotion I have got.

Between give my regards to uncle Ray
He is not your uncle. He is your dad. He has ran over live minefields to charge Pakistani infantry formations and has won us a glorious war. He has commanded a unit which can chew your terrorist army in 72 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You mean to say Indians were bad at geography and good in mythology?
Indians are better than Sri Lankans and that is for sure.

India's mythology is India's.

Your mythology and religion is borrowed - from India!

You may claim that Buddha was born in Nepal. But then he did not become the Buddha in Nepal. He was just born there. It was in India and its environment that he achieved his vision and he became the Buddha.

Got that, Steve!

There isn't anything to realize that SL is an island, every Tom and Dick good in geography knows SL is an island. It is a fact not a something to be realized. And of course SL is a small country and we don't really influence on the world except in the rare instances of British using SL in WW1 to command war and western powers using SL to control india. At least it is important enough that another country has been grateful enough to open a thread on our country in its defence forum where its erudite members are giving hair splitting arguments.

And I fail to understand how this is relevant to the topic we are discussing.

How SL stands in the world does not have a say on this topic. It just shows the one who is making that statement is insecure and suffers from inferiority complex

I love your delusion.

But then you are a deluded people!

I love this statement of yours - of British using SL in WW1 to command war and western powers using SL to control india.

Pray how?

49 Sri Lankans died in the WW1.
Ceylon World War 1 Dead

One million Indian troops would serve overseas, of whom 62,000 died and another 67,000 were wounded. In total 74,187 Indian soldiers died during the war.

Indian Army during World War I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May I request you to cut out the gas and get on with the order?

No spins and day dreams, please.

Just the facts will do!

Budhistst will always have a clout over SL as long as they are numerical superior. Clout is not something necessarily bad it just means you have influence. It is the same as Hindu's having a clout in India, Catholics having a clout in US or Ireland, Christians having a clout in UK. What is bad is doing unreasonable things with the clout you have.

Unlike in india, people in SL don't take mythology seriously. Though we have few nut cases like that this is a very stupid view held by a very few number of Sinhalese. Actually I don't know whether this is mentioned even in Mahavamsa. What matters is this is not a widely held belief and in no way affected the topic we are discussing.

Thank you for your Buddhism lesson Dadaji.

And can you please tell me, a single country which has been practicing according to the ideals of the religions they are professing to practice. I have seen numerous amounts of child sex cases by Hindu monks in India and would I be correct in coming to the conclusion that there must be something intrinsically wrong in the Hinduism in India that makes them vulgar? Like I said once SL is a third world country (like yours) and corruption is a problem. So we have corrupted individuals in almost all the fields and religion is not an exception. There are monks into politics (which is rejected by many ppl) and some are racist, some are Marxist, some are business mined, some don't know what they are doing. So it is a mix bag.
Of course, Buddhists will rule SL and I have no doubts about that.

Soft racism will ensure the same. The Constitution Chapter 2 sneakily ensures so!

Hindus have no clout in India and that is why Modi is appealing to the Muslims. Do read what is happening in India, No Muslim backing, No election win!

Catholics have no clout in the US. It is the Protestants. Check the demography, Get educated! Don't give fanny adams to the educated and knowledgeable. We are not so ill informed as you are!

Child sex in India? Monks?

Making a mistake with SL where child prostitution is an industry that enhances your economy?

Dadaji?

Talking from the womb and not yet born and pretending to be Sir Oracle?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
We don't have enough evidence (according to archeologists) to say what religion was practiced in Pre Buddhist Sri Lanka. As many historians suggest there is high probability that pre Buddhist SLns have been pagan and we do still have some pagan elements in religious culture. No wonder that religion in SL could have been influenced by India at that time. But we can safely say that pre Buddhist SLns were not Hindu.
The oldest hindu structure to be found in SL date back to 12 AD in Polonnaruwa Kingdom. Anuradhapura was the first known kingdom and it did NOT have any Hindu structure. The main method that Hinduism had entered SL was by Chola invasions. Anuradhapura kingdom shows NO Hindu elements while the Hindu influence had increased on SL culture with time, reaching its peak in Kandy kingdom. And there was no mention of what was the religion of King Dewanampiyathissa is. Before you get more into this muddy water let me tell you South India and its people were Buddhists and Jains before they became Hindus. So don't come with the stupid argument that SL has to be Hindu as it was in close proximity to Hindu South India.
Of course Buddhism died in India and many Buddhist monks were persecuted in India. And south indian Buddhists might have come to SL seeking refuge. It may have influenced Chola invasions to SL. And of course Buddhist monks in SL came up with a strategy to protect their religion and I see nothing wrong in that. They defended their right to religion and their land against invasions.
Actually you are getting more into muddy water. Buddhism was under attack in India much before Dhatusena became a king in SL. So there is no chance that Dhatusena was witnessing an attack against Buddhism in India. And monks didn't create a Sinhala race. It was naturally formed by different people from different places integrating and evolving. This was facilitated by absorbing the immigrants from india and it was a natural process like every ethnicity is formed. The motive (as understood by historians) of writing Mahavamsa was to record the deeds of the kings. Like these days these monks has had their favorite kings and they have written them to admire and tell the good deeds of their favorite kings. In Mahavamsa, the favorite king was Dutugemunu where a disproportionate part of it describes his heroics. Also Mahavamsa has no single author, though it was initiated by Ven.Mahanama many monks have contributed towards it. The site you copied this stuff hasn't mentioned that.
You cannot simply create a race like that. It is a race that had its initial immigration from india, mixed with people living in SL and evolving into Sinhala people. You can learn the evolvement of Sinhala language and there are many evidences island wide.
Also remember none of us are historians and I really do not see a point in debating over SL history with a Indian military man in an indian defence forum. Were you trying to say Sinhala is a race created by a set of monks to safeguard Buddhism and therefore it does not have a standing to talk about its heritage in SL? If that was your idea, sirji I am showing my third finger at you.

Also Maitreya Buddha doesn't come after 5000 years. Please choose a different propaganda site for your daily dose of racism.
You have no evidence yet, because the world does not find you worth consideration as a civilisation that has contributed and hence no interest.

You are lazy and so you are not spending time, effort and money to find out your origins beyond your mythological scriptures!

To be frank, I wonder if anyone is concerned if you were Hindus or from Mars. It is you and it is good enough that you are aware of your lineage.

If that was your idea, sirji I am showing my third finger at you.
Of course you will show your third finger to anyone.

It does show your class, upbringing, grooming and your heritage!

It is only those who are short on fact and high in fiction who are so confused and frustrated that they resort to vulgarity as their escape hatch!

I Pity you.

You are beneath contempt!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Banda

As the Punjabis say Banda ban ja

I have answered you point by point.

But trawling through insults and falsehood that you regurgitate bovine like does exasperate!

How can I fool the foolish?
A fool is delusional that all are foolish and he can fool all!

That's how!

What do you know of Buddhists in SL? Militant? My a**.
I am not acquainted with your arse and I am not keen either.

You maybe a person who projects his arse as the Crown Jewels for all to observe and appreciate and even handle and use, but then somehow, my psyche revolts to appreciate, observe or handle or use someone's arse!

Please quit soliciting!

However, it does not take much of an effort to understand militant Buddhism in SL.

Apart from the clout of the Buddhists and the right wind Buddhist party, the manner in which all go seeking the Blessing of the Buddhist heads is adequate (check your newspapers) and the manner in which Buddhist monks killed SWRD is an example of their clout and influence!

If the Buddhist monks did not have a clout, why should SWRD meet a monk or the security not check this bloke of a monk before he is allowed in?

I asked you why you specifically mentioned his religion. This is what you said "Kadirgamar, a tamil christian", as if he is less of a Tamil because of his religion. Don't try to change goal posts men. And he was not denied post because of his ethnicity but because MR wanted to become the next PM.
No ne is no less a Tamil or a Christian.

It is just that a better qualified man is put down for a person who does not have the former's experience and intellect, just because he is a Buddhist!

Nothing in SL is yours and SL doesn't consider you as ours. So you needn't get insulted by our wounds. I believe you Indians have enough to take care of. SL as a society was not racist. Unlike in India, caste system has gone down, gender discrimination has being tackled effectively, inter racial and inter religious marriages are becoming more and more common.
Also apart from SL you've a lot to be ashamed of Mr. Ray, even in this thread
How can such an insignificant speck in the Indian Ocean be India's.

Just to make you feel good and bigger we gave you Kachativu gratis!

We are always there to make you feel that you are bigger than a mere dot in the ocean!

Regarding caste system has gone down, gender discrimination has being tackled effectively, inter racial and inter religious marriages are becoming more and more common. - give us another spin and a yarn!

Between you don't have to be manipulative or Machiavellian in order to make SL head a Buddhist, you just have to vote for a Buddhist man. It is that simple. Idiot!
I am none of what you claim - manipulative or Machiavellian or an idiot.

Idiot is you and that too a vulgar idiot!

That only a Buddhist can be the Head, I have proved in all the posts that you all have not been able to refute beyond flinging filth as your birthright.

Once again, SWRD became the Head and not Kadirgamar. Both were Christians.

SWRD renounced his religion and became a Buddhist, Kadirgamar didn't.

Odd, what?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeinzGud

Country flag
Noting unusual or surprising.

The colonial powers devised their own ways to ensure their minority rule over a majority native.

Macaulay laid the foundation for the consolidation of the British grip in India with English education, customs, tradition being taken to the be flavour of ascendancy and acceptability in society and govt.

The missionaries did the rest.

Old hat!

T

It is the same old story wherever the British went.
Then you should understand why Sinhalese lacked the educational opportunities.

It would be a grapes are sour line of thinking to condemn those who had the foresight to know how to better their lives.

Tamils grabbed the opportunity, while the others sulked.
Tamils didn't grab but it was thrust upon them by the colonial masters. If the "others" to grab the opportunity where were the educational institutes available? Will Tamils grab the opportunity if the educational institutes were in down south?

If you notice Christians in all former colonial countries have done well. It is because they adjusted to the new environment and grabbed the opportunity..
Why didn't Christians done well in Islamic countries like Egypt and the North African cost? lol...... Christian adjustment.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Then you should understand why Sinhalese lacked the educational opportunities.
I understand that.

However, why have a Bhuniputra type of legislation In Sri Lanka to deny the others equal opportunity?

In Malaysia,. the Malay are laid back people and did not exhibit industriousness or ambition and make the most of the colonial system.

The Indians were the plantation labour and labour they remained.

The Chinese came as entrepreneurs and they were thrifty, industrious and full of enterprise and led the pack after the colonial power.

When Malaya got Independence, it was a Malay majority state. The Chinese were too well entrenched and controlled the commerce and economy. They could not be trundled out.

So, in a clever and underhand way.

Tunku Abdul Rahman devised the idea wherein a "special position" of the Malays was provided in the Federal Constitution of Malaysia. But, the constitution does not use the term "bumiputra"; deviously defines as only "Malay" and "indigenous peoples". In other words, it leaves out the others so that they cannot topple the gravy trains for the Malay.

Tamils didn't grab but it was thrust upon them by the colonial masters. If the "others" to grab the opportunity where were the educational institutes available? Will Tamils grab the opportunity if the educational institutes were in down south?
Fine.

So they benefited.

Why were the Buddhists left out of the pie?

Why didn't Christians done well in Islamic countries like Egypt and the North African cost? lol...... Christian adjustment.

And in Islamic countries, they are not known to have tolerance towards other religions. It is an universal truth.

However, Buddhists are known to he the example of tolerance and Peace.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I understand that.

However, why have a Bhuniputra type of legislation In Sri Lanka to deny the others equal opportunity?
Explain a little.

In Malaysia,. the Malay are laid back people and did not exhibit industriousness or ambition and make the most of the colonial system.

The Indians were the plantation labour and labour they remained.

The Chinese came as entrepreneurs and they were thrifty, industrious and full of enterprise and led the pack after the colonial power.

When Malaya got Independence, it was a Malay majority state. The Chinese were too well entrenched and controlled the commerce and economy. They could not be trundled out.

So, in a clever and underhand way.

Tunku Abdul Rahman devised the idea wherein a "special position" of the Malays was provided in the Federal Constitution of Malaysia. But, the constitution does not use the term "bumiputra"; deviously defines as only "Malay" and "indigenous peoples". In other words, it leaves out the others so that they cannot topple the gravy trains for the Malay.
Well Sri Lanka is not Malaysia and Sinhalese are not Malays. Do not compare both. It's pointless.

Fine.

So they benefited.

Why were the Buddhists left out of the pie?
Mainly because of the lack of education. To succeed in the colonial system, the locals needed to learn English and British customs. However there were not enough English based schools located in the inner country where Sinhalese lived. So Sinhalese have to get used to the Sinhalese based schools which produced no worth while candidates to the colonial service.

But for Tamils based in Jaffna Colombo and Kandy there were abundant English schools to attend gaining upper hand over the majority Sinhalese. Moreover British tend to enroll Tamils, Malays and Burgers over Sinhalese for the government service to avoid any uprisings. There fore Tamils thrived while Sinhalese suffered.

However the most important issue is not Tamils getting better educated but in the same time Tamils were getting arrogant and paranoid. They were beginning to think that they will rule the island like a arpathaid state like South Africa after the British withdrawal. But this dream shattered when British introduced the franchise in 1931. Tamils vehemently opposed to it knowing it will end their arpathaid dream. This is the begging of the modern Sinhalese Tamil divide.

However, Buddhists are known to he the example of tolerance and Peace.
Not every time. Even Buddha has said to "show the capacity of oneself at least once."

HeinzGud

Country flag
Yes.

Prehistoric

Vedda.

When history was written!
Do you believe Sinhalese do not have any connection with the Balanagoda man? The one with sophisticated civil life unlike the Veddas.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Do you believe Sinhalese do not have any connection with the Balanagoda man? The one with sophisticated civil life unlike the Veddas.
Of course they have. Prehistoric!

HeinzGud

Country flag
Then that's what I'm saying. Sinhalese is not solely Indian people. Sinhalese are mix of Indian and local people. Hence Sinhalese are not immigrants like Tamils. But there are Tamil, Malayali, Gujarati etc. immigrants in Sinhalese society. They are Sinhalese now.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Do I smell a pre-historic discussion? Are we then discussing the deluged kingdom of Manu and Kumari Kandam and Lemuria?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles