Mahinda Rajapaksa Is A Sinhalese Extremist – Lee Kuan Yew

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sinhala only are you sure? What about the Tamils, the Muslims?
The Sinhala Only Act (formally the Official Language Act No. 33 of 1956) was an act passed in the Parliament of Ceylon in 1956. The act replaced English as the official language of Ceylon with Sinhala. The act failed to give official recognition to Tamil, which had not received official recognition before.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@HeinzGud

Do you think that any non Buddhist has a ghost of a chance to be the Head of SL?

Please understand my sister in law is a Sri Lankan (not a Tamil, but what you will call Sri Lankan and not even a Burgher) though does not live in SL and I have discussed the issue with her. She happens to be an Anglican.

There is no hope for anyone but a Buddhist to flourish in SL.

Think of the poor chap SWRD.

He renounced his religion to be the Head!

Anyway good riddance for the Anglican people since such unscrupulous people are not suitable in the House of Jesus!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Discrimination of Tamils in Sri Lanka

Geneva, 2000

The Society for Threatened Peoples is concerned about the violation of the Social, Economic and Cultural Rights of the Tamils in Sri Lanka. These violations can be traced to the long-standing policies of successive governments which have eventually led to the outbreak of armed conflict. Whoever is concerned about ending the war in Sri Lanka that has so far claimed 55000 dead, 800.000 internally displaced persons and hundreds of thousands of expatriates among the Tamils, must address these causes and cannot confine himself to lamenting the manifest violations of rights, including torture, disappearances, censorship, impunity and the quasi permanent emergency.

Sri Lanka is home to a plurality of peoples: Sinhalese, Tamils, Moors, Malays, and Burghers who speak three different mother tongues (Sinhala, Tamil, English) and practise four different religions (Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity). However, far from recognizing this cultural and ethnic heterogeneity in their nation-building and development policies, successive governments have in practice and in constitutional law favoured the majority community denying equality to the other communities.

Exploiting the power of the ballot, the majority community of roughly 70 % Sinhala Buddhists has identified itself with the nation, appropriated the state and used it to its own advantage. Ever since independence in 1948, government policies have systematically violated the social, economic and cultural rights of Tamils: through the disenfranchisement of the Indian Tamils, through state sponsored colonization of the North-East by Sinhalese settlers, frequently accompanied by forceful eviction of Tamils, through a discriminatory language, education and recruitment policy which pursued but one aim: the Sinhalization of the state. Today, more than 90 % of civil servants, and 99 % of the security forces are Sinhalese. The politics of 'positive discrimination' of the Sinhalese appears presently to be transformed into one of long-term exclusion of the Tamils because of proven incapacity. For what reasoning other than to eliminate the formerly superior Tamil competitiveness once and for all, while prolonging, even cementing Sinhala domination well into the next generation, can be adduced to explain the surplus of 14 000 Sinhala as against a shortage of 10 000 Tamil medium teachers, the lack of the most elementary school equipment (over 120 000 desks and chairs in the Vanni alone); a teacher pupil ratio of 70 to 1 in Tamil areas as against 22 to 1 for the rest of the country? The results of this outright violation of rights manifest themselves: in the competitive examinations for the Sri Lanka Accountant and the Administrative Service at most two Tamils were selected each year since the early 1990s!

Successive constitutions have abandoned the earlier minimum provisions for the protection of minorites. The present government's constitutional proposals have been hailed even by members of this Commission as a model for solving ethnic conflicts. But, far from accomodating the minority peoples it reaffirms the unitary state, confirms by flag and religion the majority as the sole representative of the nation; instead of multilingualism, Tamil is reduced to local vernacular; the decentralization of power, finally, leaves nothing more than the authority of a local council to the 'provinces'; and the latter's delimitation in the North and East, which the Tamils claim as their homeland, aims at limiting the territorial basis of the Tamils as far as possible. Neither devolution nor peace-offer, it is an invitation at constitutionally legitimized submission!

The Tamils have first sought to redress the long-standing systemic violation of social, economic and cultural rights by peaceful means. However, promises made by primeministers were broken, increasingly bloodier pogroms, occasionally with offical connivance, were carried out against the Tamils. Thus, having exhausted all peaceful means and fearing for their survival as a people, arms were taken up in the aftermath of the pogrom of 1983.

The former Secretary General of the UN, Mr.Boutros Boutros Ghali prognosticated a doubling of UN members within the next decades, a development which can only come about through a fragmentation of existing states. The international community has confined the right to self-determination to peoples struggling against 'salt water colonialism'. However, by sanctifying the sovereignty and territorial integrity of existing states, it has effectively given carte blanche to repressive governments vis-à-vis minority peoples. It is this internal colonialism, not an ethnic war which is but its result, which poses the greatest threat to the unity and territorial integrity of states. The demand for the respect of Human Rights in general, of minority rights in particular is no remedy against state sponsored discrimination since these are essentially individual, not collective rights. As Sri Lanka exemplifies, it is this violation of social, economic and cultural rights, this institutionalized denial of a collective identity that leads the oppressed to eventually resort to arms in their defense, if necessary by way of external self-determination.

In conclusion, the Society for Threatened Peoples asks:

How long will the UN Commission for Human Rights continue to listen to the reports of its own Special Rapporteurs and of NGOs concerning massive human rights violations in Sri Lanka as it has been doing for over a dozen years without addressing its primary causes?

Would it not be in the interest of prevention of further such violations if the Commission would concern itself with the provisions for decentralisation and group rights in the proposed new constitution?

If this Commission is to evolve human rights law, contribute to prevent internal war, and reduce the threat of fragmentation of states, it will have to reconsider the content and applicability of the right to self-determination. To focus on state-sponsored violation of social, economic and cultural rights as potential underlying causes of conflict, adopt the viewpoint of the discriminated minorities would advance such endeavour.

Discrimination of Tamils in Sri Lanka

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
The Sinhala Only Act (formally the Official Language Act No. 33 of 1956) was an act passed in the Parliament of Ceylon in 1956. The act replaced English as the official language of Ceylon with Sinhala. The act failed to give official recognition to Tamil, which had not received official recognition before.
Why should Sinhalese give official recognition to Tamil. British never did so. And Tamils were much happy with that.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mahinda Rajapaksa Is A Sinhalese Extremist' – Lee Kuan Yew

You can decide!

HeinzGud

Country flag
@HeinzGud
Do you think that any non Buddhist has a ghost of a chance to be the Head of SL?
Yes I do. Lakshman Kadirgarmar had the recognition of the masses but unfortunately he was murdered.

Please understand my sister in law is a Sri Lankan (not a Tamil, but what you will call Sri Lankan and not even a Burgher) though does not live in SL and I have discussed the issue with her. She happens to be an Anglican.
Well I'm a Sinhala Catholic. I'm a minority too.

There is no hope for anyone but a Buddhist to flourish in SL.
It is hard to garner the Buddhist votes for a non Buddhist. I do agree. Just like in India. But I do not agree the statement that "There is no hope for anyone but a Buddhist to flourish in SL.". Lakshman Kadirgarmar was the ultimate example.

Think of the poor chap SWRD.

He renounced his religion to be the Head!
Before his farther converting to Christianity they were Buddhists and landlords of the low country. They convert to Christianity for the riches and opportunities and then convert back to the Buddhism for the exact same reason.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would like to interrupt this debate Mr. Ray and I hope that you would reply to this too. :)

Well this is a natural phenomenon because Sri Lanka is never proclaimed to be a secular country. There fore the majority voters choice is the most important above anything.

What has SL proclaimed?

A Buddhist country?

If so, what is your other chap stating that anyone can become the Head?

So you are a Buddhist country with a sneaky way to act very politically correct and yet ensure no one tipples the apple cart?

Do not beat around the bush Mr. Ray let's come to the core of the issue. Prove that in Sri Lanka, Tamils have developed a separate independent nation parallel with the Sinhalese for 1000 of years.
It is difficult for arrogant racists to understand that all should be given equal opportunity. I appreciate this difficult amongst the Buddhist Sri Lankans who post out here.

Even if the Tamils of SL want Independent Tamil Eelam, Indian does not support that cause.

All India expects is equal opportunity and implementation of the 13th Amendment in all its sincerity. This is not being done..

That is the core issue to all the hassle that the Buddhist majority in their glorious day dream that Sri Lanka was willed to them by God's hand don't realise!

So what is wrong with this statement? Do you say Sri Lanka do not belong to Sinhalese? This is really a stupid thing to say.

If Sri Lanka do not belong to Sinhalese then who can claim the civilization of Anuradhapura to the Kandy? Who can claim all the monuments and the irrigation systems of the North-Central Sri Lanka? Do you believe that those can be shared with the minorities?
That is a daft argument.

That way are you suggesting that Indian civilisation is solely that of the Vedic people?

That others in India are non people and their contribution is null?

Just the type of fool Buddhist arrogance that divides people that civilization of Anuradhapura to the Kandy. Thereafter, did everything progressive come to a standstill?

If so do minorities has openly claim to embrace their past history? But the answer is sadly no. The minorities has not embraced it but creating histories to suite the theories of their superiority in Sri Lanka.

Minorities have also contributed to Sri Lanka.

If the Sri Lankan history is not merely Buddhist centric and instead encompasses all its glories to include the contribution of all, then none will complain.

Do tell this Mr. Ray why the Tamils rose up to the Sinhala-Only act of 1956 right after the passing of social disabilities act in 1957? Is this a coincident?
Read the Act !

The Buddhists of SL are mischievously dicey!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes I do. Lakshman Kadirgarmar had the recognition of the masses but unfortunately he was murdered.
How convenient. for SL Buddhists.

Before he was murdered, he was denied by the Buddhists prodding and a Buddhist was made the Bossman.

Read the details of the post I have appended on the issue.

Well I'm a Sinhala Catholic. I'm a minority too.
Good for you.

Must be a Burgher!

You have no hope in hell.

May Jesus go with you!

It is hard to garner the Buddhist votes for a non Buddhist. I do agree. Just like in India. But I do not agree the statement that "There is no hope for anyone but a Buddhist to flourish in SL.". Lakshman Kadirgarmar was the ultimate example.
In India, religion is not so important.

It is the party that is the flavour on which ticket you stand.

I am in a Hindu majority area, but the councillor is a Muslim!

My sister in law is an Anglican Sri Lankan. Even to run their tea estates, they had issues.

Before his farther converting to Christianity they were Buddhists and landlords of the low country. They convert to Christianity for the riches and opportunities and then convert back to the Buddhism for the exact same reason.
so, they are but opportunists?

Go with the direction of the wind?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Heinz Gud,

The Christians of Sri Lanka were educated and emancipated and so they were in positions of authority, not because of their religion, but because of their education and intelligence.

But then the majority dumb Buddhists, assisted by SWRD, made merit a handicap.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why should Sinhalese give official recognition to Tamil. British never did so. And Tamils were much happy with that.
More than language, people want justice and fair play.

The British did that.

Buddhist of SL on independence feel that God willed that Island to them!

They do not realise that they are not the original inhabitants of the island in any case.

They are usurpers as others are!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
All I say, as I say on this forum, in many threads:

LET US SINK OUR DIFFERENCES, BEFORE THE DIFFERENCES SINK US!

HeinzGud

Country flag
What has SL proclaimed?

A Buddhist country?
CHAPTER II - BUDDHISM

Buddhism.

9. The Republic of Sri Lanka shall give to Buddhism the foremost place and accordingly it shall be the duty of the State to protect and foster the Buddha Sasana, while assuring to all religions the rights granted by Articles 10 and 14(1)(e).
The Constitution of Sri Lanka: Chapter II - Buddhism

If so, what is your other chap stating that anyone can become the Head?
Yes I was wrong any one can become the president of SL.

The Constitution of Sri Lanka: Chapter VII - The Executive - The President of the Republic

It is difficult for arrogant racists to understand that all should be given equal opportunity. I appreciate this difficult amongst the Buddhist Sri Lankans who post out here.
There is equal opportunities to every one in Sri Lanka. Any one can contest for the presidential election and win.

All India expects is equal opportunity and implementation of the 13th Amendment in all its sincerity. This is not being done..
SL is not a Indian state.

That is a daft argument.

That way are you suggesting that Indian civilisation is solely that of the Vedic people?
I do not know about the Vedic civilization.

That others in India are non people and their contribution is null?
No.

Just the type of fool Buddhist arrogance that divides people that civilization of Anuradhapura to the Kandy. Thereafter, did everything progressive come to a standstill?
No it is revived again.

Minorities have also contributed to Sri Lanka.
Yes indeed.

If the Sri Lankan history is not merely Buddhist centric and instead encompasses all its glories to include the contribution of all, then none will complain.
But it is not. Sri Lankan history is Buddhist centric and all the glories of the minorities are encompassed in it.

Read the Act before you start spouting verbiage!
I have read it have you? Have you read the 1957 Social disabilities act?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Constitution of Sri Lanka: Chapter II - Buddhism

Yes I was wrong any one can become the president of SL.

The Constitution of Sri Lanka: Chapter VII - The Executive - The President of the Republic

There is equal opportunities to every one in Sri Lanka. Any one can contest for the presidential election and win.
ou seem to have missed out my stating that the Buddhists of Sri Lankan are sneaky little tykes.

Of course,any freak can also become the Boss of Sri Lankan. The SL Constitution guarantees that.

But who votes in such a freak?

The majority Buddhists.

Sinhalese 73.8%,
Sri Lanka Demographics Profile 2013

The Moors 7.2%, Indian Tamil 4.6%, Sri Lankan Tamil 3.9%, other 0.5%, unspecified 10% have any chance?.

SL is not a Indian state.
Who said it was?

who said that such a state would be an asset if not a liability to India?

I do not know about the Vedic civilization.
Good for you.

It is too intellectual an exercise!

No.

No it is revived again.

Yes indeed.

But it is not. Sri Lankan history is Buddhist centric and all the glories of the minorities are encompassed in it.

I have read it have you? Have you read the 1957 Social disabilities act?
I have rad the Act and it is a shame.

So, is this Buddhists alone are the sole inheritors of SL is another falsehood and a shame!

As if the others were burdens who contributed fanny adams!

Only illiterates, racists and idiots contributed to that stupidity!

Sri Lanks is a fine Nation, with a great future as I see it.

The only handicap is that it is lead by insecure people of the the majority religion, who are not confident of the intrinsic worth of their religion which is famed to harmonise people, and instead are fearful of their own shadow!

Hence discrimination of others is their credo!

Having sorted out the Tamils, they are now after the Muslims who they call Moors.

Next with be the Christians!
Pseudo Buddhists!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sri Lanka nationalist violence spreading fear among minorities: citizens group
25 Mar, 2013 07:45:49

Mar 25, 2013 (LBO) - Mob violence in Sri Lanka against Muslims and Christians and emerging attacks and humiliation of Muslim girls for their dress by Buddhist nationalists, was spreading fear among minorities, Friday Forum, a citizens group said.

"The failure of the police to act swiftly and effectively in enforcing the law has encouraged individuals and groups of people to take the law into their own hands," the Friday Forum said.
"The environment of impunity has provided opportunities for gang and mob violence and caused a growing sense of fear and personal insecurity."

There were also reports of more organized activity which analysts say resemble German 'brownshirts' or Sturmabteilung style activity, starting up.

"Some monks have joined groups of persons who have sought to assume the role of law enforcement agencies, engaging in a dangerous trend of "policing" supposedly in the interest of the majority Sinhala Buddhist community," the Friday Forum said.

Among the early acts of the German brown shirts was helping enforce a boycott against Jewish business (Judenboycott)

In addition to attacks against Mosques and Churches, nationalists were now targeting Muslim women, the citizens group said.

"Currently there are alarming reports of Muslim women and girls being publicly humiliated and even physically attacked on account of their attire," the Friday Forum said.

Following an attack on a mosque in Dambulla last April, violence against Muslims have increased while violence against Christians were also rising.
"The Several Christian places of worship and private homes have also been targeted," the group said.

"The burning of the Mother Mary statue in Avissawella early this year and the reported mob attacks on a Christian religious centre in Kahatagahapitiya a few days ago are two among many such incidents.

"It has also been reported that private residences in Nawala and Weeraketiya were attacked by mobs, interfering with the rights of the occupants to engage in religious activities."

The Friday Forum called for an end to violence against unarmed minorities.

"Vigilantism and mob rule must also be unequivocally condemned, and those who attempt to engage in such activities must be dealt with under the law," the group said.

"The Friday Forum urges all responsible citizens including religious leaders to actively oppose and counter acts of racial and religious hatred.

"We also call upon the government to act swiftly to prevent people taking the law into their own hands in the name of these destructive campaigns."

The group said it appreciated the actions of some politicians who are objecting to the violence.

"It is encouraging that some politicians, at both provincial and national levels, have voiced objections to racist organizations in the strongest terms," the group said.

"It has also been reported that two Ministers of the North Western Provincial Council have taken firm measures, together with the Police, to prevent these groups from carrying out campaigns of intimidation and harassment against minority communities.

"While expressing our appreciation of these individuals for their responsible leadership, the Friday Forum again calls upon the President to act immediately and decisively to effectively counter these campaigns.

"The government has a responsibility to foster communal harmony, to maintain law and order, and to ensure peace and security in the country. Moving from rhetoric to action is vital and urgent if we are to avert a tragic escalation of violence."

In 1983 Sri Lankan nationalists engaged in a Kristallnacht-style nationwide violence against the Tamil minority, which helped intensify a civil war.

Sri Lanka nationalist violence spreading fear among minorities: citizens group

Here we go!

Eradicate all who are not Buddhists!

And then act smug as to what tolerance Buddhism underlines!

Total frauds who have the audacity to act uppity out here!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@saradiel1

saradiel1 he's in his hammock an' a thousand mile away,
(Capten, art tha sleepin' there below?)
Slung atween the round shot in Trincomalee Bay,
An' dreamin' arl the time o' Colombo Ho?

(apologies to Henry Newbolt. Drake's Drum)

Kito

Sri Lankan culture and identity based on Sinhala Buddhists culture. There is no ban on others becoming president of Sri Lanka. But other leaders who are representing minority ethnic cannot become leader of SL if they don't have a vision and understanding of majority. That's the reason for that.

HeinzGud

Country flag
ou seem to have missed out my stating that the Buddhists of Sri Lankan are sneaky little tykes.

Of course,any freak can also become the Boss of Sri Lankan. The SL Constitution guarantees that.

But who votes in such a freak?

The majority Buddhists.

Sinhalese 73.8%,
Sri Lanka Demographics Profile 2013

The Moors 7.2%, Indian Tamil 4.6%, Sri Lankan Tamil 3.9%, other 0.5%, unspecified 10% have any chance?.
Woah. I think this discussion is gone down to a personal attack of Sinhalese. You seems to think Sinhalese are freaks. I do not think we should continue this. You are in no state of mind for a healthy discussion.

Who said it was?

who said that such a state would be an asset if not a liability to India?
Then why pushing the 13A. India cannot ask for nothing from Sri Lanka.

I have rad the Act and it is a shame.
Giving the dalits the opportunity to vote and attend schools is a Shame.

HeinzGud

Country flag
More than language, people want justice and fair play.

The British did that.
British gave justice and fair play. Did that happened in India too? It is a shame then Brits have go out from India like that.

Buddhist of SL on independence feel that God willed that Island to them!

They do not realise that they are not the original inhabitants of the island in any case.

They are usurpers as others are!
Sinhalese are the original inhabitants of the island it's not going to change how hard you jumped. :) kudos.

HeinzGud

Country flag
@Heinz Gud,

The Christians of Sri Lanka were educated and emancipated and so they were in positions of authority, not because of their religion, but because of their education and intelligence.

But then the majority dumb Buddhists, assisted by SWRD, made merit a handicap.
Christians of Sri Lanka were chosen for the educational institutes because of the religion. Are you going to denounce that?

You are saying Buddhists are dumb. Give reasons for them to be dumb while all the other minorities were brilliant and intelligent.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles