M777 ultra-light howitzers to Indian Army

Flame Thrower

Is it our ammo or American one.

If it is ours, then are we using outdated or low quality ammo.

How extensive is the damage?

How could this be a great news, as ATAGS and M-777 are not blocking each other sales?

captscooby81

Country flag
People were criticising the Dhanush Gun and OFB particularly saying that they couldn't make one gun properly after the last muzzle break accident ..Now the same has happened to the time tested M777 so that means the problem was not with the gun but with the Ammo ..I am sure they would have used Indian ammo for this trail firing ..

The barrel of the M777 has been damaged ..As the ammo exited in multiple pieces ..

Is it our ammo or American one.

If it is ours, then are we using outdated or low quality ammo.

How extensive is the damage?

How could this be a great news, as ATAGS and M-777 are not blocking each other sales?

NeXoft007

Country flag
I still don't know why Indian Army use this ridiculous "fire-till-breakdown" trial method.

Flame Thrower

I still don't know why Indian Army use this ridiculous "fire-till-breakdown" trial method.
The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

It is always better to know the limitations of the man and the machine to get the maximum performance during the war.

I want every weapon(except strategic) to be tested to their breaking/failure point. So that when the time is ripe we make most out of what we have.

Hari Sud

Country flag
For all who were cursing the Muzzle break on the Dhanush Guns in trail firing here is a Great news to digest ..

M777 Howitzer firing trail had accident 10 days ago..Luckily no injuries

Nature of accident : Ammo burst inside barrel

View attachment 20048
It most likely is an ammo problem. But the enquiry will figure it out.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
"fire-till-breakdown" trial method.
If this method has been used then this news seems misleading. There is no such barrel that won't break if one is determined to break it for trial purpose.

I hope more information comes out and the method (if used) is elaborated.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If I had to guess it has something to do with limited amounts of guns having to do the work of many. Using Kargil as an example, few guns keeping up WWII fire rates. India expects every barrel to be durable like Bofors proved to be.

hit&run

Mod
BTW Is there any reference available about this method used in trial ?

Thanks in Advance.

captscooby81

Country flag
No this accident was caused by faulty ammo nothing to do with fire till breakdown ..some are saying the breakdown happened this time when they fired the 5th shell ..So its more on the faulty ammo ..

BTW Is there any reference available about this method used in trial ?

Thanks in Advance.

hit&run

Mod
No this accident was caused by faulty ammo nothing to do with fire till breakdown ..some are saying the breakdown happened this time when they fired the 5th shell ..So its more on the faulty ammo ..
Thanks, But I am actually requesting reference about this method. I presume the Arty Barrel life is hastened to test the max numbers that can be fired before replacement.

If I may add another point as I have read this assertion before about faulty ammo.

I once watched a documentary where a country will deliberately make faulty AK-47 rounds in a random pattern and then injected into armoury of the target country. The random pattern will make the fighting force less confident about their ammunition and this will hit their morale while fighting.
I hope this not the case with us as far as arty rounds are concerned but given this excuse is brought up again and again it looks worth pondering (Another conspiracy theory by me, this is why we are here ..eh... ).

EXPERT

Thanks, But I am actually requesting reference about this method. I presume the Arty Barrel life is hastened to test the max numbers that can be fired before replacement.

If I may add another point as I have read this assertion before about faulty ammo.

I once watched a documentary where a country will deliberately make faulty AK-47 rounds in a random pattern and then injected into armoury of the target country. The random pattern will make the fighting force less confident about their ammunition and this will hit their morale while fighting.
I hope this not the case with us as far as arty rounds are concerned but given this excuse is brought up again and again it looks worth pondering (Another conspiracy theory by me, this is why we are here ..eh... ).
Do you remember where you read that?
Any links?

indiatester

Country flag

WolfPack86

Country flag
Army to resume M777 ULH trials

The trials were suspended last September after barrel of a gun burst during firing. A source said the team had received four guns for the trials. “Firing will resume this month and continue in August. Local ammunition will be used and tentatively 100-150 rounds will be fired,” the official said.

An Army team was in the U.S. in June to take stock of the investigation. A preliminary investigation after the incident had found faulty ammunition supplied by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) to be the cause of the accident.

“The M777 gun delivery programme is proceeding to plan. Major upcoming milestones include hand-over of the first ULHs to the Indian Army and the mobilisation of the Assembly, Integration and Test facility at Mahindra,” a BAE Systems spokesperson said.

Of the 145 guns, 25 will be imported while the remaining 120 will be assembled in the country in partnership with Mahindra group. Deliveries are slated to commence in March 2019.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TejasMrca/photos/?ref=page_internal

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles