M1 Abrams

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This is actually one of several prototypes (test beds) for Advanced Tank Cannon (ATAC) program, a downsized version of CATTB, but it is possible that they are used for M1A3 development.

Agree, there's in fact no confirmed photo yet of the in development M1A3. Please keep the info coming... :thumb:

Damian

Agree, there's in fact no confirmed photo yet of the in development M1A3.
We will see it hopefully some day, I think that they will bring more informations in 2012-2013/14 period.

Please keep the info coming... :thumb:
Yeah, I will try.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Wheeled version cannot keep up with heavy mech units, That one reason IA go for Tungushka M1..

US don't really need one now, But in future against a equal adversary one may need..

Damian

Canceled? To be replaced by these?
AFAIK these were not even ended in prototype phase, just some concepts. But I agree, a bit pitty they never entered service, but it was a period when land forces in US were not in financial priorities in goverment eyes, air forces and navy were.

Wheeled version cannot keep up with heavy mech units, That one reason IA go for Tungushka M1..

US don't really need one now, But in future against a equal adversary one may need..
True, and I think that GCV (Ground Combat Vehicle) will end as a base for several different vehicles (IFV, specialized variants, SPH, maybe SPAAG, maybe even completely new MBT).

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
AFAIK these were not even ended in prototype phase, just some concepts.

I thought so. The drawings were too fancy for production, complete with folding six-pack missile muncher, and retractable FLIR...

Damian

I thought so. The drawings were too fancy for production, complete with folding six-pack missile muncher, and retractable FLIR...
IMHO nothing too fancy for production there, it was rather problem with priorities and financing, and doctrine. US high commanders belive that best anti air assets are air dominance fighters, not ground based vehicles... and there is some logic behind such thinking.

Damian

[video]http://www.supportabrams.com/flvs/lima.swf?width=768&height=472[/video]

Preatty interesting video about Joint Systems Manufacturing Center, that among several other vehicles is also responsible for production, repairs, rebuilds and modernisation of M1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks series.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Abram's baptism, Desert Storm
(Greatest Tank Battles)

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Anatomy of M1 Abrams Tank

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Essentially such TV shows are... silly, but sometimes video materials are preatty good, and shows many important details about vehicle design.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles