Lt.General Brar on Operation Blue Star

sob

Mod
Country flag
Lt.General Brar speaks to the Indian Express Editor in Chief for the Walk The Talk Programme for NDTV.

Lt.Gen. Brar speaks at length about the Operation Blu Star, and gives insights how it was planned and the difficulties encountered due to the lack of proper planning/intelligence. He also dwells on the Bangladesh Liberation of 1971 when he entered Bangladesh wearing lungis much before the actual war had broken out.

‘It was wrong to keep media out of Amritsar during Op Blue Star. Without them, there were rumours and a lot of mutinies’ - Indian Express

You and I only meet in odd circumstances.

We met in 1984 during the time of Operation Blue Star and now we meet here again.

And you tried very hard to fade away quietly.

I jump into my Nano car, go off to the golf course, play a game of golf and get back. But now, my movements are going to be restricted. I have to be a little more careful.

Was there a point in your life where you thought that life is back to normal, as it is in Punjab?

Never. Because whether the situation in Punjab improves or deteriorates, as far as I'm concerned, there was always a very serious threat to me. After Operation Blue Star, Bhindranwale's relatives, his followers, the Babbar Khalsa, the Khalistan Commando Force, all his soldiers who died in the temple, their relatives, they all swore revenge in front of the Granth Sahib. Who were they going to take revenge on? Mrs Gandhi (who was the Prime Minister), General A S Vaidya (the army chief), General K Sundarji (the army commander), General Dayal (Gen Sundarji's co-commander) and General Brar (I conducted the operation). Now, at this point of time, with Mrs Gandhi assassinated, General Vaidya assassinated, and General Sundarji and General Dayal having died natural deaths, I'm the only one left. I knew that once they have given a threat of this nature from a holy place, they are going to carry it out some day or the other. There have been threats all along. I have been receiving letters, phone calls and there are messages being posted on websites—'We are going to kill him. Being a Sikh himself, he dared to enter the bastion of Sikhs.'

Chandimandir, near Chandigarh, used to be the II Corps headquarters those days.

Yes. So we drove from Meerut to Delhi. I caught the morning flight from Delhi to Chandigarh. I arrived in Chandimandir and told my wife that I'll be back in the evening and we'll catch the flight (to Manila). I'm rushed to the operations room. Maps on the wall and I'm still wondering what's going on. I am told, 'You know the situation in Amritsar is very bad' and I said yes. The Brigadier General Staff gave me a briefing and it appeared to me that I am being sent off to carry out an operation. So in the middle of all those briefings I said, "I am proceeding abroad tonight. I have been sanctioned annual leave for my honeymoon." And so he looked at General Dayal and they whispered to each other and then he said, "Bulbul, your leave is off. You go another time. There's an aircraft waiting outside to take you to Amritsar. Give orders to your division to move from Meerut to Amritsar immediately. I give you 36 hours to settle down there and make your plans and I shall come there for my first briefing. The temple has to be cleared at the earliest. Time is at a premium. Khalistan could be declared any day. Bhindranwale is at the peak of his popularity. He has got the entire countryside in Punjab as his followers. He's a guy who has almost been able to be accepted as a prophet."

People may not remember, but General Ranjit Singh Dayal was Gen Sundarji's deputy, he was the lion of Haji Pir Pass. He got the Mahavir Chakra. He got Haji Pir Pass in that very difficult war.

He was a fantastic soldier and so we made our plans.

And a fellow Sikh.

Yes. I'm a Sikh. I didn't give it a second thought. If you were to carry out a task, you don't think of religion, you don't think of caste. Here is your task, how best do you carry it out? You have sworn to defend the country, to ensure the integrity of the country is not broken. And there were dangers that we may go the Bangladesh way. As a Sikh going into a shrine, it's not an easy thing to do. At the same time, you feel that it's something you have to do. And the main thing is that you pray and hope that the operation wouldn't start, that they would surrender, they would see sense.

sob

Mod
Country flag
From the above interview

So do you have a message now for your fellow soldiers?

My message is, look, in this country, with the type of militancy that crops up every now and then, with our neighbour trying to fuel insurgency in the country, whether it's in the North East or in Kashmir or in any other part of this country, you may be called upon to carry out similar operations against your own people. Whether you're an Assamese or a Christian or a Sikh or a Hindu or a Parsi or a Muslim or anyone, just put your religion, caste, creed, everything aside. You're wearing the olive green uniform. You have sworn and taken the oath that you will fight for your nation and you will defend your nation and you will carry out the task given to you in the best traditions of a soldier. It's a call of duty and you will get ahead for that call of duty.

Message to fellow Sikhs?

My message to fellow Sikhs is, too much blood has flown. Now we need to heal our wounds. Don't revive those wounds. Try and realise that there has to be unity between the Sikhs and the Hindus and everyone else. There is no point in the younger generation, who have not seen that period, now being reminded of it. It's just like adding fuel to the fire. All that's happening is, some of these pro-Khalistani groups operating abroad and in Punjab are propagating their views and indoctrinating the youth to the ideology which leads to the ensuing type of violence and mayhem, as happened in the early 80s.

And a message to the people who attacked you in London?

My message is, what are you going to gain by killing a 78-year-old man? If you have to do it, do it one-to-one. There's no point in four guys going for one person. And then you run away after that. It's an act of cowardice. I'll just stay out there and fight it out till the end.

sob

Mod
Country flag
One very interesting point that came out from the interview that Lt.General Brar has a very late marriage and was on the verge of flying to Manila for his Honey Moon when he was recalled to lead the Operation Blue Star.

Tronic

sob, you missed out on the real highlights which stood out from this interview different than his previous interviews. He has finally started to regress on the conduct of Operation Bluestar, and has started to admit that he should've conducted the Operation differently. Previously, he had almost arrogantly stood behind his own actions during Bluestar.

mayfair

sob, you missed out on the real highlights which stood out from this interview different than his previous interviews. He has finally started to regress on the conduct of Operation Bluestar, and has started to admit that he should've conducted the Operation differently. Previously, he had almost arrogantly stood behind his own actions during Bluestar.
I think everyone now realises that the operation could and should have been conducted differently.

I would like to believe that the lessons learnt then were taken into account when the Hazratbal mosque and later the Charar-e-Sharif shrine were occupied by terrorists a decade later. Of course it didn't turn out well for the latter.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Tronic, in this interview he has two main points

1. there was no real intelligence available as the civilian administration had become defunct after the murder of the DSP, in the whereabouts of the Golden Temple and

2. The media should not have been packed of from the area. It would have reported on the excess of the army and also quashed the rumor mills.
The header of the news report says the same It was wrong to keep media out of Amritsar during Op Blue Star. Without them, there were rumours and a lot of mutinies'

On the blackout of the media he also comments

I don't know what the idea really was because this was something that my superiors thought of. But I agree with you that the media must remain there. They must see everything. And I think that after that we have learnt a lesson.
So, do you now agree that throwing the media out and putting an information blackout in Punjab was wrong?.

It was completely wrong.

Because what happens in those situations is, if there is no credible source of information, people believe all rumours, and the worst rumours become the truest.

Well, a lot of mutinies which took place, they took place in far-flung areas. And who were these guys who mutinied? Those who had heard the rumours that the Golden Temple had been destroyed....

...and all young Sikhs are being massacred, all Sikh women are being kidnapped.

That's right. A rumour is a terrible thing and if the media had been there, they would have quickly projected exactly what was happening.

And they would have brought some bad news as well. Bad news travels out anyway.

Of course.
On the lack of intelligence

I won't say we underestimated them but the information given to us indicated that there were not so many people and that they didn't have the type of weapons that they should. Intelligence was lacking. And you may say underestimate, but they fought well. They fought like lions. It's only when Bhindranwale died that there was a mass exodus out. People were rushing out and General Sundarji said to me, "Bulbul, what is happening?" I said, "Sir, they are all rushing out." So he says, "There can be only two things in this. Either he has escaped or he's dead and therefore the leader has gone. And without his inspiration, they are going to give up the fight." And of course, I got the news that he is dead and we got his body. That evening, I got a call from the Information and Broadcasting Minister in Dehi, H K L Bhagat, who says to me, "General, we have news that Bhindranwale escaped that night."

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Tronic, in this interview he has two main points

1. there was no real intelligence available as the civilian administration had become defunct after the murder of the DSP, in the whereabouts of the Golden Temple and
They could always flush out people by stopping water/food etc. They could rely on inside info, esp from Bhindranwale's sworn enemies Babbar Khalsa.

That Op was a show of might and it backfired imo. And due regard wasn't paid to Gen Shabeg Singh's craftiness (for lack of a better word).

2. The media should not have been packed of from the area. It would have reported on the excess of the army and also quashed the rumor mills. The header of the news report says the same It was wrong to keep media out of Amritsar during Op Blue Star. Without them, there were rumours and a lot of mutinies'
That was one of the reasons why Indira Gandhi's bodyguards decided to assassinate her. They were shocked to see the damage to the Akal Takht when they visited the Golden Temple.

sob

Mod
Country flag
They could always flush out people by stopping water/food etc. They could rely on inside info, esp from Bhindranwale's sworn enemies Babbar Khalsa.

That Op was a show of might and it backfired imo. And due regard wasn't paid to Gen Shabeg Singh's craftiness (for lack of a better word).

That was one of the reasons why Indira Gandhi's bodyguards decided to assassinate her. They were shocked to see the damage to the Akal Takht when they visited the Golden Temple.
During Mr.Rajiv Gandhi's time there was another operation to flush the Golden Temple. This was done in full public view and with all the lessons learnt from the Operation Blue Star. Ordinary people were shocked at the way the terrorists had defiled the Holy Temple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Thunder

cloud_9

Country flag
Why the first week of June??? Didn't they knew June 5th was going to be a important day for Sikh's ?

Attacking Golden Temple was akin to saying up your's to Sikhs...something which was done in past but somehow they forgot whoever had attacked Golden Temple in the past was assassinated.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@sob

Op Black Thunder is always used to compare and contrast Op Blue Star.

@cloud_9

I think this defilement thingy runs both ways; was it not an insult to the Sikh community when folks were amassing weapons inside the complex and dead bodies turning up outside the Golden Temple ?

cloud_9

Country flag
@sob

Op Black Thunder is always used to compare and contrast Op Blue Star.

@cloud_9

I think this defilement thingy runs both ways; was it not an insult to the Sikh community when folks were amassing weapons inside the complex and dead bodies turning up outside the Golden Temple ?
I mean I have tried being politically correct but somehow this has never worked for me.......

Firstly who was the one who propped Bhindrawala ??? Who let them in??? Didn't they knew he was stocking stuff in the temple ???? Indira wanted to end the Akali struggle with a bang (somethin like teaching a lesson) and the shame of getting bitten by your own dog would have been pretty embarrassing for the great leader who broke Pakistan into two but that bang ended with a hole in her head :pound:

I'm not a Bhindrawala's fan because he was responsible for killing innocent Punjabi Hindus and that is the biggest insult to my religion.....why did they let him live so long after all the murders he committed :)meh: he was tryin to portray him as Guru Gobind Singh ji with that arrow by his side....all the time,what a faker)

But how are they going to justify the death of 1000 people who had nothin to do with...Indira props up a guy for her political reasons...the dude goes berserk...Punjabi's and Sikhs end up paying the price for Indira's game's.

WTF! is wrong with this Brar guy? I mean the way he's bragging about his so called bravery doesn't really help much in forgetting those horrible things.
General Shabeg Singh had told Bhindranwale, "I know who that guy is. He is General Brar. We fought together in the '71 war. He is a Jat Sikh. He is not going to let us have an easy battle. We have a tough time ahead of us."
Woooohhhhhh! I'm a Jatt Sikh and I make the bravometer go crazy......b!tches :lol:

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I mean I have tried being politically correct but somehow this has never worked for me.......

Firstly who was the one who propped Bhindrawala ??? Who let them in??? Didn't they knew he was stocking stuff in the temple ???? Indira wanted to end the Akali struggle with a bang (somethin like teaching a lesson) and the shame of getting bitten by your own dog would have been pretty embarrassing for the great leader who broke Pakistan into two but that bang ended with a hole in her head :pound:

I'm not a Bhindrawala's fan because he was responsible for killing innocent Punjabi Hindus and that is the biggest insult to my religion.....why did they let him live so long after all the murders he committed :)meh: he was tryin to portray him as Guru Gobind Singh ji with that arrow by his side....all the time,what a faker)

But how are they going to justify the death of 1000 people who had nothin to do with...Indira props up a guy for her political reasons...the dude goes berserk...Punjabi's and Sikhs end up paying the price for Indira's game's.
You haven't answered the question that I asked. Was it not an insult to the Sikhs when Bhindranwale was defiling Golden Temple ?

A lot of people justify Indira Gandhi's assassination, but in the same vein why do people lionize Bhindranwale ? both were the same..

cloud_9

Country flag
You haven't answered the question that I asked. Was it not an insult to the Sikhs when Bhindranwale was defiling Golden Temple ?

A lot of people justify Indira Gandhi's assassination, but in the same vein why do people lionize Bhindranwale ? both were the same..
Seriously have you read my post :shocked:

No a Murderer sitting in the the holiest of my shrine is a shame (the same as all the Badals)

I'm not a Bhindrawala's fan because he was responsible for killing innocent Punjabi Hindus and that is the biggest insult to my religion.....why did they let him live so long after all the murders he committed
Now do you have a answer for this?
Why the first week of June??? Didn't they knew June 5th was going to be a important day for Sikh's ?

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Bhindrawala was at verge of declaring Khalistan and was being assisted by a retired IA General (Shabag Singh ?).
Apart from the religion bs, this operation was fully in context with what a sovereign country would do to protect it's sovereignty and i rather condemn the civilian casualties. This operation should be seen from the context of we as a country defending our home state from TERRORIST's fully equipped with Machine Guns taken hostage a monument of significant religious importance nor like Indian Army attacking a Sikh Shrine.

cloud_9

Country flag
Bhindrawala was at verge of declaring Khalistan and was being assisted by a retired IA General (Shabag Singh ?).
And the date was somewhere around the first week of June.......not the last week of May or the second week of June..... how precise :hail: Genius!

What was the government doing in Jan,Feb,March,April,May :shocked: or was the government trying to be humorous...Bhindrwala says on TV "We declare (the army shoots him) and then an advertisement pops up "Amul The Taste of India" :pound:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Bhindranwale never explicitly demanded Khalistan, and yes he was assisted by the genius Shabeg Singh.

Even if Bhindranwale did demand Khalistan, why allow him access to arms, and why allow him to get away with impunity for so long ?
Why not use his enemies, why not flush him out ?

Apart from the religion bs, this operation was fully in context with what a sovereign country would do to protect it's sovereignty and i rather condemn the civilian casualties.
You don't make sense. You fully support the operation and condemn the effects of it ?
And contrast this operation with the one sob mentioned. Operation BS's effects will be felt for the foreseeable future.

This operation should be seen from the context of we as a country defending our home state from TERRORIST's fully equipped with Machine Guns taken hostage a monument of significant religious importance nor like Indian Army attacking a Sikh Shrine.
:facepalm:
Without the support of the Congress, they wouldn't have access to weapons nor ability to takeover a shrine nor the ability to murder people openly.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Seriously have you read my post :shocked:

No a Murderer sitting in the the holiest of my shrine is a shame (the same as all the Badals)

Now do you have a answer for this?
I actually agree with most of your arguments. However, what I am questioning rhetorically why demonize Indira and lionize Bhindranwale ?

cloud_9

Country flag
I actually agree with most of your arguments. However, what I am questioning rhetorically why demonize Indira and lionize Bhindranwale ?
Neither have I demonized Indira nor have I lionized Bhindrawla but I definitely dislike both of them.

I'm out of here !

Global Defence

New threads

Articles