Lorries, Trucks and Prime Movers

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
xc2030_01.jpg

The XC2030 8 tonne truck was a Chinese copy of the German Mercedes-Benz 2026. China obtained a small number of the Mercedes-Benz 2026 truck in the late 1970s, but its plan to co-produce the truck locally was delayed due to dispute over the price. As an alterative solution, the Chongqing-based 256 Factory (now Chongqing Tiema Automobile Corporation) began to reverse-engineer the truck. The resulted TM-SC2030 (later renamed Tiema XC2030) heavy duty truck was introduced in 1982.

Later China imported the ZF mechanical gearbox and KHD413 air-cooled diesel technologies from West Germany, and these were used on the Tiema XC2030 truck development. It is understood that the Chinese-made copy is less capable than the original Mercedes-Benz 2026 due to the incapability of the Chinese truck maker to copy certain technologies on the original design.

Batch production of the Tiema XC2030 truck began in 1986, with about 2,000 trucks rolling out of the assembly line every year. Most of these trucks were delivered to the PLA for artillery hauling and heavy equipment transport roles. The truck was also used as the chassis of a number of weapon systems including the WS-1 and Type 90 multiple rocket launchers.

Over its years of service, the XC2030 truck has demonstrated excellent performance and reliability, particularly in China's western regions such as Tibet highland and Gobi desert, where the road and weather conditions are extremely tough. As well as serving with the PLA, the vehicle was also exported to Pakistan, Thailand, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka.

Design

XC2030 truck being used as carrier for pontoon bridge module
The XC2030 truck has a two-door forward control cab with four seats and an observation hatch in the cab roof, mounted above the engine compartment. The rear cargo body is provided with a drop tailgate and sides, removable bows, and canvas cover. The single spare wheel is mounted vertically behind the crew cab, adjacent to a stowage space between the cab and rear cargo body. This space could be used to accommodate a repairing tools box and other loading/unloading equipment.

Compared to the first-generation indigenous heavy-duty trucks, the XC2030 has a much better general performance, with a maximum road speed of 85km/h, and an off-road loading capacity of 8-ton. The ZF5S-110/111GPA gearbox has nine forward and one reverse gears. The three axles and six wheels all operate with speed differential locking devices, which ensure that the vehicle still has drive, even when one or more wheels on one side of the vehicle are not in contact with the ground, or have lost traction.

The XC2030 truck is available in a number of configurations including 4X4, 6X6, and 8X8. In addition to the basic cargo carrier variant, the truck is also available in workshop and engineering equipment carrier forms.

bhramos

Country flag
MZKT
The most bad-ass Truck in the World!

:becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky:

I agree with BR, We should have Agni-3/4/5 even 2 on this..
We should make Licence production, This Giants are breathtaking..
:hail:

MZKT
This truck looks like this sea crab, both eyes on different sides.....

bhramos

Country flag
Trucks stuck in mud!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bhramos

Country flag
Yup, It does, But on other-side its giant crab carrying 11000km ICBM.. :)
why did Soviets all ways build huge trucks, cars, plane and fighters...

some days ago i found a video of MAZ truck stuck in mud, can you find a video for me please...

pmaitra

some days ago i found a video of MAZ truck stuck in mud, can you find a video for me please...
The vast expanse of the USSR coupled with the terrain compelled them to build huge trucks capable of carrying huge loads without having to employ too many trucks. In winter there is snow while in summer, there are a lot of marsh lands because many of their rivers flow north and in spring the upper reaches of the river melt while the estuaries are still blocked with snow and that causes flooding and creates marshlands.

Rapid exploration and industrialisation of the vast lands, including building of cities, mining complexes, dams and the construction of the railways, especially the Baikal Amur Magistral, forced them to invest in building massive trucks and prime movers. Extensive use of aviation was also used and many of the Mil-family of transport helicopters were also aimed at this objective.

I would like to point out that a majority of cars built in the USSR were actually very small, many of them in Italian style if I may add. Togliatti, a city that makes the Lada and Zhiguli, was named after an Italian and was setup with Italian collaboration. Many of their models were actually Fiat models and were meant to be the bare basic transport solution for families. GAZ, on the other hand, concentrated on larger vehicles like the Chaika and Volga. The former was not always available to the masses.

Last edited:

pmaitra

MZKT-74135 Tank transporter

MZKT-74135 Tank transporter

Drifting by a behemoth!

sandeepdg

Because The Soviets believed that the biggest, baddest and the most complex systems for all needs can only be built by them, and they were not wrong ! Look at this monster ICBM carrier and also the monstrous AN-224 and Mi-26 ! :)

pmaitra

Classic Roadtrains (1985) (1,2,3,4,5/5)

Classic Roadtrains (1985) (1,2,3,4,5/5)

These videos also show the human side of the truckers' lives, little more than the purely technical information.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles