London Olympics Opening Ceremony, Worst ever ?

Scalieback

Professional
I won't be selling mine as it's my grail watch,i will give it to my son one day .But till then it's mine to enjoy,it's losing 1second every 2 day's which is incredible . Beaver brooks had 30% nocked off the mrsp plus gave me 3 years 0% finance . I will be wearing it when i watch skyfall,later this year. Bond is wearing the omega aqua terra in skyfall which could be my next target ,the one i won't is currently just a little over £5k..
That's the reaon I sold mine, time keeping was pants and I only used it as a dress watch. the new ones out next year will apparently be much better and automatics as well

Scalieback

Professional
My apologies for referring to New Delhi games in 2010 as Asian Games in my post # 10. In fact these were Commonwealth Games.

My error does not change the fact that the London Olympic games opening ceremony was a drag.

They at London have to learn from Chinese and Indians on how to make the opening ceremonies more spectacular.
Why? Bright lights attract moths and make animals sit dazed in the road. They went for some classic British understatement imo and pulled it off with humour. Some bits were pants, but Bond, Bean and the music through the ages (Stones, Who, Kinks, Sex Pistols, Prodigy etc.) made it for me :)

The video keeps getting removed. However: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=59f_1343435189

Last edited:

fzaq

Why? Bright lights attract moths and make animals sit dazed in the road. They went for some classic British understatement imo and pulled it off with humour. Some bits were pants, but Bond, Bean and the music through the ages (Stones, Who, Kinks, Sex Pistols, Prodigy etc.) made it for me :)

The video keeps getting removed. However: LiveLeak.com - Queen Elizabeth II and James Bond - London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony
I freakin' love the athens opening and the specially the parade of nations. Dj Tiesto made it lively
trance music FTW

Scalieback

Professional
why was french first and then in english ?
Language of the Olympics:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games#CITEREFOlympic_Charter2007
French and English are the official languages of the Olympic Movement. The other language used at each Olympic Games is the language of the host country (or languages, if a country has more than one official language apart from French or English). Every proclamation (such as the announcement of each country during the parade of nations in the opening ceremony) is spoken in these three (or more) languages, or the main two depending on whether the host country is an English or French speaking country
Page 53, rule 24: http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Olympic Charter/Charter_en_2010.pdf

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
well quite true too dull too prehistoric & also reminded me of vintage olympics opening ceremony :lol:

sorry brits plz dont mind but truth is bitter to digest:D

Scalieback

Professional
well quite true too dull too prehistoric & also reminded me of vintage olympics opening ceremony :lol:

sorry brits plz dont mind but truth is bitter to digest:D
It depends what you want doesn't it? Bright lights and gew gaws for some. Others may prefer something more understated.

I'm not really sure why it's a competition anyway. Surely what matters is the taking part and the medal tally at the end? The whole Olympic thing has become too 'showboat' imo. Get back to the real thing of what it's all about. Women's beach volleyball for me :cool:

Hari Sud

Country flag
This is what others think of the London openning ceremony:

In sharp contrast to Beijing's tightly choreographed opening ceremony four years ago, it often appeared chaotic and often made little sense to non-British observers; but there was a method in the madness.

The New York Times declared it a "dizzying" production that was "weirdly British''. It described the opening ceremony as ''hilariously quirkish "¦ a wild jumble of the celebratory and the fanciful; the conventional and the eccentric; and the frankly off-the-wall''.

domain-b.com : Eccentrically lavish opening ceremony kicks of UK Olympics

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Google London Opening Ceremony sucked and you get 1,000,000 hits. :laugh:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
117,000,000 hits for bad... 20,000,000 for terrible, 6,000,000 for awful, 21,000,000 for sucks, 51,000,000 poor, 83,000,000 for worst ever. :cool:

Scalieback

Professional
117,000,000 hits for bad... 20,000,000 for terrible, 6,000,000 for awful, 21,000,000 for sucks, 51,000,000 poor, 83,000,000 for worst ever. :cool:
As I said above, that's the problem with the French, such sore (and often) losers. What was it Napoleon said?
The French complain of everything, and always
:taunt: :taunt:

Google 'French Inferiority Complex'
About 47,800,000 results (0.26 seconds)
As opposed to 'British Inferiority Complex'

About 44,000,000 results (0.23 seconds)
:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

Scalieback

Professional
Thanks, I quite like it, which I'm sure wasn't the intention of the poster :)

Nice isn't it, albeit not technically correct as many already had independence. Most of them still have the union flag on there own colours was well :cool: Nice to see all of those union flags marching around the stadium.

john70

Country flag
Some more insight why many feel it did not live upto expectations :

Huh! Why I liked CWG better

www.telegraphindia.com - 5 hours ago

New Delhi, July 28: Memories can play tricks and patriotism is an insidious sentiment. But I don't think either was at work as I watched the breathlessly paced hodge-podge over-the-top m�lange of music, dance and imagery beamed live from London last night and could not help but recall with nostalgia our very own, much maligned CWG opening ceremony that unfolded on that same television set back in October 2010.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Brits as much as the next Indian. I grew up on Enid Blyton, Agatha Christie and P.G. Wodehouse (plus the 19th century classics that makes the English the best story-tellers in the world to this date); I remain a die-hard fan of The Beatles; and was brought up to believe that the British sense of humour and self-deprecation, as much as their discipline and order were key to the making of the Empire that so informed our own struggle to become a nation.

Perhaps that's why last night's spectacle left me dizzy, bewildered and not a little bored. Too many things happened too quickly with too many people prancing about the vast arena with too little rhyme or reason. There was a bit of everything, it seemed ' from literature (Shakespeare to J.K. Rowling), movies (James Bond, Mr Bean, Mary Poppins), music (unsatisfyingly short snatches of Beatles and Stones and more recent bands), history (a pastoral isle transformed into a bleak, smoke-filled landscape with the Industrial Revolution) and politics (the wonders of the National Health Service, now under threat).

But most of it failed to jell together into a narrative for a world audience at a ceremony which, after all, is meant to have a universal appeal.

And like a P.C. Sorcar magic show that seeks to destroy the attention of the audience from the real tricks by the sheer pace and spectacle on stage, Danny Boyle's "quirky" take on British history and culture left huge gaps ' the biggest of which was no mention of the age of empire as the show jumped from the Industrial Revolution to NHS as though there had been nothing in between.

Well, okay, no one wants a history lesson at a spectacular opening ceremony but some allusion to what made Britain "great" once, even a tongue-in-cheek take on a time when the sun never set on the Empire with or without a cloud cover, would have made the story a little more real and relevant, I feel.

But let's forget what was missing and focus on what was there. And that's where the difficulty begins. There was just no time to focus as we were subjected to a relentless exuberance of music and dance ' or rather an energetic flaying of limbs in all directions. Danny Boyle is clearly influenced by Bollywood choreography, but sorry, when it comes to such tamashas, the Brits are still aeons behind their erstwhile colonies.

Cool Britannia may be trying hard to shed the stiff upper lip, but that stiffness alas has permeated to their limbs.

And it was when I saw young children jumping up and down on the NHS hospital beds and women dressed as nurses doing a really bad imitation of "ringa ringa roses" or some such "dance" that I looked back with wonder at the CWG opening ceremony.

In Delhi too, that early October evening, there were thousands of performers on our far-less-grandly designed set. But there was melody and rhythm, grace and harmony. The CWG opening ceremony began with drummers from all parts of India with seven-year-old Keshav taking the lead, and the sounds from myriad percussion instruments echoed through the nation for a long time afterwards.

The "swagatam" segment, where thousands of schoolchildren came together, was an even more mellifluous symphony. The CWG ceremony focused on dance and music too, and our arts and traditions, our clich� of unity in diversity ' which was best captured by the railway train sequence with each compartment showing some or the other "we are like that only" peculiar Indian trait. It spoke to us and it spoke to the world.

London 2012, in contrast, was like a montage of selective, sepia-tinted images strung together by a hand-held camera, set to fast-forward music, and made into a home movie, full of inside jokes unintelligible to the rest of the world, for a people who miss being Great but are trying hard to make light of it. As home movies go, it was a pretty decent production. I am just not sure the Olympics opening ceremony was the right venue to screen it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles