LIVE: 6.8 earthquake shakes Afghanistan, tremors felt in north India

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

In the national capital region the quake was big enough for Metro services to be suspended and alarm bells to go off at housing societies.
BY: EXPRESS WEB DESK | NEW DELHI |UPDATED: APRIL 10, 2016 5:17 PM
An earthquake of magnitude 6.8 struck the Hindukush region in northern Afghanistan in the afternoon on Sunday, with strong tremors being felt through most of north India.
The epicentre of the earthquake was located 39 km west-southwest of Eshkasham town in Afghanistan, almost on the border with Tajikistan. The place is about 282 km north east of Kabul, according to the US Geological Survey.
This is very near to the location of the 7.5 magnitude earthquake that had struck the region on October 26 last year. That earthquake was also felt very strongly throughout north and northwest India.
Today’s earthquake originated 210 km below the earth’s surface, a deep earthquake that is common in this area. Deep earthquakes travel very far, a reason why they are felt so strongly as far ahead as Delhi, about 1200 km away.
The quake was also felt in Srinagar and elsewhere in Jammu andKashmir besides Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
The tremors hit Kabul hard, Xinhua news agency said.
Pakistani media said the tremors were strongly felt in Lahore and other parts of Punjab province.
6.8 Earthquake : Visuals Inside Indian Express Office

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

In the national capital region the quake was big enough for Metro services to be suspended and alarm bells to go off at housing societies.
BY: EXPRESS WEB DESK | NEW DELHI |UPDATED: APRIL 10, 2016 5:17 PM

6.8 Earthquake : Visuals Inside Indian Express Office
I made a note in my book on Nov. 5, 2015 that this region will be hit again before end of March 31, 2016 with a double epicenter one located near the last one of October 26, 2015 and second epicenter in the Gilgit Baltistan area resulting in major land slides near one of the highways. Although I am off by ten days and it is not simultaneous earth quake at two location either but I stand by my intuitive visual images. The plates are still moving and the next one could hit 9.2 on Richter scale. I can only pray and hope this does not happen but have no control over mother nature.

porky_kicker

Country flag
some pakis were laughing when i told them earthquakes r a major threat to CPEC,
judging by what happened to Karakorum highway in the past with even low intensity earthquakes, i wont place my bets on any CPEC related infra development in the baltistan etc region surviving without taking major damage now and then.

pakis keeping laughing and the joke will be on your side

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
I made a note in my book on Nov. 5, 2015 that this region will be hit again before end of March 31, 2016 with a double epicenter one located near the last one of October 26, 2015 and second epicenter in the Gilgit Baltistan area resulting in major land slides near one of the highways. Although I am off by ten days and it is not simultaneous earth quake at two location either but I stand by my intuitive visual images. The plates are still moving and the next one could hit 9.2 on Richter scale. I can only pray and hope this does not happen but have no control over mother nature.
what specific regions of north india

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Yes. It is not new, if you go back and look at the history of such quakes. If you are interested in this field I would like to suggest you to watch a video dealing with deepest place on earth. It is a documentary called The most Dangerous Deepest Place On Earth.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles