Link Language for India - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Oracle, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Mahakaal

Mahakaal Regular Member

As We can see Sanskrit will face opposition from South Indians just like Hindi.

So our main goal should be Having Link language in Indo-Aryan regions.

I propose Prakrit language as Link Language because Hindi already shares Script and Vocabulary with that great language. All we have to do is Impost more and more sanskritic words in to Hindi and later replace it with Sanskrit.

2. Bhumihar

Bhumihar Jako Rakhe Saiyan Mar Sake Na Koi Senior Member

We can launch the three language schemes
    English is compulsory in every school anyway, let the state language be second language and third language be Hindi

Back in Kolkata during my school day we used to Study English up to class 12 and hindi upto class 10. In between all of these we also studied Bengali from class 6 to 8
    In this way we can preserve our state language and it won't even affect much of your academics as it is studied in lower grades.

For example a student of Tamil Nadu would have English as first Tamil as second and Hindi as third Language.
    Its a win win situation

uoftotaku and here2where like this.
  3. uoftotaku

uoftotaku Regular Member

In some states its already like that. I did my early schooling in Bombay, we did English, Marathi and Hindi as compulsory languages and had an optional 4th (I chose French). I can honestly say my subsequent life has been much enriched because of this variety.

I believe the "intent" of the 3-language proposal in the new policy was precisely this, but somehow it has all gotten messed up both in communication and the clumsy mishandling by the Minister.

Sourav Kumar, Bhumihar and Illusive like this.
  4. garg_bharat

garg_bharat Senior Member Senior Member

Three languages is too much. Teach English and give a choice between Hindi and Tamil for example. There is no need for a State to impose a language. Same for Hindi States where Hindi can be made optional.

Let English be the link language. So that all kids get equal opportunity.

Lots of average kids struggle in languages. I am a teacher so I know.

Bleh, Indx TechStyle and uoftotaku like this.
  5. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

I'm okay with the current bilingual policy of English and local regional languages as compulsory. I'm also fine with adding an additional third language as optional, however the third language must include all the 22 official languages(allowing the pupils to decide which language to opt)

6. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

I struggled with hindi and marathi as well, I would barely pass in marathi:biggrin2:, mostly because of spelling errors. The hindi that is thaught and the hindi we speak in mumbai are very different.

Haldiram, uoftotaku and garg_bharat like this.
  7. angeldude13

angeldude13 Lestat De Lioncourt Senior Member

Same. I took Hindi,English and Sanskrit. I scored 70+ in English, 50+ in Hindi and 40 in Sanskrit.
    I think regional languages are tough as compared to English.

Illusive and garg_bharat like this.
  8. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

English is widely used in our curriculum across all subjects so English gets easier while subjects like regional language has minimal application apart from communication or just study. In short you get better in a language the more you use it across your daily life.

My dad is good in speaking both hindi and marathi because in his childhood in mumbai the neighbors used to chat just in marathi. While in my case i can understand and read marathi and speak a kinda broken version of it. The reason being my circle mostly speak Hindi.

garg_bharat likes this.
  9. Bhumihar

Bhumihar Jako Rakhe Saiyan Mar Sake Na Koi Senior Member

Eh local state language is easy to implement as a third language.
    For instances u are in mahrastra u can get a lot of teachers that can teach marathi.
    But where the heck are u gonna get teachers for all those 22 languages. Its a logistical nightmare to set up such system.
    There are hundreds of govement schools in a single district u can't give teachers for all 22 languages in every single school.

hit&run likes this.
  10. garg_bharat

Not all schools can offer alternative languages. But some can. For example you can definitely find Hindi teachers in Bengal. There are many children in Bengal who want to learn Hindi rather than Bengali.

Similarly you can find Telugu and malyalam teachers in Chennai if not Hindi.

Giving option is the trend worldwide. Why you force kids in India to learn something.

11. garg_bharat

My simple formula is - make English compulsory. Teach science and maths in english to all kids. Have one more optional language out of the 22 languages in India. Consider Hindi also as a regional language and offer it as such.

If some child in Delhi wants to take Tamil in place of Hindi, let him take.

Remove this language orthodoxy and let children learn as per their preference.

Sourav Kumar and Indx TechStyle like this.
  12. Chatrapathi

Chatrapathi Regular Member

In my college days i hated English because -------

1.English was imposed by British bas**... obviously
    2.Indians as loyal slaves opted&worshiped English.
    3.If u talk in English 80% Indians thinks u are intelligent. :lol:

Anyway,later i learned it as we don't have a choice... Still i don't think english is any better than any language like assame or konkini.

If we want any one link language across India then obviously Hindi is best option (with vocab from Sanskrit&other Indian languages minus arabic $hit) and throw out English urgently.

13. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Lucky to pass from PSEB Punjab school education board. Hindi, Punjabi and English all three were compulsory till year 10. No one asked us what are our option and l Iove it that way. It was the school who decided, depending on the availability of the teachers, funding and resources they had at that time.

If I rate my proficiency in all three where Hindi ended in year 10 and Punjabi in year 12 and then continued with English for the rest of the studies I stand at 7 for Hindi 8 for Punjabi 6-7 English.

Just glancing through Tamil alphabets it looks too heavy with 210 Alphabets. I don't think Tamil will fit the bill to be a link language.

14. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Demand causes supply. If there is demand for certain language, then there will be adequate supply. In schools they don't have separate teachers for different languages.. Kannada teachers are also trained in sanskrit, English teachers also take hindi classes so on and so forth. If offering all 22 languages in not feasible, then offer a clutch of languages as third language optional, eg : Telugu, Malayalam, Tamil, Tulu, Konkani and Hindi can be offered as optional third language subjects in south India ...

Sourav Kumar likes this.
  15. Sourav Kumar

Sourav Kumar Regular Member

I find your simple formula as the best. However I think in any state, the schools ideally should have two medium of instruction by default. One will be the language of that state ie Tamil in Tamilnadu and Bengali in WB and so on. The second should be English. Kids should get a chance to opt whether to learn science and maths in English or in the language of the state ie Tamil, Hindi, Bengali etc. The 3rd language should be mandatory but it has to be selected from a set of available 3rd languages (ie 22 languages available in India) that will be supported by the school. The scool management can decide which third language they can support. The more the merrier. After all more people would get jobs!

And Yes, Hindi is a regional language as is Bengali and Tamil. I have seen plenty of Hindi speaking guys roaming around with huge chips on their shoulders and mumbling about rashtrabhasha bullshit. They should just shove that bullshit up their asses.

I don't know why BJP govt has an uncanny ability to create this sort of controversies. I believe that indeed there is a lobby within GoI (irrespective of NDA/ UPA/ Mahathugbandhan) setup that intends to impose Hindi as much as possible on all Hindus/Indians. Also the mumbling rastrabhasha type guys support this move for their petty self-interests. Ultimately everything boils down to that one word - self-interest!

16. Sourav Kumar

Sourav Kumar Regular Member

Hindi is the preferred language of choice for indulging in MC/BC type of coversations and interacting with MC/BC type of people. That MC/BC language can never be the "link" language of a great country like India. Since Shuddh Hindi anyway gets its words from Sanskrit, Sanskrit should be brought back.

Thankfully when I was young, in my school, sanskrit was taught for two years. Ideally that should be taught for minimum 4 years.

17. Chatrapathi

Chatrapathi Regular Member

Hindi is already link language in India.

am also not a Hindi speaker(Telugu) but how many people can speak or understand Sanskrit in India??

mostly 3 to 4% Vs 60% Hindi.

So,it easy to convince rest 40% non-Hindi speakers than the 96% non-Sanskrit people...even our constitution also clearly said it.

Article 351 in The Constitution Of India 1949

351. Directive for development of the Hindi language It shall be the duty of the Union to promote the spread of the Hindi language, to develop it so that it may serve as a medium of expression for all the elements of the composite culture of India and to secure its enrichment by assimilating without interfering with its genius, the forms, style and expressions used in Hindustani and in the other languages of India specified in the Eighth Schedule, and by drawing, wherever necessary or desirable, for its vocabulary, primarily on Sanskrit and secondarily on other languages.

18. Lancer

Lancer Regular Member

Some people won't like it, but theoretically speaking, the closest thing to a link language in India is Hindi. The second closest is English. Hindi is also much easier to spread to the masses (espc lower income, less educated and rural areas) compared to English.

But of course certain political parties' entire existence more or less depends on artificial issues like this. So they'll keep creating problems.

Rassil Krishnan and jadoogar like this.
  19. Indrajit

Indrajit Regular Member

You are correct that Hindi is by far the most understood language. However imposing it will unnecessarily create trouble. Best to leave it alone.

Lancer likes this.
  20. Lancer

Lancer Regular Member

I agree, and nobody is actually imposing it. I don't think there's been any change in the policy, AFAIK just like before, the 3rd language is elective - including the option of Hindi or something else.

Due to the way passions become inflamed quickly, I also believe in just letting things take their natural course, but because this thread asked the question, I chose to theoretically answer it.

Indrajit likes this.