LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Shakti Malik

Country flag
In what would break new ground, India has started work on developing an unmanned combat version of the home-grown light combat aircraft (LCA), with a task group being constituted to study how to convert the fighter for a futuristic role.
Dr. Girish Shantaram Deodhare who is Director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) has confirmed to Indian media that after Final Operational Clearance (FOC) is granted to Tejas Mark-1 by this July, ADA has been cleared by Government of India (GOI) to commence work on the development of Unmanned Tejas.

https://defenceupdate.in/tejas-ucav-indias-unmanned-fighter-jet-of-the-future-cleared/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Enquirer

In what would break new ground, India has started work on developing an unmanned combat version of the home-grown light combat aircraft (LCA), with a task group being constituted to study how to convert the fighter for a futuristic role.
Dr. Girish Shantaram Deodhare who is Director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) has confirmed to Indian media that after Final Operational Clearance (FOC) is granted to Tejas Mark-1 by this July, ADA has been cleared by Government of India (GOI) to commence work on the development of Unmanned Tejas.

https://defenceupdate.in/tejas-ucav-indias-unmanned-fighter-jet-of-the-future-cleared/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This is age old news.................................................

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
This is age old news.................................................
... and unless our is autonomous, in an actual combat situation, data link to it is going to be jammed & lost.

vishnugupt

Country flag
It been 2 year since HAL send proposal to AF about MK 1a but nothing coming out. we heard there is discussion going on about price and some say HAL working on it alone, Some say there is no progress and other expert says their nothing to worry about Jet directly enter into production because there is no need to do much .
Is there anyone who can share some credible information??

abingdonboy

Country flag
Sorry but where is SP28 ? Its just the jig.
They only enter that display info when the structure is on the jig. So SP28 is on the jig which means at least SP21-28 are all under some form of completion which is promising.

By the way anyone got a revised production schedule?

24 MK1s remaining (16 FOC+8 trainers) then MK1A production by....? MK2 is meant to be in production come 2025/6 so HAL will have only 3-4 years to make 83 MK1A.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
24 MK1s remaining (16 FOC+8 trainers) then MK1A production by....? MK2 is meant to be in production come 2025/6 so HAL will have only 3-4 years to make 83 MK1A.
They may be able to produce a squadron a year if both assemble lines are active (SP 21-28 presently in jigs).

But what's more important issue is no follow up order by IAF for Tejas FOC. Mark 1A is scheduled for series production only by 2021-22 & they're complaining about the pricing, but not ordering FOC either.
It's still better than all the Migs/Mirages we have & the lines risk sitting idle.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
They may be able to produce a squadron a year if both assemble lines are active (SP 21-28 presently in jigs).

But what's more important issue is no follow up order by IAF for Tejas FOC. Mark 1A is scheduled for series production only by 2021-22 & they're complaining about the pricing, but not ordering FOC either.
It's still better than all the Migs & Mirages we have & the lines risk sitting idle.
I don’t see the line going idle. As soon as the MK1s are complete MK1A will be produced, I can see HAL commencing production using internal funds even if the IAF hasn’t formally signed a contract by then.

However looking at people who know about these things everything is on track.

Looks like HAL are working to 8/year for 19,20,21 to deliver the outstanding 24 (16+8) then they’ll ramp up to 16-24/year (that’s the capacity they’ve installed with 2.5 lines) to deliver the 83 MK1As then once that is compete MK2 will enter production in 2025-26.

Seems like a sensible plan.

And for those that say the 8/year is too low for 19/20/21 also remember that’s 8 SPs/year but at the same time HAL has to work on prototypes for the NLCA MK1/2, MK1A and MWF (AF) and prototype production is quite a bit more draining and resource intensive than series production. Also if HAL wants to produce the SPORT prototype in the meantime this will also have to be factored in.

Only thing needed now is faith in these projects, the next 5 years will be historic for the Indian aviation sector and will lay the foundations for the next 20 years.

Lancer

Bana
Country flag
I see that @Sancho continues to peddle his half-truths as gospel all over Twitter.
That guy's a pretty big bullshitter - and arrogant to top it off; his constant back-and-forth with a user called randomradio at one or two other forums was the stuff of legend.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I see that @Sancho continues to peddle his half-truths as gospel all over Twitter.
I have a lot of respect for him but just think it’s unnecessary and rather rude to be arguing with such a senior individual with actual inside information and expertise in such a public forum.

Also, and maybe he can explain, but i don’t understand the argument? How have ADA even changed their story? They’ve not deviated away from their initial projections vis a vis the MK2/MWF.

mayfair

I have a lot of respect for him but just think it’s unnecessary and rather rude to be arguing with such a senior individual with actual inside information and expertise in such a public forum.

Also, and maybe he can explain, but i don’t understand the argument? How have ADA even changed their story? They’ve not deviated away from their initial projections vis a vis the MK2/MWF.
Sancho's entire theme has been two pronged- pushing for EF for MRCA requirement and Gripen for SE requirement. Hence his relentless, propaganda efforts directed at vilifying Rafale and Tejas. Much objectivity is sacrificed in the process.

Enquirer

... and unless our is autonomous, in an actual combat situation, data link to it is going to be jammed & lost.
There's already a lot of 'autonomy' built into Tejas - even today the pilot has set the bearing, altitude, speed etc and then take a nap....the auto-pilot will maintain the flight independently. Building more autonomy via waypoints and some 'decision trees' is not that difficult.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

New asqr doesn't mean complete deviation from original asqr ,speed,acceleration ,g,may be as it is from the older one..........

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Bhai log any update..on Tejas gun trial...and supersonic drop tank.........
I have tried a lot..to fetch details...but in vain

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles