Laser/Beam weapons

Pintu

Nonynon, Has Israel any of this kind programme running, if so, kindly share ?

Regards

Nonynon

There was some thinking about it but nothing worth mentioning other then helping the Americans a little with theirs. But I have family working in those places so I can safely tell you no.
Unless it's top secrete :smile:

Nonynon

Yea like I said there's the Israel-US corporation. About this particular thing I didn't hear much about so I'll look into it and come back to you on it.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
What is the name of the Indian space weapon? It starts like KALI or something?

Pintu

Thanks Anup and Nonyon , Nonyon , please take your time and till it gets conducive :)

Regards and Best wishes .

Country flag
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-04-17/bangalore/29427599_1_saraswat-lasers-vehicles

Need to develop lasers: DRDO head

BANGALORE: Air-based early-warning systems and laser-beam weapons will be futuristic developments in the aerospace world other than predominance of multiple kill vehicles. V K Saraswat, chief of DRDO and scientific adviser to defence minister, announced his on Sunday at the fifth air chief marshal Katre memorial lecture.

Saraswat said attention is now on development of hyper-launch vehicles and converting the unmanned aerial vehicle into unmanned combat vehicles, utilising progress made in the fields of nano and Mems technology.

"It is not only important to make progress in stealth technology, but greener aviation concepts and solar-powered aircraft with autonomous functionalities shoule also be the prime goal of designers. There are big challenges in field-design capabilities," Saraswat pointed out.

Referring to indigenisation, he called for the need to constantly monitor imports. For the progress of bigger programmes, some need to be procured from outside to keep costs low and meet timeframes. Inspite of this, indigenous research is always held in high esteem, he said.

Nonynon

So I've talked to that relative of mine again and he said that trying to use lasers to shoot down rockets is a wast of time today and that's why Israel made Iron dome instead. Then again, his now allowed to tell me everything :) I also heard there are plans to sell it to India and that Iron dome's interception cost is actually considered relatively small.

Last edited:
Country flag
Laser weapons in India

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene... At Laser Weapons For Air And Missile Defense

Indian scientists are on the path to develop an airborne missile-intercept system that employs high-powered lasers to destroy missiles during their boost phase.

The Laser Science & Technology Center (Lastec) at India's secretive Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has been building up technologies that can intercept missiles early in their flight.

The weapons will also be utilized for crucial exercises by the country's armed forces that will involve space security, cybersecurity and hypersonic technology. These futuristic technologies will be incorporated in the Ballistic Missile Defense system being pursued by India.

Last year, DRDO developed an ultra-compact, hand-held laser sensor capable of giving warning in the form of an audio beep as well as a visual indication to the user of any impending laser threat. The device can be used by infantry soldiers in the battlefield and also can be configured as a helmet-mounted system in a modified package.

Recently, India also tested a laser ballistic missile defense system. The laser weapon is capable of producing 25-kw pulses that can destroy a ballistic missile at a range of 7 km (4 mi.). One of these weapons is the air defense dazzler, which can engage enemy aircraft and helicopters at a range of 10 km.

Last year the U.S. conducted a series of tests of high-powered laser weapons on a modified Boeing 747, the ALTB (Airborne Laser Test-Bed), which directs chemical laser energy to destroy ballistic missiles in the boost phase.

"While these laser-based technologies will take time to develop and be deployed, the DRDO along with Lastec has mapped out the future course of action in these areas," a DRDO official says.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles