indiatester

Country flag
Tata self propelled artillery

Tata kestrel armoured personnel carrier

Tata Light Armoured Vehicle

Tata Mine Protect Vehicle

Tata also manufacture optics
They are already building Air Frame for Apache
They manufacture most of our Military trucks as well.
What about L&T and their contributions to the submarines?

power_monger

Country flag
Tata self propelled artillery

Tata kestrel armoured personnel carrier

Tata Light Armoured Vehicle

Tata Mine Protect Vehicle

Tata also manufacture optics
They are already building Air Frame for Apache
They manufacture most of our Military trucks as well.
I asked major weapon system.every system which you have mentioned has borrowed designs, borrowed major components .

And for God's sake please don't make a fool of yourself by talking about trucks technology and equating them to something as complex as jet engines . Even Tata engines are not designed in India. They are borrowed , reverse engineered once. I don't want to derail tata but tata automobiles are the last thing you should show to inspire confidence in end users.

power_monger

Country flag
We can talk and talk but tonbo optics still relies on sofradair for crucial tech. None of these products are in great demand in abroad either.I repeat , apart from L&T there are no big private companies which can boost about its r&d and technology.

republic_roi97

Country flag
We can talk and talk but tonbo optics still relies on sofradair for crucial tech. None of these products are in great demand in abroad either.I repeat , apart from L&T there are no big private companies which can boost about its r&d and technology.
Then go ahead and cry in the corner. Private industry didn't grew because an environment for their growth is required, even in the absence of it, they did pretty well for a developing nation, limited on resources and infrastructure.

It has been proven time and again that private industries are better at performance, SpaceX vs NASA is the biggest example of that. Private players have that dedication that government employees with job security lack. Their scientists and engineers know that they will get fired for failing to perform and there's a constant competitive environment present.

Our private defence industry is relatively very new and requires more push by the government.

power_monger

Country flag
Then go ahead and cry in the corner. Private industry didn't grew because an environment for their growth is required, even in the absence of it, they did pretty well for a developing nation, limited on resources and infrastructure.

It has been proven time and again that private industries are better at performance, SpaceX vs NASA is the biggest example of that. Private players have that dedication that government employees with job security lack. Their scientists and engineers know that they will get fired for failing to perform and there's a constant competitive environment present.

Our private defence industry is relatively very new and requires more push by the government.
You are the ones crying not me.Forget defence, show me one area where our private industries are world beaters ? Stop PSU bashing.This Randi Rona will not take us anywhere.

Even today PSU s like isro are the ones making India proud. We can work on improving both public and private sector. Trying to suppress one over other will lead us no where.

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
You are the ones crying not me.Forget defence, show me one area where our private industries are world beaters ? Stop PSU bashing.This Randi Rona will not take us anywhere.

Even today PSU s like isro are the ones making India proud. We can work on improving both public and private sector. Trying to suppress one over other will lead us no where.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.time...aulty-ammunition/amp_articleshow/69315854.cms ( https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.econ...ngth-iaf-to-govt/amp_articleshow/67665277.cms ( https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.econ...nities-next-year/amp_articleshow/70174374.cms (amazing work of psu) private companies like tata reliance Infosys are boosting our economy and tata cars are pretty nice now nexon and tata tiago and tata harrier) isro works like individuals and they and nations have hope from them if one psu is doing good doesn't mean all are performing well.

republic_roi97

Country flag

Lol really ? Did you read a single line of my post ? I never said that I don't like PSU or PSUs of India are incompetent, infact quite the contrary, they perform pretty well, I just said that private players need a environment for setting up their enterprises and for their good growth, inspite of the fact that India lacked good infra and policies for nurturing private sector, our private sector is doing pretty damn great. I don't want them to build icbms for us neither the government does, but worldwide its the private players like Tata Mahindra Reliance and others which would bring in more money.

As for their products, you just need to look at MKU based in Kanpur, its supplying Nato grade helmets developed by them to our Army and not just us some of the NATO countries too import it from India. Their are hundreds of such examples, agreed that they don't stand against some big conglomerates when it comes to more complex tech, but that is what needs to change by changing policies and implementation of a nourishing infrastructure and competitive environment for private players to come and grow.

south block

up your a**
Country flag
Indian pvt sector & it supporter are big loudmouth with nothing to show for....PSU on the other hand has delivered again & again what these clowns can only dream off. They should stick to screw driving foreign maal or selling diapers, tata tea etc. the moment they see som PSU making profit all maggots come crawling out of their toilet hole wanting everything to be privatised.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Sofradir is more than happy to sell to Tonbo to gain market dominance.

IndianHawk

Country flag
That is how most companies start . No one starts building everything in the beginning.

First you sale , then you assemble , then you manufacture , then you design and build your own , then you do future research and development.

Tombo is far ahead on the cycle .

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

lcafanboy

Country flag
India to explore developing engine for military jets with Rolls Royce
Published August 17, 2019 | By admin SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK A

French multinational aircraft engine company, Safran asked India to invest close to 6000 Crores and committed to investing 3000 crores of its investment as part of Rafale offset obligations to revive India’s now stalled Kaveri engine program, DRDO is now considering having talks with Britain’s engineering major Rolls Royce after French offer was considered too pricey by DRDO. DRDO already has invested over 3000 crores in the Kaveri engine program but an additional investment for 6000 crores only to get core section of M-88-3 engines which included custom modification of the new Kaveri engine with Indian developed technology, and later certification of the modified engine along with technology transfer could have meant that SAFRAN enjoyed Royalty for its tech for decades to come. DRDO officials informed idrw.org that at least for Tejas Mk1A and MWF-Mk2 fighter jet program they are sticking with American GE developed F404-IN20 (84 kN) and F414-GE-INS6 (98 kN) turbofan engines and Even for Naval Mk2 program, GE’s F414-GE-INS6 turbofan engines are preferred but the problem with GE has being is that these engines are brought off the shelf and has no option of even local license assembly let alone any Transfer of Technology of Key core technology. Prototypes of India’s 5th Generation AMCA Stealth fighter jets will use GE’s F414-GE-INS6 turbofan engines in the initial stage but the aircraft requires more powerful engine which can generate 110 kN of Thrust class over what current GE engines can generate 98 kN for which GE has offered India its F414 Enhanced Engine which it says will be ready by 2022. F414 Enhanced Engine which has been under development for the US Navy for its F/A-18 E/F and EA 18G aircraft fleet will be able to generate around 116 kN Thrust class which is 18% improvement over Standard F414 engines. GE believes F414 Enhanced Engines which will go into production by 2022 and already has orders worth $630 million from US Navy to replace older engines in its aircraft will make it a perfect fit for the AMCA program since the developmental cost of the program already is funded by US Navy. British Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon in his visit to India in 2017 had offered India to jointly develop a new engine based on EuroJet turbofan engine which powers Eurofighter Typhoon. The UK already has invited India to co-develop a sixth-generation fighter called the Tempest but no decision has been taken yet but India is yet to take a call on co-development offer on both engine and new 6th generation fighter aircraft with the United Kingdom. Military think tanks in India have called for the revival of Kaveri engine program so that India is not left behind in the development of military-grade turbo class engines for its fighter and transport aircraft programs and have called upon Modi government to inject program with more funds and new engineers and scientist along with the participation of private sector to kick start the program again. DRDO officials who spoke to idrw.org believes the key decision on the direction of the program will be taking place next few months, will DRDO get-go head to have talks with Rolls Royce or new core team will be formed to develop new higher thrust engines with fresh funding what will chart the future course of military jet engines development in India.

http://idrw.org/india-to-explore-developing-engine-for-military-jets-with-rolls-royce/#more-208113 .

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
I asked major weapon system.every system which you have mentioned has borrowed designs, borrowed major components .

And for God's sake please don't make a fool of yourself by talking about trucks technology and equating them to something as complex as jet engines . Even Tata engines are not designed in India. They are borrowed , reverse engineered once. I don't want to derail tata but tata automobiles are the last thing you should show to inspire confidence in end users.
You are changing the topic of the argument. You asked which Pvt companies have manufactured defence equipment and the answer was given. But instead now you say they only borrowed tech and reverse engineered. Yes they did that, so what ? That was not your initial argument was it ? Besides you think Chinese invented everything from scratch & became a super power. When you can quickly acquire the tech from other means why re invent the wheel ?

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
I'm not at all disappointed in Kaveri.
I think it's a fine engine.

Just look at it for a moments here.

We have only spent some $ 400 million over the span of 30 years. In the process we learned a lot in Turbojet department some 30 years worth of Experience, one which we didn't have before.

Dumping Kaveri like HAL marut will be a blunder on govement part.
If we spend some more time and money we may improve this engine ourselves.

Furthermore they can tie up with Private players. At the very least private entity will learn somethings from inputs of GTRE.

G10

Country flag
I'm not at all disappointed in Kaveri.
I think it's a fine engine.

Just look at it for a moments here.

We have only spent some $ 400 million over the span of 30 years. In the process we learned a lot in Turbojet department some 30 years worth of Experience, one which we didn't have before.

Dumping Kaveri like HAL marut will be a blunder on govement part.
If we spend some more time and money we may improve this engine ourselves.

Furthermore they can tie up with Private players. At the very least private entity will learn somethings from inputs of GTRE.
Sitting on a project for 30 years is not experience. Out of that 30 years only 5 or max 10 years worth of experience may be there. Only god knows.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
India to explore developing engine for military jets with Rolls Royce
Published August 17, 2019 | By admin SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK A

French multinational aircraft engine company, Safran asked India to invest close to 6000 Crores and committed to investing 3000 crores of its investment as part of Rafale offset obligations to revive India’s now stalled Kaveri engine program, DRDO is now considering having talks with Britain’s engineering major Rolls Royce after French offer was considered too pricey by DRDO. DRDO already has invested over 3000 crores in the Kaveri engine program but an additional investment for 6000 crores only to get core section of M-88-3 engines which included custom modification of the new Kaveri engine with Indian developed technology, and later certification of the modified engine along with technology transfer could have meant that SAFRAN enjoyed Royalty for its tech for decades to come. DRDO officials informed idrw.org that at least for Tejas Mk1A and MWF-Mk2 fighter jet program they are sticking with American GE developed F404-IN20 (84 kN) and F414-GE-INS6 (98 kN) turbofan engines and Even for Naval Mk2 program, GE’s F414-GE-INS6 turbofan engines are preferred but the problem with GE has being is that these engines are brought off the shelf and has no option of even local license assembly let alone any Transfer of Technology of Key core technology. Prototypes of India’s 5th Generation AMCA Stealth fighter jets will use GE’s F414-GE-INS6 turbofan engines in the initial stage but the aircraft requires more powerful engine which can generate 110 kN of Thrust class over what current GE engines can generate 98 kN for which GE has offered India its F414 Enhanced Engine which it says will be ready by 2022. F414 Enhanced Engine which has been under development for the US Navy for its F/A-18 E/F and EA 18G aircraft fleet will be able to generate around 116 kN Thrust class which is 18% improvement over Standard F414 engines. GE believes F414 Enhanced Engines which will go into production by 2022 and already has orders worth $630 million from US Navy to replace older engines in its aircraft will make it a perfect fit for the AMCA program since the developmental cost of the program already is funded by US Navy. British Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon in his visit to India in 2017 had offered India to jointly develop a new engine based on EuroJet turbofan engine which powers Eurofighter Typhoon. The UK already has invited India to co-develop a sixth-generation fighter called the Tempest but no decision has been taken yet but India is yet to take a call on co-development offer on both engine and new 6th generation fighter aircraft with the United Kingdom. Military think tanks in India have called for the revival of Kaveri engine program so that India is not left behind in the development of military-grade turbo class engines for its fighter and transport aircraft programs and have called upon Modi government to inject program with more funds and new engineers and scientist along with the participation of private sector to kick start the program again. DRDO officials who spoke to idrw.org believes the key decision on the direction of the program will be taking place next few months, will DRDO get-go head to have talks with Rolls Royce or new core team will be formed to develop new higher thrust engines with fresh funding what will chart the future course of military jet engines development in India.

http://idrw.org/india-to-explore-developing-engine-for-military-jets-with-rolls-royce/#more-208113 .
It wont work since we are using GE engines and the new american Apache and Seahawk helicopters coming in fast.

su35

Country flag
Also what Happend to the old mig 23 and 25.
Can't we send it to our college's for study or is it prohibited by the Russians govemenet?

AFAIK mig 25 had one of the best engine for its time, sustaining some 3.2 mach of speed.
It is high fuel consuming one with big ir signature not designed for low flying mission

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
(GTRE TURNS 60 BUT STILL NO DEVELOPMENT) Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) is a laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) which became operational in 1959 with primary aim of research and development in Aerogas turbine technology as GTRE turns 60 this year, we look into the achievements of the establishment and the work it has been doing on development of military-grade jet engine technology and it is hard to find any of their product actually entering production or have any military applications. Last major project taken up by the organization was the development of GTX-35VS Kaveri Engine which since 2014 has been abandoned due to lack of progress even after 30 years of being in research and development. The only major but critical program under the organization today, has been the development of small turbofan jet engine for Nirbhay cruise missile program which is widely and easily available at the international market and can also be developed by private companies back home. Prominent whistle-blower Prabhu Dandriyal has alleged massive irregularity and corruptions in GTRE and has written to PM Narendra Modi which has resulted in several inquiries and action within the organization in the past decade. He also raised issues of nepotism in DRDO and Mini-unions in the organization which has made sure that they will hold on to their jobs without any results to show. Many Aviation experts and IAF officials in the past have called for the merger of GTRE into ISRO so that it can break free from DRDO which is pretty much not doing anything to get results out of the organization. Dandriyal also has blamed powerful lobby which ensures that GTRE survives without many results to show in the last 60 years of its establishment. Aviation experts have recently suggested that a new core team of military Turbine Researchers should be established and capable people from organizations like HAL and GTRE should be roped in develop a new bread of engines which can be used in a host of products from a drone to military jets. HAL which has been developing Hindustan Turbo Fan Engine (HTFE-25) for light trainers and drones seems to have a higher chance of successful completion of the project then GTRE which is working on a much smaller program like Manik and is yet to give a final product due to which Nirbhay missile program has been on hold.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Till GTRE is developing this project, Kaveri is not gonna be dream come true. I have zero hopes for this project, ISRO must research in this aspect to bring a shuttle to life and so we cam get an engine capable enough to power our future endeavors.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles