Kaveri Engine

no smoking

Country flag
I think what went wrong with Kaveri is that it was too ambitious design. or low bypass turbofan design, you need a highly efficient core because if your core is not efficient, you can not get that bypass flow. Initial kaveri design was too ambitious with 5 stage compression. GE 414 operates on 30:1 compression ratio. This is too difficult to achieve. I think kaveri has not reached even 25:1. This makes core less efficient and in totality, it is too difficult to achieve that bypass ratio ratio. Core must generate sufficient power to rotate fan and achieve high bypass ratio.
My 2 cent guys. Please correct me guys if I am wrong.
The fact of overweight suggests the problem is more serious than "Ambitious" design.

Enquirer

I think what went wrong with Kaveri is that it was too ambitious design. or low bypass turbofan design, you need a highly efficient core because if your core is not efficient, you can not get that bypass flow. Initial kaveri design was too ambitious with 5 stage compression. GE 414 operates on 30:1 compression ratio. This is too difficult to achieve. I think kaveri has not reached even 25:1. This makes core less efficient and in totality, it is too difficult to achieve that bypass ratio ratio. Core must generate sufficient power to rotate fan and achieve high bypass ratio.
My 2 cent guys. Please correct me guys if I am wrong.
A high-bypass turbofan is technologically more challenging than a low-bypass turbofan!

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Variable cycle? That is a joke. The american is struggling to get their variable cycle engine (the real one) ready for their future 6th generation fighter, Indian had decided to equip their LCA with such an advanced engine 30 years ago?

Only one. But the difference is: the super kaveri is still sitting on the ground while Chinese VCE is already flying.
All depends the performance you expect.
The Concorde was powered by such an engine. 50 years ago.

Skdas

In AeroIndia, M88 may be on display. Bit that doesn't mean M88 is made in India. Similarly, it is not necessary that Kaveri is fit for flying. The main question is whether LCA will fly with Kaveri. That has not been answered yet
A test bench display of Kaveri will be enough... By next year if we see a LSP Tejas with Kaveri powered Uttam, Astra under its wing would be a sight to behold...

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Which bird sirji????? :laugh: double engine or single engine one, either ones are not going through thanks to our government no efforts.
Well you and me knows well enough that neither IA, nor IAF want anything local, politicians looks for kickbacks as elections are costly and nonone is immune to this.

We watch in shock as to whats going on and how things are managed.

Kchontha

Country flag
Is mk2 going to be single amca?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Don't expect more from mk1....
Major changes require a new design...so...mk2....will be better than mk1...
Mk1 is there to replace mig21....
And its better than mig21
Hope a "recent" light fighter to be better than a 1960 one!!!

Vande1947

Country flag
But i still feel we are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Maybe we are a decade away from an integrated military industrial complex. The major stumbling block till now was our inability to think big and not enough people to think big ( of course there are other reasons which we know of, so please don't roast me ). There are winds of change around and once they gather momentum, the results will appear on the ground.
So says an optimist!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles