Kaveri Engine

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
any. update are we still hoping to fly. tejas with kaveri in 2019
or we r late
what's about k9 and k10
Nearly 1.5 months ago, I'd an update that Safran-GTRE ready to ship Safranized kaveri to france for testing.
Hope, They did the same and we may expect some info from overseas...
Atleast, you may except LCA with Kaveri for a static display at AI19
KO and I10 is different story anyways..

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Nearly 1.5 months ago, I'd an update that Safran-GTRE ready to ship Safranized kaveri to france for testing.
Hope, They did the same and we may expect some info from overseas...
Atleast, you may except LCA with Kaveri for a static display at AI19
KO and I10 is different story anyways..
bro u r our last hope,our source
I HV stopped reading defense articles after that article on tejas

kamaal

Country flag
Safranised Kaveri
  • The present Safran core installed had given Safranised Kaveri an unstable thrust of 6x/9x.
  • The step 1 is stable 65/98 and step 2 which is to be officially targeted to be deployed is 72/110.
  • A further discussion with Saab on fitting this engine on Gripen E had resulted in a mixed response.
  • Safranised Kaveri is much too large for unmodified Gripen so major modification is needed.
  • When asked for the same , saab said it will take time.
  • It has requested India to first finalize the design and operationalize the engine and then give us 5years to modify the bay and equalize the weight, etc etc to start certification process for the Safranised Kaveri Gripen E
  • OTOH F16 is indeed a better host for that engine since the engine willcome with stealth features"Lower IR read" among other features.
  • The F16 has enough space to play around and let that engine breath properly, the air intakes are big enough for uprated Safranised Kaveri engine also.
  • F16 design is said to be an easier integrator for the engine where as the Gripen would need years and years of testing and redesign.
  • The target rate for the engine is 110 with Afterburner but it has not yet reached that.
  • Its high altitude testing will be done in France but stall test here in India.
  • The engine is expected to have similar life values as Russia engines in 72/110Kn format and 65/98 is targeted to be at par with ECO pack like features.
  • It's said that both these engines are targeted to be like M88-4 and M88-3 like needs, life and serviceability.
  • A separate ECO pack for each is planned to enhance its life , serviceability and maintainence perspectives as much as possible.
Everything about this post makes me optimistic about this joint development.

But unfortunately nothing is seen on the ground yet, this for me is just another blah blah from Pari.

I'll never believe on such post until it is seen by naked eyes.

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
haha that post^ from parikrama is fake and kaveri in f16?
not possible f16 uses ge f110 engine with weight of 1700kg!!!
our kaveri is 1200kg may be less kaveri is very small compared to f110
f110 can be compared with al31fp

SanjeevM

Country flag
Since we involved French on Kaveri, did India totally stop fixing Kaveri by itself? Are we in parallel to French working on Kaveri are also trying to fix Kaveri ourselves?

If we want to be indigenous manufacturing aircraft, we also need to invest in state of art engine testing facilities rather than depending on French or Russia to test our engines. It would be a one time investment.

If we are also trying to fix Kaveri ourselves, French will feel competition and may try to fix Kaveri faster.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Since we involved French on Kaveri, did India totally stop fixing Kaveri by itself? Are we in parallel to French working on Kaveri are also trying to fix Kaveri ourselves?

If we want to be indigenous manufacturing aircraft, we also need to invest in state of art engine testing facilities rather than depending on French or Russia to test our engines. It would be a one time investment.

If we are also trying to fix Kaveri ourselves, French will feel competition and may try to fix Kaveri faster.
French didn't give any ToT in engine but gave consultancy. India is fixing the engine by itself with French experts who are giving guidance, answering questions and helping in fine tuning it by proper alignment and adjustments.

It is just a substitute for trial and error fine tuning by Indians, not ToT. As france said, India had completed 75% of engine and the last mile problems were remaining.

About whether India has built testing facilities, I don't know. Some other people have to tell

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace

Both are running in parallel... As of now...

Babloo Singh

Country flag
French didn't give any ToT in engine but gave consultancy. India is fixing the engine by itself with French experts who are giving guidance, answering questions and helping in fine tuning it by proper alignment and adjustments.

It is just a substitute for trial and error fine tuning by Indians, not ToT. As france said, India had completed 75% of engine and the last mile problems were remaining.

About whether India has built testing facilities, I don't know. Some other people have to tell
Well we are putting up new test facility which can test engines up to 130-150 Kn

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
with current technological development in India
we will not be able to develop any critical technology.

and that cryogenic engine was all Russian model..

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
I hope we are successful ourselves before French declaration that Kaveri is ready with their core.
1. Plan to introduce the m88 core in Kaveri-GTX is not a permanent solution for a indigenous engine.
2. M88 core is opted to urgently reduce the reliability on imported engines. (I'm point out f404 for mk1a), It(JV) will be converted into further joint projects.
3. Totally indigenous Kaveri-GTX is on its way and introducing next gen tech (like Single crystal blade tech) developed by various DRDO labs like DMRL etc.
4. Before Safran help, GTRE managed to get sustained 65-70% of power at low altitudes and about 60-65% at high altitudes. For further throttle, it produce unstable power and vibrations. Peak power achieved in some of the ground tests is ~82kn but its not stable.
5. Further few months are crucial for Safran/GTRE kaveri.

Last edited:

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
with current technological development in India
we will not be able to develop any critical technology.

and that cryogenic engine was all Russian model..
Oh please don't make statements which you can't back. India bought some technology from Ukraine in 2005s was related to semi cryogenic engine. Just Fast breeder reactor, cryogenic is all Indian, and with current tech India can put a decent engine with t2w equal to Ej200 and M88 but will require design from scratch and will take more than a decade to fly fit. Meanwhile Kaveri engine achieved its initial requirements here in India only, French investment is in enhancing the engine performance.

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Oh please don't make statements which you can't back. India bought some technology from Ukraine in 2005s was related to semi cryogenic engine. Just Fast breeder reactor, cryogenic is all Indian, and with current tech India can put a decent engine with t2w equal to Ej200 and M88 but will require design from scratch and will take more than a decade to fly fit. Meanwhile Kaveri engine achieved its initial requirements here in India only, French investment is in enhancing the engine performance.

BS!

I know how scientists visited many places to get it working. Let's not go to that point.

Why bring cryogenic engine here? What is the evidence you have to make the statement you made?
And I don't need to present any evidence.

Chapter closed.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha

Do you know that breeder reactor is a huge source of high grade plutonium at the expense of U238? Are you saying that Ukraine will sell such a thing to India?

BS!

I know how scientists visited many places to get it working. Let's not go to that point.

And I don't need to present any evidence.

Chapter closed.
It was reverse engineered from Russian cryogenic engine with some indigenous technology development. Don't act oversmart. Similarly, turbofan engine also was first made by Germany in WW2. The allies took it and developed further. Now, India is developing its own technology by taking cues from other engines and also its its own. Kaveri is a flat rated engine which other countries don't use

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles