Karna's grasp of Dharma

DingDong

Country flag
Karna fought on the wrong side and met his fate, but he met warrior's death. Lord Krishna was not so lucky, he met disgraceful death for being a trickster.
The message: Even god is not immune from divine laws.

One more interesting story I learnt, Duryodhan was free to choose any one of the 5 Pandavas for his last duel, he could choose Yudhisthira, Nakul etc and could defeat them easily, but instead he selected Bhima for the duel because he wanted to have a fair fight. Despite all the flaws in his character, Duryodhana was a great warrior and a noble king.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Karna fought on the wrong side and met his fate, but he met warrior's death. Lord Krishna was not so lucky, he met disgraceful death for being a trickster.
The message: Even god is not immune from divine laws.

One more interesting story I learnt, Duryodhan was free to choose any one of the 5 Pandavas for his last duel, he could choose Yudhisthira, Nakul etc and could defeat them easily, but instead he selected Bhima for the duel because he wanted to have a fair fight. Despite all the flaws in his character, Duryodhana was a great warrior and a noble king.
Krishna's death was because of the Bali episode of Ramayana as per some.

Duryodhana incident also fulfilled Bhima's vow. Although, Krishna played a role in ensuring Duryodhana's weak spot too.

Khagesh

Krishna's death came because he had accepted the curse of Gandhari. Which was the right thing to do.

Duryodhan's weakness was spotted by Krishna. But Duryodhan's weakness was entirely his own making.

kafir kaur

Country flag
There are only a few English translations.

Clay based on vulgate editions. It is incomplete and suspended.
Ganguly based on archaic English language.
P Lal.
Dutt based on archair English lanauge
Debroy's the latest and the only one based on Critical Edition.

In any case none of these editions claim to be the sole representative of the original Mahabharata as you do.

Critical edition is a "literary" edition as an attempt was made to lose those portions of Mahabharata which the sankrit scholars felt were possible additions by various sampradayas or scholars or commentators. Even the quality of sanskrit even in the same parvas is vastly different in the Critical edition.

"Folklore", regional editions, commentaries have an extremely important role to play in interpreting and understanding Mahabharata. As @Bhadra sir said "stop looking for original Mahbharata in the void of a logic to explain things.. nothing is original in ever changing world ... and ever changing mind."
i never said these versions are the sole representatives of original MB, i said they are close to the original epic as the authors have tried to translate in simple language for modern understanding.
you believe what you want to, your wish .I was just putting forward my point.
anyways as @sgarg stated this thread was about discussing dharm/adharm let it be so. lets not derail it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
i never said these versions are the sole representatives of original MB, i said they are close to the original epic
On what basis are you saying this ?

as the authors have tried to translate in simple language for modern understanding.
Mahabharat "literary" translations are not intended for people only able to understand simple language.

you believe what you want to, your wish .I was just putting forward my point.
anyways as @sgarg stated this thread was about discussing dharm/adharm let it be so. lets not derail it.
Well within the realm of the thread topic.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Krishna's death came because he had accepted the curse of Gandhari. Which was the right thing to do.
Yep there are two different versions.

Duryodhan's weakness was spotted by Krishna. But Duryodhan's weakness was entirely his own making.
I believe Krishna actively took part in this episode when he made Duryodhan cover his bits.

kafir kaur

Country flag
On what basis are you saying this ?

Mahabharat "literary" translations are not intended for people only able to understand simple language.

Well within the realm of the thread topic.
and on what basis are you saying the contrary ?ppl who are interested in researching on MB take these translations as a reference not the folklores,novels you are pointing out.
i have a friend who is a sanskrit scholar and a professor, she has studied the so called "original sanskrit epic" which is available and also the translated versions.
This is the kmg translated version and can be understood by a laymanSacred-Texts: Hinduism

kafir kaur

Country flag
:pound: Oh God Kali Yuga @Singh & @kafir kaur fighting over who is right on 'Mahabharat'

BTW like every war 'History always written by Winners'. If the lord krishna was with Pandavas,they must follow Dharma&Dharma only.So what ever done by pandavas is considered as Dharma.
well, MB is not just history it is considered as a religious scripture by religious hindus. it is also known as the 5th veda.
in case of writing history, MB was not written by pandavas or krishna, it was penned down by a third party i.e. ved vyas who was pretty neutral since he was the biological grandfather of both pandavas and kauravas.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
:pound: Oh God Kali Yuga @Singh & @kafir kaur fighting over who is right on 'Mahabharat'

BTW like every war 'History always written by Winners'. If the lord krishna was with Pandavas,they must follow Dharma only.So what ever done by pandavas DURING WAR is considered as Dharma.

My favorite is Karna he is right man in wrong party like Manmohan Singh.Karna is dharmic but side with Adharmic
Still only Yudhistir goes to Swarg while all the Kauravas went there! Winners were bad at writing history!

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
No it is biased towards pandavas,How can you miss the most important figure in the MB 'The lord Krishna' with pandavas obviously they will win.And they were following dharma.
Krishna was an Avatar, the whole point of being an Avatar is being bound by human laws and human nature. Same reason why Rama exiled Sita.

Please don't impose Abrahimic concept of Jesus like divinity to this context.

Last edited:

kafir kaur

Country flag
No it is biased towards pandavas,How can you miss the most important figure in the MB 'The lord Krishna' with pandavas obviously they will win.And they were following dharma.
If it was indeed biased towards the pandavas then how come all the follies they committed are clearly mentioned and even the treachery they did during war is not edited, if the purpose of the epic was to project them as heros then the crimes they committed would have been brushed under the carpet and they would have been presented as squeaky clean. But thats not the case. Lord krishna sided with the pandavas not because of his personal liking or partiality towards them as some like to portray, he sided with them bcoz they were willing to learn from their mistakes and become better human beings, same can't be said about the other party.

and btw karna is not a saint that he is projected in the 21st century, in some cases he was as bad as duryodhan or even worse. He was the one of the main perpetrators in the assault committed on draupadi which led to her disrobing and eventually led to the war.

Last edited:

Khagesh

Yep there are two different versions.
In parallel worlds inhabited by people alien to their own culture.

I believe Krishna actively took part in this episode when he made Duryodhan cover his bits.
Not the first time a man's stupidity was used against him. Pride, stupidity, cupidity, anger, greed, fear, delusions, passions and envy are meant to be culled. Whether in oneself or in others. You should be happy for how Krishna dealt with Duryodhan.

But why are you so bothered by what happened to Duryodhan. He was wrong, right? And for crimes like those people should be made answerable. If during this course those people try to up the ante then they bloody well have to be ready for whatever follows. Applies to the camp followers of such criminals also.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
and on what basis are you saying the contrary ?ppl who are interested in researching on MB take these translations as a reference not the folklores,novels you are pointing out.
i have a friend who is a sanskrit scholar and a professor, she has studied the so called "original sanskrit epic" which is available and also the translated versions.
This is the kmg translated version and can be understood by a laymanSacred-Texts: Hinduism
There is no "original sanskrit epic". She must've read the BORI one compiled in the 20the century.
Ganguly's version is not based on critical edition as it was written in the 19th century. And it is not very nuanced to put it mildly.

The only English translation of critical/BORI edition has been done by Bibek Debroy. I am not sure if all of it is published too.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

BTW like every war 'History always written by Winners'. If the lord krishna was with Pandavas,they must follow Dharma only.So what ever done by pandavas DURING WAR is considered as Dharma.

My favorite is Karna he is right man in wrong party like Manmohan Singh.Karna is dharmic but side with Adharmic
Technically we are in Dwapar Yuga. There was a thread about this a few years ago. :namaste:

Oi @Sakal Gharelu Ustad another Karna loving loser !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles