Kamorta Class ASW Corvettes

ladder

Country flag
What's with the crumpling on these ships anyway? Is it the armour?
Small indentations/depressions on vertical surface helps reduce RCS of ships. But, I don't know beyond it. You have to Google for further details.

Wiki says this

Detail of the Forbin, a modern frigate of the French navy. The faceted appearance reduces radar cross-section for stealth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_cross-section#mediaviewer/File:Cheminee_tribord_du_forbin.JPG

Last edited:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

The Union Minister for Finance, Corporate Affairs and Defence, Shri Arun Jaitley unveiled the plaque on commissioning of INS Kamorta, at Eastern Naval Command, Visakhapatnam on August 23, 2014. The Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral R.K. Dhowan is also seen.

The Union Minister for Finance, Corporate Affairs and Defence, Shri Arun Jaitley along with the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral R.K. Dhowan in a group photograph onboard INS Kamorta, at the commissioning ceremony, at Eastern Naval Command, Visakhapatnam on August 23, 2014.

Last edited:

rohit b3

Country flag
What do they mean by " The ship can carry an integral ASW helicopter, this is the first such addition on any Indian warship"

:confused:Dont other Indian warships carry a Heli?

Dhairya Yadav

What do they mean by " The ship can carry an integral ASW helicopter, this is the first such addition on any Indian warship"

:confused:Dont other Indian warships carry a Heli?
Other ships do carry Helicopters, but not every helicopter is ASW capable. India is pretty short of ASW helicopters.

rohit b3

Country flag
Question. What kind of Klub missiles are equipped with the Indian Navy? Isnt there a Supersonic as well as a Subsonic version? Also can anyone tell me when Klub was actually inducted ? Cant find any induction date..
Wanna know how capable it is, and how it compares to BrahMos.

Bheeshma

No Klub missiles (AShm variety ) is subsonic till last 20 km or so and then goes super sonic. Sub sonic flight allows it to be a sea skimmer and not use too much fuel.

ramakrishna

The Indian Navy is set to commission the first domestically built INS Kamorta stealth anti-submarine warfare (ASW) corvette at the Naval Dockyard in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, on 23 August. Built by Garden Reach Shipyard (GRSE) under project 28, the new vessel is the first of four ASW stealth corvettes designed by the Directorate of Naval Design (DND), which is the Indian Navy's domestic organisation.

rohit b3

Country flag
Kamorta Class wont have Klub missiles equipped.
Furthur it would have only 16 X Barak 1 missiles

Isnt that injustice to its size and tonnage? 3000 tons+?

I mean the latest Russian Gorshkov Class Frigate @ 4100 tons carries 16 X Super sonic Anti-ship missiles + 32 SAMs + 324mm Torpedo tubes.

AMRITAVA

Country flag
kamorta is sub surface warfare ship ..whereas Gorshkov Class is Frigate........so there will be difference in arment

Blood+

Country flag
kamorta is sub surface warfare ship ..whereas Gorshkov Class is Frigate........so there will be difference in arment
That is no excuse my friend.You should look at an warship as a piece of real estate and in this case I do feel that we have wasted a lot of space in this corvettes by not including at least an 8 cell VLS module for AShMs and a farter 16 VLS for SAMs.

anupamsurey

Country flag
That is no excuse my friend.You should look at an warship as a piece of real estate and in this case I do feel that we have wasted a lot of space in this corvettes by not including at least an 8 cell VLS module for AShMs and a farter 16 VLS for SAMs.
the only thing i get from this design is that it is is made for the stealth, if you stockpile too many things (unwarranted) on this kind of ships you compromise on the stealth aspect of the vessel. but sources do say that they will carry the same armaments as of the talwar ans shivalik class of frigates, so you can expect Brahmos in this package.

shiphone

Country flag
LIMA'15 , Malaysia ... It was said that one of the P17 Frigates from IN eastern fleet would join the expo, but finally it turns to be a P28 corvette sailed to Langkawi for the display and fleet review...
it was open to the public some day too, but unfortunately, China Military photography fans were busy 'shooting' the birds in the air and missed the opening hours . it's a pity indeed...

source: DingShen forum, Copyright by LiuWangYe

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
although most of china Military photography fans missed the opening hours, there was some member from another media group managed to get on board just before the closing time, it's a little pity that he couldn't get inside due to the limited time left, but he was warmly welcomed by the IN officers and a short tour was arranged ... the accompanying Sergeant gave an interesting introduction but unfortunately again ,he was stuck with the Indian accent English ...LOL... anyway, let's enjoy the photos...
----------
some great shots by Famous photographer : eos5

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles