Kalam asks India to prepare for high-tech wars

EagleOne

NEW DELHI: Cautioning about nuclear arsenal of some of India's neighbours and the cyber threats posed by their hackers, former President A P J Abdul Kalam on Wednesday asked the security leadership to develop capabilities, including strategic missiles and military satellites, by 2020.

Kalam, who is hailed as the nation's missile man, also told them to prepare a military leadership firmly rooted in integrity to keep out corruption from the defence forces and maintained that warfare was not just about fighting wars, but also enabling peace.
"All around our nation, there are nations which possess nuclear arsenal...Computers with intelligent software will fight in the place of many strategic systems. They will be more powerful -- which will travel at the speed of light -- to destroy the economic capability of countries exceeding the power of nuclear weapons," Kalam said, delivering the 15th Field Marshal K M Carriappa memorial lecture here.
"India has to focus and strengthen its capacity on four fronts. Hence we should visualise the following five scenarios in place before the year 2020. They are: Space-based surveillance and reconnaissance, intelligence, defence, weapons and strategic alliances," he said at the event organised by the Army.
However, the former President did not take the name of any nation while highlighting the challenges posed by them to India's security in the cyber and nuclear domain.
He emphasised the need for "multiple centres with anti-ballistic missile systems, aircraft surveillance with deep penetration strike capabilities...Inter-continental ballistic missiles with nuclear warheads beyond 5,000-km range, and intermediate range ballistic missiles with 5,000-km range, whose probability was in sight now."
Kalam, who was earlier the principal scientific advisor to the Central government, said India should pursue "strategic alliances" with neighbours and other critical locations, establish mutually beneficial economic cooperation and "imbibe confidence among neighbours that aligning with democratic India is (of) the paramount importance for their internal peace and prosperity."
Warning that the transformational technologies that could enhance quality of life could become "dangerous tools" in the wrong hands, he said this phenomenon was true not only for technologies, but in social networking too.
"Past animosities, real or perceived enmities, and large inequities in development within nations and globe are waiting to use such networking and technologies for vicious purposes," he said.
"Social evil of corruption forms the other dimension and it cannot be allowed to intrude into the defence systems," he added.
Noting that the challenge was to equip the Indian security establishment to combat the fast-paced technology- driven warfare, Kalam said the whole war environment would be network centric and could be electronically controlled, combined with space,deep sea and ballistic missile encounters.
"The winner of future warfare will be the armed force which can visualise the strength of the enemy, not based on previous wars but based on the current capabilities, and technological advancements in the global scenario," he said.
"Our officers serving in the armed forces will have to get trained in virtual reality based simulated war fronts of all the terrains and all extreme conditions of warfare.
"Walk through during a space, chemical, nuclear and electronic encounters or attacks need to be visualised and proper counter measures, with decision making process, need to be propounded," he added.
Pointing out that future soldiers would be knowledge workers, Kalam said, "the future battlefield would require a synergised team work with joint services operation and use of land, aerospace and ocean as important war theatres."
Advocating the need for leveraging India's cyber knowledge base, the former President said in the electronically linked world, nations were increasingly linked economically and during war, destruction would be more severe and fatal if the economy collapsed.
"Cyber technology is the tool for such type of war. The future war that is powered by cyber war can create destruction effortlessly at the speed of light. The ICBMs and nuclear weapons will be becoming insignificant in the cyber warfare environment," he added.
He called for training of the country's work force, be it armed forces personnel, lawyers, police, judges, and others, on the possibilities of technology-centric crimes and war, warning that "in the absence of such awareness programme, a country can be defeated even without a missile or aircraft attack just through intelligent cyber war."
Without directly mentioning the Mumbai terror attacks of November 2008, Kalam said the nation had witnessed how terrorist operations were commanded and controlled using mobile communication devices in the midst of people, armed forces and paramilitary forces.
"In modern day, fight against terrorism (includes) blocking these communication devices using local high powered jammers. In such missions, one of the important strategic needs is fast and secure encryption and decryption. It is an essential tool towards preventing terrorists from achieving coordinated attacks," he added.

Kalam asks India to prepare for high-tech wars | A P J Abdul Kalam | strategic missiles | Indian Express

sky

I agree 1million percent,why is it when we find a great leader we shoot our selfs in the foot by replacing them...

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^ THat's because Dr. Kalam was not a politician; he was a honest, dedicated and nationalistic patriot who sincerely worked for the development of Indian military might and academics. And politicians on top grew paranoid of his growing fame all over the country. Dr. Kalam was certainly deserving of a second consecutive term as the President of India but the party changed, and he was shunted out in favour of a more inactive and indecisive Pratibha Patil.

ganesh177

Country flag
We should have a petition signed in to bring kalam back for next term of president of india.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
^ THat's because Dr. Kalam was not a politician; he was a honest, dedicated and nationalistic patriot who sincerely worked for the development of Indian military might and academics. And politicians on top grew paranoid of his growing fame all over the country. Dr. Kalam was certainly deserving of a second consecutive term as the President of India but the party changed, and he was shunted out in favour of a more inactive and indecisive Pratibha Patil.
And What Exactly does the President of India Do??? He was just a titular head of state! Had no real power or say in the matters concerning us! No Point in him having a second term in that scenario. I wouldnt mind if some party make him their PM Candidate

pankaj nema

Country flag
I think we are being IRRESPONSIBLE if we want to trouble DR Kalam at this Age .He deserves a happy and peace ful retired life
He has worked so hard for the country and now we say " Sir we are lazy and irresponsible. So please come and do what WE should be doing."

On the basis of this arguement we can say that those who work hard and with dedication should be "worked to DEATH " and the lazy and irreponsible people should LIVE OFF their efforts.

If we cant take care of our country we deserve to die.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I admire the man. He still looks out for the country.

If the political situation were a little more willing, I'd want him as PM!

prahladh

Respected Member
I admire the man. He still looks out for the country.

If the political situation were a little more willing, I'd want him as PM!
Wow! I would definitely want to see him as PM for atleast one-term.

pmaitra

And What Exactly does the President of India Do??? He was just a titular head of state! Had no real power or say in the matters concerning us! No Point in him having a second term in that scenario. I wouldnt mind if some party make him their PM Candidate
True. The President of India is a titular head. However, Dr. Kalam's power lies in the missiles that he has built. His power lies in the fact that India placed her future on this one man. If not for him, India probably could not have achieved so much in missile technology as of today.

The problem with scientists and economists is that they are too good and honest to be politicians. Honesty and politics don't quite go together, except of course in Utopia. That is the reason why the much respected and venerable Dr. Manmohan Singh is a silent spectator to the felonious chicanery of a closet-Maoist like Mamata Banerjee, who, at the moment is sitting in Dr. Manmohan Singh's Cabinet.

Last edited:

navida

His intentions are good . But I think he is kind of crazy. For what I know he started the whole 'India becoming a superpower' talk . He's a missile scientist with a fan boy's mind.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
His intentions are good . But I think he is kind of crazy. For what I know he started the whole 'India becoming a superpower' talk . He's a missile scientist with a fan boy's mind.
Fanboy? hahah easy to tell sitting in front of a computer! when he was our age, he was sending rockets into the sky and you call him a fanboy! :) India is on the road to SuperPowerdom. Its nothing to hide under the carpet. We have all it takes and will reach there. God Speed

navida

Fanboy? hahah easy to tell sitting in front of a computer! when he was our age, he was sending rockets into the sky and you call him a fanboy! :) India is on the road to SuperPowerdom. Its nothing to hide under the carpet. We have all it takes and will reach there. God Speed
I don't deny his achievements. But I feel he is too much talk and less action. Kind of like Zaid Hamid . Trying to 'awaken' the dormant Indian youth. His writings and speech cannot be taken seriously. He comes up with some brilliant idea to change India from time to time and doesn't really follow up. Then comes with another brilliant idea. Do you know he wowed to connect all the Indian rivers during his presidency. Did you hear anything about it?

Rage

DFI TEAM
It is a testament to the Missile Man's popularity that he got a larger ovation than even the Prime Minister.

And this Prime Minister is by no means unpopular.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I don't deny his achievements. But I feel he is too much talk and less action. Kind of like Zaid Hamid . Trying to 'awaken' the dormant Indian youth. His writings and speech cannot be taken seriously. He comes up with some brilliant idea to change India from time to time and doesn't really follow up. Then comes with another brilliant idea. Do you know he wowed to connect all the Indian rivers during his presidency. Did you hear anything about it?
Comparing him to Zaid Hamid?!!!! WTF!!!! Dude!!! I thought you were kind of sane, but that argument of yours fell flat across! You call such a Man as Kalam a Zaid Hamid, who quotes Non Existent Religious Traditions and dream of killing and nuking Millions??

And I suggest you read about what an Indian President Can and Cannot do and talk of the River Project and do read about it too rather than call this man a Zaid Hamid!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Read some of his books that will enlightened you and clear all the fog.

SHASH2K2

Salute to your creativity and Imagination. Comparing him to Zaid Hamid. :happy_8:
What do you know about Kalam Achievements to compare him to a Jihadi Clown?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
President Kalam got a lusty cheer from the spectators when his name was mentioned in the CWG.

A real fantastic man and a very fair and just man!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If Dr Kalam talks to much or try to 'awaken' the youth is a point in issue?

What is your take on Rahul Gandhi?

He also is taking a lot criss crossing the country and trying to 'awaken' the youth.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

He maybe a titular head and he may not have had the powers.

Yet, he ensured that immoral politics did not get any encouragement from him.

He listened to all, but ensured that what is right was his ruling when it was constitutionally his prerogative.

He was appointed during the BJP led NDA. He showed them no favours. He judged issues fairly and justly.

Neither did he cozy up with the Congress.

He was the best President India had.

He is loved by the Nation.

He got the loudest cheer when mentioned at the CWG. The prominent politicians and mentors got lukewarm cheers in comparison!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles