Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I think the battle of Gettysburg is overrated. I think there were only two opportunities for the South to have won the war. The first was at the battle of Bull Run, if Pierre Beauregard had driven on to Washington before it was fortified, game over. The second opportunity was at Shiloh. If Beauregard hadn't voted against a night assault to push Grant back into the river, they would have destroyed the Western Union Army, game over. PGT Beauregard is the reason the South lost the war... twice.

sob

Mod
Country flag
It is a nice way to keep the history of the era alive. Indeed the civil war was an important milestone for the world history.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think its sick how such tragic events like Gettysburg are made into entertainment spectacles.
Actually, it is a great way to remember the events in the Nation's history.

If it were drab, then none would see or care.

I saw the film Hakikat supposed to portray the 1962 War.

It had the fictional Capt. Bahadur Singh and his girlfriend Angmo (Priya Rajvansh) die holding the Chinese at bay so that their comrades can retreat to safety.

And that scene of the heroine atop a mountain singing some silly song and doing a jig.

Surprisingly, it was taken to be a very patriotic film

Yet, here is a comment

Did the rulers and the non-ruler politicians care for the jawans and spare some time to listen to their woes, complaints, demands and their voices of anguish and hopelessness? How many discussions and seminars saw our worthy politicians sitting in the in the audience and listening to the mistakes and major follies that shook the nation in 1962? It was necessary. It was needed because then alone one could have understood the real face of the 1962 action, so different from what we think we know just seeing the Haqeeqat movie.
http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatime...ate-takes-time-to-react-to-an-aggression?cp=5
As I see it, Hakikat was laughable since if that was war, then wars would be pleasurable.

Border was a far better representation of a combat event, but it too had much of Bollywood to ensure commercial viability, but it was plausible.

Last edited:

TrueSpirit

Actually, it is a great way to remember the events in the Nation's history.

If it were drab, then none would see or care.

I saw the film Hakikat supposed to portray the 1962 War.

It had the fictional Capt. Bahadur Singh and his girlfriend Angmo (Priya Rajvansh) die holding the Chinese at bay so that their comrades can retreat to safety.

And that scene of the heroine atop a mountain singing some silly song and doing a jig.

Surprisingly, it was taken to be a very patriotic film

Yet, here is a comment

As I see it, Hakikat was laughable since if that was war, then wars would be pleasurable.

Border was a far better representation of a combat event, but it too had much of Bollywood to ensure commercial viability, but it was plausible.
Sir, what do you think about another flick LoC-Kargil ? Have you heard about it....it is from the same maker.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
General Robert E. Lee, CSA:

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.
Comment to James Longstreet, on seeing a Federal charge repulsed in the Battle of Fredericksburg (13 December 1862)

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Seen this on TV... Discovery/NGC/Hist channel I think.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
With the name he must be having some French ancestry.
French Canadian, probably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_the_Acadians

The Expulsion of the Acadians, also known as the Great Upheaval, the Great Expulsion and Le Grand Dérangement, was the forced removal by the British of the Acadian people from the present day Canadian Maritime provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and also part of the US state of Maine—an area also known as Acadie. The Expulsion (1755–1763) occurred during the French and Indian War (the North American theatre of the Seven Years War). It was part of the British military campaign against New France. The British first deported Acadians to the Thirteen Colonies, and after 1758 they transported additional Acadians to France. Approximately 11,500 Acadians were deported by the British.[1]

After the British conquest of Acadia in 1710, the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht allowed the Acadians to keep their lands. Over the next forty-five years, the Acadians refused to sign an unconditional oath of allegiance to Britain. During this period, Acadians participated in various military operations against the British and maintained supply lines to the French fortresses of Louisbourg and Fort Beauséjour.[2] The British sought to eliminate future military threat posed by the Acadians and to permanently cut the supply lines they provided to Louisbourg by removing them from the area.[3][4]

Without making distinctions between the Acadians who had been neutral and those who had resisted the occupation of Acadia, the British governor Charles Lawrence and the Nova Scotia Council ordered them to be expelled.[5] In the first wave of the expulsion, Acadians were deported to other British colonies. During the second wave, they were deported to England and France, from where they migrated to Louisiana.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles