Jayalalithaa gets over radiation fear, may visit US ship

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa is likely to be among the highprofile guests at a dinner party on board a ship accompanying USS Carl Vinson on April 9. Official sources said the CM was keen to take part in the final day celebrations of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier calling on Chennai Port as part of the Malabar exercise. She is yet to officially confirm her participation though.

While a guest list of 30 VVIPs from Chennai, including Tamil Nadu governor K Rosaiah, has been drawn up, the CM's name does not figure in it yet. But state officials were confident that the CM would take part in the dinner being held to mark the three-day visit of USS Carl Vinson to the city.

"Indian officials have invited the Tamil Nadu governor, the chief minister, chief secretary Debendranath Sarangi, home secretary G Rajagopal and few senior bureaucrats and defence officials for the event. Until Friday, 30 dignitaries had confirmed their participation. We hope the CM will participate, too," said an official.

Not too long ago, when the USS Nimitz, another nuclear-armed aircraft carrier, was to anchor off the Chennai port, the AIADMK chief had opposed it saying the ship's visit would expose Chennai to "grave hazards of radiation". In 2007, Jayalalithaa had objected to the ship coming to the Chennai harbour, saying permission should not be granted to such a "deadly and disastrous" vessel to enter Indian waters.

The nuclear-powered USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) became famous when the US military made it known that the ship's deck was used to dispose of the body of Osama bin Laden in the Indian Ocean. The ship is in the region to take part in the 2012 edition of the annual Indo-US Naval exercise "Malabar" being held in the Bay of Bengal and beginning Saturday. The 10-day exercise, which will go on until April 16, will see the participation of frontline units from Navies of both India and the US. The Harbour phase, scheduled from April 7 to 9, is being held in Chennai.

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/12566013.cms

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
JJ afraid of radiation?

Where did that tomfool idea emanate from?

Iamanidiot

Iam finding it very uncomfortable that US is finding it necessary to cultivate regional satraps

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Iam finding it very uncomfortable that US is finding it necessary to cultivate regional satraps
It is a customary gesture the world over.

If they did not do so, it would be taken as an insult!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Specially with the tamils. The un resolution was also candy for the tamils by the yanks even though it will accomplish nothing on the ground.

Iamanidiot

Specially with the tamils. The un resolution was also candy for the tamils by the yanks even though it will accomplish nothing on the ground.
The UN resolution was to screw Rajapakse.I think they want to make investments in TN that is one explanation I can think off

arya

Country flag
JJ afraid of radiation?

well i don't think any wrong thing is is doing, may be some one try to stop our nuclear ins chakra,arhihant .

may be you will see politics they will appose them .

SPIEZ

Country flag
The UN resolution was to screw Rajapakse.I think they want to make investments in TN that is one explanation I can think off
What sort of investments are talking about ..?

sob

Mod
Country flag
JJ afraid of radiation?

This radiation theme runs in tamil politics. Some years back MK refused water from the desalination plant at Kalpakam with the same radiation boogey

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Christ, then I should be a radiation hazard.

Drank a whole lot of water in Chennai when I was there and also visited the nuclear station.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles