Japan's Jesuit Peril

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Not anymore, they don't. This was an old view that died with Japan's industrialization and modernization.
So now they mainly look down on us like the Chinese I presume?
I disagree.
Can you show me any evidence to prove otherwise?

The Japanese don't even use the name "Tenjiku" to refer to India anymore. They call it Indo (インド), just like Chinese call India as Yindu (印度).
Civicfanatic is perfectly right.

One thing that always needs to be remembered is: nothing is respected in this world except money. If you have money, you will be feted and respected and wooed. If you don't have money, you will be ridiculed and looked down upon. It is very simple, there is nothing else to it. There was no way we would ever be respected as the land of snake charmers, "Ghandi", slums and romantic poverty.

The respect for India has increased in the last 20 years due to economic development. As long as economic growth and prosperity increases, the respect for India by various cultures and nations will keep increasing.

Let us remember this. The national focus should be on economy, economy, and economy. Reforms, investment, growth - that should be the single point focus of the entire nation. That is the only way we will gain respect and recognition.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Civicfanatic is perfectly right.

One thing that always needs to be remembered is: nothing is respected in this world except money. If you have money, you will be feted and respected and wooed. If you don't have money, you will be ridiculed and looked down upon. It is very simple, there is nothing else to it. There was no way we would ever be respected as the land of snake charmers, "Ghandi", slums and romantic poverty.

The respect for India has increased in the last 20 years due to economic development. As long as economic growth and prosperity increases, the respect for India by various cultures and nations will keep increasing.

Let us remember this. The national focus should be on economy, economy, and economy. Reforms, investment, growth - that should be the single point focus of the entire nation. That is the only way we will gain respect and recognition.
+1 , and most East Asians are turning pro-India, not because of our culture, but because they think we can be a counter-weight to a dominant China.

panduranghari

Really. Making assumptions does not help. Money , Japan? They do not go hand in hand.

Here is a proof. now prove me wrong.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Really. Making assumptions does not help. Money , Japan? They do not go hand in hand.

Here is a proof. now prove me wrong.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say here. This graph is completely useless in the context of this discussion.

No one really knows or cares about esoteric economic principles like "Gross debt as a % of GDP". This graph is absolutely no use to more than 99.99% of the "mango people" anywhere in the world. All we know is that Japan is one of the richest nations in the world with some of the greatest cities, greatest technology and greatest prosperity. Some of the world's greatest and best innovation comes out of Japan, and not just in the field of cutting edge technology, but several other fields too.

I am not "making assumptions", as you put it. Maybe you haven't been to Japan, I have. I go there almost every two months. And to the other East Asian nations too. What I have typed above holds good for almost all East Asian nations.

And we will be looked down upon by them as a nation and as a society, till we get to a much much greater level of prosperity/power/influence. And the root of all this is the economy. Not only them, we will continue to be looked down upon by the West too. The day we send more tourists who stay in top hotels and spend good money, instead of people who travel as illegal immigrants or to do low-level jobs, the image of the Indian will change. The image of the Indian has changed to a great extent in the last 15 years, since we have been sending more professionals to the West as opposed to illegal immigrants etc. And this image will continue to get better as long as we keep growing and earning.

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Christianity has failed to spread in Japan because it is seen as too foreign and has not adapted itself to their culture, such as songs, books and other media. The culture has never been serious about religion as most of those who do go to church are only doing it for the cultural experience. The culture is a secular one, maybe the most in the world. If India is going to repeat this they would culturally have to stop being serious about all religions and just pay them lip service. That is something I don't see happening... ever.
Well without meaning to be rude or disrespectful, Christianity like other organized religions, is limited in philosophy. It demands absolutism and though today's modern European nations have liberalized, the core ideology of Abrahamic religion is more political dominance rather than spiritual and soul's liberation for human beings.

I don't know about Judaism but having observed both islam and christianity, I can vouch for that.

It is now no surprised why Europeans had to brush off the Church to become the developed, powerful and innovative states that they are today.

That is not the case with Dharmic faiths.

There is no distinction between culture and religion here. It is one and the same. It is a philosophy that is like many rivulets of the same river that ends up separating in some areas (principles of mainstream Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and Jainism) but finally end up with the ultimate goal; liberation of human beings.

And by liberation I don't mean "saving of mankind from Hell" or from"sin". But granting the soul freedom from the sufferings of the universe and into eternal bliss.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles