Japan's deputy PM apologizes for praising Nazi tactics

s002wjh

Country flag
TOKYO- Japan's gaffe-prone deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso apologized Thursday after suggesting that Tokyo could learn from Nazi Germany, which he praised for quietly rewriting that nation's constitution.

"What I said in reference to the Nazi administration did not reflect my true intention, and it is very unfortunate that it caused a misunderstanding," he said.

Germany and Japan were allies during the war.

At a symposium earlier in the week, Aso referred to the legislative skill and tactics of Adolf Hitler's Nazi government, which followed the chaos of the Germany's parliamentary representative democracy set up in 1919.

Aso retracted his remarks, apologizing for what he called an "inappropriate analogy," and in a rather confusing account explained that his comments were meant to show how a constitution could be revised without public consent or debate.

"What I meant to say is that ... revising the constitution is something that has to be debated properly and calmly," Aso told reporters. "But the fact that I used the Nazi administration as an example is something that I would like to retract."

Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party's is trying to reform the nation's constitution. Among the changes being muted are provisions to allow for a more expanded military role for Japan's Self Defense Forces, which make Japan's neighbors China and South Korea nervous.

"We urge the Japanese government and economic and political senior leaders to be more cautious in future about what they do and say," South Korea's Foreign Ministry spokesman Cho Tai-Young said in reaction to Aso's initial comments.

Meanwhile, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish human rights group, said: "The only lessons on governance that the world should draw from the Nazi Third Reich is how those in positions of power should not behave."

Aso's own party also distanced itself from the remarks.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said that the government has never seen Nazi Germany in a positive light. Since the end of the World War II, Japan has built a nation which ensures peace and human rights and will continue to make international contributions based on those principles, he added.
ultra nationalist japan gonna make the whole stew pot between china/korea, & japan situation worst. not really interest in everybody

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Maybe he is trying to match the PM's new aggressiveness! ;)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Did Aso imply that today's Japan resembles the Weimar Republic? Surely not.:notsure:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
say if Japan really praise Nazi, what would the rest of the world do against Japan? Economic sanction her?

t_co

say if Japan really praise Nazi, what would the rest of the world do against Japan? Economic sanction her?
China would smile; South Korea would shy away from Japan (and closer to China's position, by default), and the US would be mortified.

If Japan persisted, South Korea could possibly ask the US to choose between it and Japan in East Asia.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
any time anyone praises the prc chin government for anything, theyre also doing the same as what this japanese deputy pm did

the nazis did all they could to eliminate jewish people under their control ( and ddint succeed )

prc china did all they could to eliminate the tibetans, turks, inner mongolians and Manchurians under their control ( and may yet succeed )

hardly any difference except that it in china the genocide continues, so are they in fact worse ?

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
S.korea will go toward china, thus give US a headche on the situation. US don't want S.korea and Japan fight each other.

japan never has good relationship with russia/china/S.korea, which all are economic/military powerhouse, then there is taiwan which also don't have good relation with japan currently. while china don't have worry much about phillippine/vietnam since they are not direct competitor compare to japan.

if Japan really going to far on the nationlist stuff, even US will tell the japan to backoff. disabilities in the region is not in US best interest.

s002wjh

Country flag
any time anyone praises the prc chin government for anything, theyre also doing the same as what this japanese deputy pm did

the nazis did all they could to eliminate jewish people under their control ( and ddint succeed )

prc china did all they could to eliminate the tibetans, turks, inner mongolians and Manchurians under their control ( and may yet succeed )

hardly any difference except that it in china the genocide continues, so are they in fact worse ?
thats pure BS. goto tibet/inner mongol, there are millions of them, they get better education opportunity compare to han. in those area, ALL shops has chinese AND native minority language.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
thats pure BS. goto tibet/inner mongol, there are millions of them, they get better education opportunity compare to han. in those area, ALL shops has chinese AND native minority language.
it's your reply that is pure BS ! ( although nothing personal against you )

hereunder i have a list of SCHOLARLY ARTICLES delineating the economic exclusion of uyghurs,
economic exclusion of uyghurs - Google Scholar

another list of SCHOLARLY ARTICLES delineating the economic explusion of tibetans,
economic exclusion of tibetans - Google Scholar

and there's a third list of articles from credible sources for the exclusion of all indigenous peoples - too many to list here ...the first two should be bad enough dont you think

i can bet my last million dollars that every single indian person on this forum ( and anywhere else ) is grateful no end that they were not born a jew in nazi germany or even worse, an ethnic minority in todays' "peoples" republic of china ! :toilet:

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Politically Incorrect Analogy. Good that he has apologized.

no smoking

Country flag
Yes, there are plenty of papers, reports and journals praising PRC's archievement so far, I don't see any major media requiring an apology from the authors. Or they didn't receive your call?

Yes, that is why Tibetan population grew from 2.5m in 1959 to 6m in 2012 after 60+ years elimination. PRC must do a louse job.

Yes, hardly any difference except Tibetan population is even growing faster than average rate in China. Maybe you are re-defining "Elimination".

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
it's ineresting that both yourself and your coleage from prc avoid talking about uyghur situation

this can go on an on - so i'll end with this:-

the evidence is overwhelming

only those supporting the prc will look the other way

drkrn

Yes, there are plenty of papers, reports and journals praising PRC's archievement so far, I don't see any major media requiring an apology from the authors. Or they didn't receive your call?

Yes, that is why Tibetan population grew from 2.5m in 1959 to 6m in 2012 after 60+ years elimination. PRC must do a louse job.

Yes, hardly any difference except Tibetan population is even growing faster than average rate in China. Maybe you are re-defining "Elimination".
tibets population grew not that of tibetians due to mass immigration of hans into tibet.

t_co

it's ineresting that both yourself and your coleage from prc avoid talking about uyghur situation

this can go on an on - so i'll end with this:-

the evidence is overwhelming

only those supporting the prc will look the other way
lol this is a thread about japan praising the nazis, not about china and uighurs

nice try changing the subject

s002wjh

Country flag
tibets population grew not that of tibetians due to mass immigration of hans into tibet.
the 6 million is tibetan NOT han, han population over there is ranging from 8-15millions now

s002wjh

Country flag
if you read ethnic minioirty law in china, which i doubt you did. miniority can have more than 1 child vs han can only have 1

s002wjh

Country flag
it's your reply that is pure BS ! ( although nothing personal against you )

hereunder i have a list of SCHOLARLY ARTICLES delineating the economic exclusion of uyghurs,
economic exclusion of uyghurs - Google Scholar

another list of SCHOLARLY ARTICLES delineating the economic explusion of tibetans,
economic exclusion of tibetans - Google Scholar

and there's a third list of articles from credible sources for the exclusion of all indigenous peoples - too many to list here ...the first two should be bad enough dont you think

i can bet my last million dollars that every single indian person on this forum ( and anywhere else ) is grateful no end that they were not born a jew in nazi germany or even worse, an ethnic minority in todays' "peoples" republic of china ! :toilet:
and there are article indicated otherwise. is your source from uyghurs right group or independent source. its the same with tibet, they want the same job as han, then they need to have teh same skill set as han, which including chinese, college degree etc. and yet they said china is killing their culture by ask them to study chinese, and went into religion rather sttudy for college. ive been to tibet before, most tibetan can't write proper chinese or has a good degree. if you are in the US, do you think an employer looking for high skill worker would hire one don't know english, and don't have college degree or comparable skill set. :)

most indian never went to china + their bias against china, obivous they felt PRC treat their miniorit bad. but i have been to tibet + yunna which has about 30+ ethnic miniority, saw their culutre etc.

i suggest go read some chinese ethnic miniority law 1st rather than provide bias opinion. china oppress of tibet/uyhur for different reason, not because they are ethnic miniority. one is religion worship of dalilama+independence/ the other is outright independence. how often do you heard story on oppression on other ethnic miniority in china. if han chinese do the same they will crush down on them too, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ETHNIC MINIORITY. its about the things they want it, independence is a NO NO topic for china

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles