Japanese may sell sea rescue aircraft US-2 to India

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The most unique feature of this aircraft is it's ability to cruise at extremely low speeds(as low as 100kmph)This is possible due to the boundary layer control device this amphibian utlilizes, also it has a n outstanding ability to land in as less as 330mtrs of clear water while being able to take off in 280mtrs.

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The US-2 would be very effective as a transport aircraft for MARCOs along the lines of C-130Js for Para Commandos. Apart from that, the US-2 would be an excellent logistics supporter for far flung islands of India (I never knew we had more than 1,700 islands!). As most of our islands are uninhabited, quick deployment of naval units and special forces is needed just in case we have a brush with more non-state actors. And even in case of a conflict, the US-2 would prove to be extremely effective as a transporter for the Navy.

However I have my reservations considering that Russia can offer Beriev Be-200 for half its cost (both operational and logistical).

Sancho

However I have my reservations considering that Russia can offer Beriev Be-200 for half its cost (both operational and logistical).
Costs could be lowered if MoD would combine the competitions to one bigger order. Besides IN, ICG and even IAF are searching for amphibious aircrafts and even if they might need slightly different equipment, the baseline capabilities of the aircraft would always be the same, so why not simply choose one for all?

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
The US-2 would be very effective as a transport aircraft for MARCOs along the lines of C-130Js for Para Commandos. Apart from that, the US-2 would be an excellent logistics supporter for far flung islands of India (I never knew we had more than 1,700 islands!). As most of our islands are uninhabited, quick deployment of naval units and special forces is needed just in case we have a brush with more non-state actors. And even in case of a conflict, the US-2 would prove to be extremely effective as a transporter for the Navy.

I would rather India buy the aircraft that meets it's operational needs than go for the cheaper one. Also, Russia has not really delivered on it's promises lately - so, low price or not, the quality and timeliness should matter.
I personally like the SS-3 over the others.

redragon

Country flag
I have a feeling that Japanese is more countable than Russian, in terms of being man of his words

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I have a feeling that Japanese is more countable than Russian, in terms of being man of his words
Based on personal experience, the Japanese are the most honest and reliable in delivering what they committed in business. Just for comparison, South Koreans, at east those I dealt with first hand, are not as trust worthy and reliable as their Japanese counterparts.

noob101

The Walkman was not innovative ? :D
Their companies like Sony, Cannon Honda are one of the most innovative in the world !

btw 'Jap' is apparently a racial slur (we're not aware of it)
I have to agree with agentperry, Japanese aren't good inventors they take existing things and make them excellent before the wwii and after... for example, lets take what you said they Invented the walkman , the walkman is just a extention of the audio tape, they took the audio tape and made a better way for it to be used... you really should look at history rather going on your gut feeling

noob101

Based on personal experience, the Japanese are the most honest and reliable in delivering what they committed in business. Just for comparison, South Koreans, at east those I dealt with first hand, are not as trust worthy and reliable as their Japanese counterparts.
dude take your racist statements some where else!

noob101

What is racist about that post, mate?
implying that a whole nation of people are not trust worthy because someone had some "bad experiences" with a limited group of individuals, that is racist.

Oracle

implying that a whole nation of people are not trust worthy because someone had some "bad experiences" with a limited group of individuals, that is racist.
Did you understand his post? He said South Koreans, at east those he dealt with. Dealt with. He did not say like 'All South Koreans.....'. It was a personal experience, which he wanted to share.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You're overreacting without fully understanding my statement.

If you only cared to read closely my post you would have discovered that I qualified my reference to South Koreans as "at east those I dealt with first hand." I don't know how I can convey my personal experience without mentioning the nationality of the South Koreans that I came across with in the course of business since I am comparing it with the Japanese that I have also dealt with...

Last edited:

noob101

Did you understand his post? He said South Koreans, at east those he dealt with. Dealt with. He did not say like 'All South Koreans.....'. It was a personal experience, which he wanted to share.
yeah yeah... usually people who can't defend themselves nit pick small details and technicalities.... if you are under some illusion that he was saying something other than South Koreans are not trustworthy then you are wrong my friend.....

Oracle

yeah yeah... usually people who can't defend themselves nit pick small details and technicalities.... if you are under some illusion that he was saying something other than South Koreans are not trustworthy then you are wrong my friend.....
If that rocks your boat, sail away. You are the learned one, we all look upto.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Anyway, let us not belabor under this really benign matter, what is important is that the Japanese have chosen India as the first country to offer their high tech military wares, which is very significant.

noob101

You're overreacting without fully understanding my statement.

If you only cared to read closely my post you would have discovered that I qualified my reference to South Koreans as "at east those I dealt with first hand." I don't know how can convey my personal experience without mentioning the nationality of the South Koreans that I came across with in the course of business...
Really I don't care I have read most of your previous posts I know you are a very very biased person and no amount of reasonable argument can change your mind on anything, I have argued with you a lot before and so I know its a waste of time to reply to you..... actually I am not surprised that you made such a comment!

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Really I don't care I have read most of your previous posts I know you are a very very biased person and no amount of reasonable argument can change your mind on anything, I have argued with you a lot before and so I know its a waste of time to reply to you..... actually I am not surprised that you made such a comment!

Must you always try to undermine every post I make? That's too much honor which based on my humble background I really don't think I deserve... :lol:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Anyway, let us not belabor under this really benign matter, what is important is that theaJpanese have chosen India as the first country to offer their high tech military wares, which is very significant.
That's very true, buddy. So much so that their companies have started considering Tibet as our state. :D

But jokes apart, Japanese collaboration and an expansion of global supply chain with Japan, South Korea, possibly ASEAN with a mix from Russia, France and Israel would ensure that while we move towards a "Universal parts commonality" pattern for most of our goods (maybe of different companies and countries but share a lot of commonality), but also ensure that no player has too much political dominance over the buyer like in Cold War days.

You guys have the Su-30MKM base which is common to what we operate. So we could even consider a stock-of-parts inventory assured in south India where Malaysian air force personnel can have an assured supply from instead of waiting for it to come from Russia all the way. So we expand our supply chain.

The sam goes for Japanese offer. While the ShinMayawa US-2 is only being exported now, starting with us Indians we could order a dozen of them for our Navy and create an effective supply chain with Japanese. Maybe you Malaysians and other southeast countries such as your neighbors can also acquire these for your navies. This would ensure that the unit cost of the product comes down, there's a wide distribution of suppliers of parts so that there's no political domination on customer countries.

We will have to take certain drastic measures at political level for purchases like this if we have to be careful of a certain someone rising "peacefully".

Iamanidiot

Japanese are very inflexible and to some extent bureacratic that what I got in my personal interaction with them

mayfair

Japanese are very inflexible and to some extent bureacratic that what I got in my personal interaction with them
They are sticklers for protocol and do not like to deviate from that. Perhaps that's what makes them come across as rigid.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles