Japan starts to assemble full scale ATD-X

Country flag
japan are good with electronic/automobile, but when come to fighter jet or even civilian jet they lack the experience/knowledge compare to europe, US, russia, even china. Japan pretty much always at the end ask for US help regarding their jets. however japan has the advantage of access US technology and help from US.
How are they making a 6th gen plane with no experience? USA will not
give away tech they want to sell for F-35?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Mitsubishi ATD-X Program is started since 2000..

p2prada

After the ATD-X Japan will start on a multirole fifth generation aircraft in the F-35 category, or should I say Typhoon class. This is well into the next decade. They are not planning for a 6th gen equivalent. No one is.

Perhaps something like X-47B, Neuron or AURA for 6th gen needs.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Mitsubishi ATD-X Program is started since 2000..

It will still be complete before AMCA flies. Take my word for it. I trust Japanese reports saying "will build" more than our reports saying "may do".

p2prada

It will still be complete before AMCA flies. Take my word for it. I trust Japanese reports saying "will build" more than our reports saying "may do".
They will have their first AMCA equivalent fighter flying after AMCA is inducted though. This is just a tech demonstrator. As it stands today, India's military aerospace tech is ahead of Japan's.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The targeted first flight is on 2014..

jatkshatriya

really looking forward to this. India should try and develop joint research relations with Japan. The Japs are damn good with the word " Technology".

lcatejas

Any How after knowing that japs are assembling a fighter jet... chiniyon ki to waise hi phut gayi ... now they will be thinking how to get copy of that jet...

arya

Country flag
well we can use them but the thing should not come openly

s002wjh

Country flag
How are they making a 6th gen plane with no experience? USA will not
give away tech they want to sell for F-35?
they have to ask some help from US company lockheed for example. few years ago, my friend who work at lockheed mention they constantly have japanese vistor to their build and other areas. japan doesn;t have experience designing modern fighter jet, so when they encounter issues, they have to ask for outside help on how to.

the model look like stealth F15. anyway, ill wait till they show a prototype before comment on japan can design a good jet or not. Japan really don't have much expereience in this area.

Last edited:
Country flag
they have to ask some help from US company lockheed for example. few years ago, my friend who work at lockheed mention they constantly have japanese vistor to their build and other areas. japan doesn;t have experience designing modern fighter jet, so when they encounter issues, they have to ask for outside help on how to.

the model look like stealth F15. anyway, ill wait till they show a prototype before comment on japan can design a good jet or not. Japan really don't have much expereience in this area.
I doubt USA will give away any corporate secrets to build this japanese plane.

trackwhack

The F-35 is fail. Japan knows that. They will have this plane on serial production by 2017 if they want to. Its basically a decision that they must take that will no doubt piss the US off. And it will be a damn good plane. Somewhere is the video he says the RCS is smaller than a bird and larger than an insect. I'd like to see the J20 or the PAKFA achieve numbers anywhere close albeit that these planes are twice the size.

s002wjh

Country flag
I doubt USA will give away any corporate secrets to build this japanese plane.
not secret, consultant. many ally country hire boeing, lockheed for consultant job when they ecounter diffculties during their project.

p2prada

The F-35 is fail.
Huh! No.

Somewhere is the video he says the RCS is smaller than a bird and larger than an insect. I'd like to see the J20 or the PAKFA achieve numbers anywhere close albeit that these planes are twice the size.
Quite the same for PAKFA as well. F-22 is insect sized while F-35 is bird sized. PAKFA comes in between.

s002wjh

Country flag
The F-35 is fail. Japan knows that. They will have this plane on serial production by 2017 if they want to. Its basically a decision that they must take that will no doubt piss the US off. And it will be a damn good plane. Somewhere is the video he says the RCS is smaller than a bird and larger than an insect. I'd like to see the J20 or the PAKFA achieve numbers anywhere close albeit that these planes are twice the size.
we haven't even seen this jets. i don't know where you get the info it will be a damn good plane. base on japan experience/industry on fighter jet design, test etc etc, they lack far behind from US, europe, behind russia/china. they pretty much import their jet from US. if you want prove something show the link.

trackwhack

Huh! No.

Quite the same for PAKFA as well. F-22 is insect sized while F-35 is bird sized. PAKFA comes in between.
Why would the Japanese pay $150million per plane for an F35 when they can probably build 5 ATDX for the same cost, especially if it can outrun, outgun and outfight the F35? The Americans cannot refuse to sell the munitions that the F 35 have which mostly will be used on the ATDX

I cannot see how the F35 will ever be successful even with the USAF and USN but only time will tell.

Country flag
not secret, consultant. many ally country hire boeing, lockheed for consultant job when they ecounter diffculties during their project.
why will they teach Japan something that is their bread and butter?
India also hired Consultants from USA for atleast 5 years+ for the
LCA and nothing spectacular happened plane engine is still in question.

s002wjh

Country flag
why will they teach Japan something that is their bread and butter?
India also hired Consultants from USA for atleast 5 years+ for the
LCA and nothing spectacular happened plane engine is still in question.
they wont sell the secret but their knowledge/experience can be bought, as long as US government allow it. this is true for many ally nations. dont confuse with selling technology vs consulant. now i don't know much about LCA so i don't know. but i know many ally foreign come to US and hire these consultant to solve their issues.

p2prada

Why would the Japanese pay $150million per plane for an F35 when they can probably build 5 ATDX for the same cost, especially if it can outrun, outgun and outfight the F35? The Americans cannot refuse to sell the munitions that the F 35 have which mostly will be used on the ATDX

I cannot see how the F35 will ever be successful even with the USAF and USN but only time will tell.
As the name suggests, ATDX is an Advanced Technology Demonstrator. It won't be outrunning, outgunning or outflying anything.

I am willing to bet the ATDX will cost half a billion each. :p They have the knack of doubling the rate of an aircraft.

trackwhack

As the name suggests, ATDX is an Advanced Technology Demonstrator. It won't be outrunning, outgunning or outflying anything.

I am willing to bet the ATDX will cost half a billion each. :p They have the knack of doubling the rate of an aircraft.

How difficult will it be to outrun a plane with a sub 1000 mile range and a subsonic top speed

How difficult is it to outgun a plane if you have similar BVRAAM capability and better stealth specs. I am not going to comment on F 35's within visual range capabilities.

How difficult is it to outfly a single engine underpowered sloth of a plane, when the ATDX is based on twin engine 3D thrust vectoring.

I cannot comment on costs, but if the Japanese car industry or any heavy industry is a lead, it would be a fifth of the price os anything American. Also the F35 is a plane that even the US is yet to be totally convinced on.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles