Japan Mulls F-35 Purchase As Next Main Fighter Jet

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Well they are not doing it one bit considering that they have given in too much to the US demands.

Honestly I'd prefer an aggressive Japan against China especially since our fellow Indians are too brainwashed to get a right government to counter our border threats.
Is there guilt at work? Or is it that the nuclear disaster left very deep wounds in the Japanese psyche that they fear being the Samurais again.
Japans stands on bisection today. From here, they either shed the horrors of past and free themselves of whatever self imposed constraints. Or they stick to the direction they faced, post WW II, which till recently may not have been useless either.
I would also favor a reformed Japan as they've been on the silent critic mode for too long. An apt case for a fresh breeze of nationalism. It isn't a negative idea. Like every other concept it has its areas/situations of good use.
But I don't see how an aggressive Japan could neutralize the threats we have from China.

Regards,
Virendra

noob101

Is there guilt at work? Or is it that the nuclear disaster left very deep wounds in the Japanese psyche that they fear being the Samurais again.
Japans stands on bisection today. From here, they either shed the horrors of past and free themselves of whatever self imposed constraints. Or they stick to the direction they faced, post WW II, which till recently may not have been useless either.
I would also favor a reformed Japan as they've been on the silent critic mode for too long. An apt case for a fresh breeze of nationalism. It isn't a negative idea. Like every other concept it has its areas/situations of good use.
But I don't see how an aggressive Japan could neutralize the threats we have from China.

Regards,
Virendra
There is a very strong anti war feeling in Japan even now, but I think that people in the government have realized that they can get away with very little defense expenditure if they just let the US take care of them, the amount of forces that the US has dedicated to Japan is huge there is now way that the Japanese would be able to have forces like that...again like my previous post i ask the same question... when Japan receives so much form the US for its defense why would they want to change? The Americans seem to be more than happy to provide what ever they need

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I was perplexed when I read that Japanese PM asked MMS "How are you handling the Chinese aggression?"
It exposes the unprepared and clueless state Japanese are in and seem to have been for some time now.
Moreover, pitting it against the 'once upon a time' character of Japan in World War II and decades before, it sounds astonishing.
I certainly wish that the Japs find where their aggression is leaking out. They literally went from one extreme to the other.
Good luck with your futuristic purchase. Don't know what else to call an F-35 buyout :heh:
Any Japanese members here?

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution:

"ARTICLE 9. Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as" a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes. (2) To accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of belligerency of the state will not be recognized."

This is the basis of Japanese international relations and dependency on the US for diplomatic and military protection. And in Japan this "peace provision" is very popular. Even the popular PM, Koizumi, was not able to amend it.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution:

"ARTICLE 9. Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as" a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes. (2) To accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of belligerency of the state will not be recognized."

This is the basis of Japanese international relations and dependency on the US for diplomatic and military protection. And in Japan this "peace provision" is very popular. Even the popular PM, Koizumi, was not able to amend it.
Well that's perhaps the reason why no PM after Koizumi managed to complete term as well. :lol: The man was obsessed with pleasing USA beyond reason.

Article 9 states that they will not invade; it never said they won't retaliate. And looking at SCS and geopolitical situation, I doubt the Japanese would ever attack first.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I was perplexed when I read that Japanese PM asked MMS "How are you handling the Chinese aggression?"
:rotfl:!! पूछा भी तो किससे?! MMS! This is too much! :lol:

It exposes the unprepared and clueless state Japanese are in and seem to have been for some time now.
That is because their military is rusting for the last 60 years. They have not taken part in a single combat mission. Providing disaster relief is very different from taking on full-blown wars or even military conflicts of smaller proportions. From what I make out of Japanese PM's question, he meant in terms of how our Army manages PLA aggression in the frontline. Because honestly, from political perspective, nothing is being done and it is abundantly visible.

Moreover, pitting it against the 'once upon a time' character of Japan in World War II and decades before, it sounds astonishing.
That's why I can't stop laughing. Imagine what would Hideki Tojo think if he was able to see this.

I certainly wish that the Japs find where their aggression is leaking out. They literally went from one extreme to the other.
The nukes. It shocked them into becoming another Ashoka. Wonder when would they renounce Article 9. It is proving to be a threat to their national security.

Good luck with your futuristic purchase. Don't know what else to call an F-35 buyout :heh:
Any Japanese members here?
There's one on the Ind. Def site. I doubt Japanese would be too keen on defense discussion. We do it because we live in such a hostile environment from all sides. They really don't have to think so much (having such a high standard of living and having almost no enemies for 60 years).

niharjhatn

:rotfl:!! पूछा भी तो किससे?! MMS! This is too much! :lol:
LOL what did the eminent MMS say... we deal with Chinese aggression by pretending it doesn't happen, and occasionally "strongly condemn" their actions?? :D

There's one on the Ind. Def site. I doubt Japanese would be too keen on defense discussion. We do it because we live in such a hostile environment from all sides. They really don't have to think so much (having such a high standard of living and having almost no enemies for 60 years).
As F Scott Fitzgerald said "...I was tempted to laugh whenever he opened his mouth. The transition from libertine to prig was so complete"

Same can be said of Japan... the transition has been astonishing to say the least.

Reactions: sob

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
They really don't have to think so much (having such a high standard of living and having almost no enemies for 60 years).
Which is changing now. China has crept up their blood pressure. It is very costly to realize a threat way too late. I don't think they have realized it fully yet.
More than the Government, it seems that the general public needs to wake up. Only when they support a more aggressive government, will the situation improve. Perhaps they think that if they don't show their teeth, nobody will come to rip them apart. Well, what about the Chinese who're picking them up gradually like small and consistent knife cuts? They'll bleed to death and won't even realize.

p2prada

So Japan wants to buy F35s to counter China's "next generation JF-17"? Really?

Who writes this nonsense?
The author is referring to their yet unknown fifth generation fighter. The J-17 or more commonly known as J-xx is yet to be given an official designation as the J-20 has been.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Which is changing now. China has crept up their blood pressure. It is very costly to realize a threat way too late. I don't think they have realized it fully yet.
More than the Government, it seems that the general public needs to wake up. Only when they support a more aggressive government, will the situation improve. Perhaps they think that if they don't show their teeth, nobody will come to rip them apart. Well, what about the Chinese who're picking them up gradually like small and consistent knife cuts? They'll bleed to death and won't even realize.
O you need to see their people's aggression mate. They are calm but they do get aggressive big time. The problem is not their government either. It is their Constitution. Their post-WW2 constitution is a shyte. But I can vouch one thing for sure; Japanese will respond to China in a much better way even with this constitution in case of war, than our slave and treacherous government will. In our country, to secure a success against the dragon would mean that the tri-services would have to kick this government out till the hypothetical war is over, before going to fight the Dragon. Otherwise, we don't stand a chance. Unless of course, Modi becomes the PM.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The author is referring to their yet unknown fifth generation fighter. The J-17 or more commonly known as J-xx is yet to be given an official designation as the J-20 has been.
The F-35 has a lot of annoyed people even in Western countries despite all the features that LM says. Still imperfect IFF, poor aerodynamics and maneuverability, slow speed etc are some of the factors that are repeatedly highlight that LM has claimed it has overcome and doesn't need anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles