Jamaat-e-Islami party clash with police over arrest of their leaders for war crimes

Galaxy

Country flag
Jamaat-e-Islami party clash with police over arrest of their leaders for war crimes

Police in Bangladesh have fired rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse supporters of an Islamist party.

Members of the Jamaat-e-Islami party were protesting against the arrest of their leaders on war crimes charges.

The crimes were allegedly committed during the country's liberation war from Pakistan in 1971. All five leaders deny the accusations.

Officials said at least 50 people, including dozens of police officers, were injured in the clashes.

It was the first major clash between protesters and security forces since the Awami League-led coalition came to power in January 2009.

The protest was part of a country-wide agitation by Jamaat-e-Islami - the country's largest Islamist party - against the continued detention of their five senior leaders on war crimes charges.

"The protesters suddenly turned violent. They started throwing stones at our officers. Around 46 police officers were injured and many vehicles were set on fire," police spokesman Habibur Rahman told the BBC.

He said that about 120 Jamaat-e-Islami activists, including three senior leaders, had been arrested in connection with the violence in the capital Dhaka.

But a leader of the Jamaat-e-Islami denied the police version of events.

"We were protesting in a peaceful way but the police suddenly started taking tough action," Dr Shafiqur Rahman, a senior leader of the Jamaat-e-Islami, told the BBC.

"We never believe in this type of violence. It was a clear suppression of our right to protest."

Violence was reported in other protests by supporters of Jamaat-e-Islami in the southern port city of Chittagong and in other areas of Bangladesh.

East Pakistan became Bangladesh 40 years ago, after a bloody battle for independence.

Official figures estimate that more than three million people were killed and thousands of women raped when West Pakistan sent in its army to stop the independence movement.

Last year, the Bangladeshi government set up an International Crimes Tribunal in Dhaka - to try those Bangladeshis accused of collaborating with Pakistani forces and committing atrocities.

So far, seven people, including two from the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and five from Jamaat-e-Islami party have been arrested. One of the BNP leaders has been given bail.

The two opposition parties accuse the government of carrying out a vendetta. They have also denounced the tribunal as a political show trial.

BBC News - Bangladesh police clash with Islamist party supporters

A.V.

Yet another country which has all the signs to be gripped by radical islam , bad times TURKEY first and then bangladesh sad to see this state of affairs

agentperry

after all prime minister shri manmohan singh wasnt wrong when he commented upon JI influence over BD population. sheikh hasina govt should be kept in power for atleast 5-10 years more from now to make India-bd chuddi buddy and break pearl of strings in east

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
after all prime minister shri manmohan singh wasnt wrong when he commented upon JI influence over BD population. sheikh hasina govt should be kept in power for atleast 5-10 years more from now to make India-bd chuddi buddy and break pearl of strings in east
That would be possible in case of Bangladesh, our aim should not be to make them a client rather self dependent(with pro-India leanings), we won't be in a position to keep client states for another 25 years keeping Khalida Zia out of power should be the focus though.

Galaxy

Country flag
Don't know why, But I really feel that Bangladesh should be part of Pakistan.

Bangladesh can never become India's friend. Their mentality is totally different. They are burden on India.

If BD never separated form Pakistan, Then Today, we don't have to face Millions of Illegal Bangladeshi. Illegal immigrants happens with friendly countries only.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
What?
After all the hard work of 1971 you still want to be surrounded by Pakistan?
Do you think Bangladeshi think like that ? 99% Bangladeshi hates India. They are threat. They don't have capability, so risk is less. But I am telling you, they will surely try some insurgence in N-E states in future.

Not being our friend is not in their interest, if these guys think J-20s would reach Dhaka before the Su-30s they are mistaken, apart from the Islamic parties(fanatic) everyone understands this in Bangladesh(part of the reason they are pissed).
I agree completely, But whenever i see those Illegal Bangladeshi in India working as maid, rickshaws and then I see some Bangladeshi saying, We will claim part of Assam and WB later. I feel they are burden.

agentperry

BD could have been an all weather friend of India if indira gandhi had a bit more determinant. she ordered Indian troops to vacate BD in hurry so as not to let Indian army pictured as occupational army. if a strong pro-india govt would have been placed with all anti-India elements eliminated from bd soil, today India and bd would have been like canada and usa.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Do you think Bangladeshi think like that ? 99% Bangladeshi hates India. They are threat. They don't have capability, so risk is less. But I am telling you, they will surely try some insurgence in N-E states in future.
Small country syndrome. Ever visited Bhutanese forums?
You'd think they are our enemy number one lol.

I agree completely, But whenever i see those Illegal Bangladeshi in India working as maid, rickshaws and then I see some Bangladeshi saying, We will claim part of Assam and WB later. I feel they are burden.
Small country syndrome again.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So the Muslim extremists feel that BD should have been with Pakistan?

BD is no threat to India.

But some Bangladeshis, mostly the BNP and Jamaait variety feel they are on the threshold of being a superpower and an economic powerhouse.

They also feel that within the decade, with their infiltration, NE India will become Bangladesh.

They also feel that they are a great strategic threat to India.

Too much of consuming that pain killing hallucinatory drug they smuggle from India?

Some Indians feel they are merely 'pesky twerps'!!

Last edited:

agentperry

sabko apni dukaan chalani hai.
in political science the easiest way to gain power is to spread hate and target a minority or external power. set superficial targets and capability and make others believe that country wil rise once they get into power. same formula applied universally

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles