Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

mayfair

I have a feeling that the ban WILL be unturned, all steps in that direction are being taken slowly and firmly. EJ agenda behind the ban is clearly visible.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@Razor are you in TN currently? If you are, what's current update? unlike last year, news sites are awfully quiet on the issue.
Yes, I'm in Chennai only, and as you said the news media is more silent. But I'm gettting the feel that there is an increase in support from public which is a good thing, though supporters are still not in majority, I believe.

Also in your post #101 above, you know, the fault is ours and we should in fact learn from the Malaysian woman.
See post #85 on pg5 of this thread where surprisingly I have used the same example of a girl saying "Oh so barbaric" without a single thought :)

DingDong

Country flag
If a vast majority in TN support Jallikattu then, people must ignore the court order, people must teach the judiciary what happens when an institution looses face in public for being inconsistent.

I wonder why do the same "Your Honors" drag their feet on issues like "Muharram self-mutilation" or "Mass killing of Animals on Bakr-Eid".

Krusty

Country flag
If a vast majority in TN support Jallikattu then, people must ignore the court order, people must teach the judiciary what happens when an institution looses face in public for being inconsistent.

I wonder why do the same "Your Honors" drag their feet on issues like "Muharram self-mutilation" or "Mass killing of Animals on Bakr-Eid".
Let's face it, Hindus aren't the same as Muslims when it comes to fanaticism. If a judge rules against Qurbani, he will either lost his head or be blown to bits. There will be no shortage of Muslims ready to kill him for Allah. All else be damned. One fatwa is all it takes.. what happened to Salman Rushdie? Can you imagine the same thing happening in the Hindu community?

DingDong

Country flag
Let's face it, Hindus aren't the same as Muslims when it comes to fanaticism. If a judge rules against Qurbani, he will either lost his head or be blown to bits. There will be no shortage of Muslims ready to kill him for Allah. All else be damned. One fatwa is all it takes.. what happened to Salman Rushdie? Can you imagine the same thing happening in the Hindu community?
Not our burden to bear, if the judge cannot pronounce a balanced verdict, then the judge must resign. If the courts do not deliver justice, people must violate the order.

Krusty

Country flag
if the judge cannot pronounce a balanced verdict, then the judge must resign.
That's the problem. How is 'balanced' and 'right' defined? They have failed to give verdicts so far to support local traditions instead caved in to western NGO's. Did they resign? No. what can be done next? The judiciary won't save us. Constitution is a joke in this context. At what point does it start becoming our problem? And what do we intend to do about it when we realise it's our burden to carry. Or are we planning to say it's not our problem forever and wait for the problem to sort itself out?

Man made rules including the constitution can be bent/broken by some people/groups. Some can be taken advantage of. They are by no means perfect.
Last year, in a few villages, the people just let the bulls run claiming they escaped from the harness and proceeded to chase them. Apparently the police tried to retaliate.

Coming back to the point, the courts have failed to deliver justice. I'm just asking what is the next logical step.

Krusty

Country flag
@Razor
What's the deal with Pongal being declared a holiday? Suddenly getting memes. What happened ??o_O

Krusty

Country flag
I have a feeling that the ban WILL be unturned, all steps in that direction are being taken slowly and firmly. EJ agenda behind the ban is clearly visible.
Not again... at what point does will the situation be considered as getting out of hand?

Krusty

Country flag
Yes, I'm in Chennai only, and as you said the news media is more silent. But I'm gettting the feel that there is an increase in support from public which is a good thing, though supporters are still not in majority, I believe.

Also in your post #101 above, you know, the fault is ours and we should in fact learn from the Malaysian woman.
See post #85 on pg5 of this thread where surprisingly I have used the same example of a girl saying "Oh so barbaric" without a single thought :)
Support was there always from most Tamils. It didn't matter. And Tamils weren't too active on social networks too.

Let's see what happens.

Akshay_Fenix

All our past traditions that we have been following for 8 fucking thousand years are on a hit list for these NGOs, Jallikattu is just the start.

For the people belonging to Tamil Nadu, I say fuck what the sharia court says and do what you want. Do not bend the knee cause if you do these NGOs will move on to their next target (another Hindu tradition).

Fuck the Sharia Court. Why should we follow someones orders who has not been elected by us(Indians). These sold out judges elect themselves.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@Razor
What's the deal with Pongal being declared a holiday? Suddenly getting memes. What happened ??o_O
Afaik the idiots in the govt. at the centre (ie BJP) tried to show the northie attitude by trying to declare Pongal as an RH (Restricted Holiday)
For decades Pongal has been a CH (Closed/Compulsory Holiday); the move from Centre is obviously a try to reduce importance of Pongal.
But apparently after protests from TN GOV the centre has given in and pongal is now back to CH list.

Krusty

Country flag
All our past traditions that we have been following for 8 fucking thousand years are on a hit list for these NGOs, Jallikattu is just the start.

For the people belonging to Tamil Nadu, I say fuck what the sharia court says and do what you want. Do not bend the knee cause if you do these NGOs will move on to their next target (another Hindu tradition).

Fuck the Sharia Court. Why should we follow someones orders who has not been elected by us(Indians). These sold out judges elect themselves.
Last year, in a few villages, the people just let the bulls run claiming they escaped from the harness and proceeded to chase them. Apparently the police tried to retaliate.
There were scuffle with the police in multiple villages last year because the people let the bulls run anyway. This is what we have been reduced to. NGOs have engineered a situation we're our government uses our policemen to enforce prohibition of our traditional event. Absolute shame.

mayfair

Not again... at what point does will the situation be considered as getting out of hand?
My friend, situation got out of hand long ago. Surely, you are aware the unchecked and unbridled authority that the Church has enjoyed in TN all these years, including recent elections. Native Tamil traditions were trampled with or subsumed into a new narrative where everything originated with Christ.

It's a long road back to redemption- first you need to cut to size the EJs on steroids by restricting their funding, then slowly and steadily their social structures and setups have to be prised open from their death grip. Public debate on Jalikattu ban is the first step, ordinance the next and finally GoI and/or SC itself reversing the ridiculous and ill-informed decision, the next step to getting the situation back in hand.

A multi-pronged strategy is required and what is truly required is for the people of Madurai-Theni region to mobilise and defy these ridiculous agendas and hold Jalikattu year after year.

Krusty

Country flag
just returned from lunch with a colleague. He's a Muslim. Now he is against jallikattu ban and the Pongal fiasco. And he is linking this atrocity of the center/SC to beef ban saying they are out to entirely destroy our culture and proceeded to bash BJP and their destructive agenda. Saying we should unite and vote them out of power before they destroy us.

What in the actual hell?! It's like, absolutely everyone is against us.

As they say, with friends like you who needs enemies ?

mayfair

just returned from lunch with a colleague. He's a Muslim. ...proceeded to bash BJP and their destructive agenda. Saying we should unite and vote them out of power before they destroy us..
You should have smiled and patted his head and made a few sympathetic voices. Surely you were not surprised by that?

Krusty

Country flag
You should have smiled and patted his head and made a few sympathetic voices. Surely you were not surprised by that?
I wasn't surprised at all. What else could I say? Just nodded and didn't prolong the conversation with my own views. Just kept mum. Just contemplating how dire the situation is.

A multi-pronged strategy is required and what is truly required is for the people of Madurai-Theni region to mobilise and defy these ridiculous
There will be another group to start the tamilians defying the northern states issue and link it to separatism. I myself was called a commie, separatist, mullah and a pakistani with a fake account right here on DFI by multiple senior members Just for saying learning Hindi should be your choice.

Last edited:

mayfair

I wasn't surprised at all. What else could I say? Just nodded and didn't prolong the conversation with my own views. Just kept mum.
I usually reply sarcastically and I find the many of them are so pea-brained that they fail to grasp their own chaddi utaaroing. I recall a similar conversation with a "peaceful" co-worker (This was in Bangalore many years ago). I nodded sympathetically and remarked that it was a travesty that Toddy was being banned in some places (had no effing idea if this were true or not) and how it was an affront to local culture. You can guess the reaction :biggrin2:

There will be another group to start the tamilians defying the northern states issue. I myself was called a commie, separatist, mullah and a pakistani with a fake account right here on DFI by multiple senior members because of my views on Hindi and its status as the national language.
No one in their right mind will think like this. "Right mind" being the key word here. I myself have disabused many a family and friend in the "Hindi heartland" about branding anyone with reservations about Hindi as a "commie, separatist, mullah and a pakistani" as you put it. But let me tell you, I have also had the misfortune of coming across some very very parochial folks from TN and disabused them from many such notions as well.

Sample this gem- "I don't like this place, it's full of faareigners, naarth Indians" [sic]

This was a Tamizh in bleeding Bangalore!!! This was around the heated Cauvery agitation in Jan/Feb 2007

My response (tried to act innocent and genuinely concerned) was along the lines of "How was the experience when speaking in Tamil around Kannada Rakshana Vedike activists"

Silence was golden :biggrin2:

Akshay_Fenix

just returned from lunch with a colleague. He's a Muslim. Now he is against jallikattu ban and the Pongal fiasco. And he is linking this atrocity of the center/SC to beef ban saying they are out to entirely destroy our culture and proceeded to bash BJP and their destructive agenda. Saying we should unite and vote them out of power before they destroy us.

What in the actual hell?! It's like, absolutely everyone is against us.

As they say, with friends like you who needs enemies ?
These chaps are fed with propaganda through social media apps like facebook, whatsapp.
Herd mentality

Krusty

Country flag
I usually reply sarcastically and I find the many of them are so pea-brained that they fail to grasp their own chaddi utaaroing. I recall a similar conversation with a "peaceful" co-worker (This was in Bangalore many years ago). I nodded sympathetically and remarked that it was a travesty that Toddy was being banned in some places (had no effing idea if this were true or not) and how it was an affront to local culture. You can guess the reaction :biggrin2:

No one in their right mind will think like this. "Right mind" being the key word here. I myself have disabused many a family and friend in the "Hindi heartland" about branding anyone with reservations about Hindi as a "commie, separatist, mullah and a pakistani" as you put it. But let me tell you, I have also had the misfortune of coming across some very very parochial folks from TN and disabused them from many such notions as well.

Sample this gem- "I don't like this place, it's full of faareigners, naarth Indians" [sic]

This was a Tamizh in bleeding Bangalore!!! This was around the heated Cauvery agitation in Jan/Feb 2007

My response (tried to act innocent and genuinely concerned) was along the lines of "How was the experience when speaking in Tamil around Kannada Rakshana Vedike activists"

Silence was golden :biggrin2:
I agree. I'm saying there are too many dumb people on every level,in every state. but my point is, those who called me names on this forum are very sensible folks and some among them are still very well respected on DFI. I will not list them down now but the only one who spoke sense and held a balanced view was @nuvnitkundu . What's to be taken away from here is if this is how people who are educated and sensible handle such sensitive issues, how will the naive, dumb and ignorant majority handle the same?

mayfair

I agree. I'm saying there are too many dumb people on every level,in every state. but my point is, those who called me names on this forum are very sensible folks and some among them were very well respected. I will not list them down now but the only one who spoke sense and held a balanced view was @nuvnitkundu . What's to be taken away from here is if this is how people who are educated and sensible handle such sensitive issues, how will the naive, dumb and ignorant majority handle the same?
I think you'll find that many of those whom you deride as "dumb ignorant majority" can be far more sensible about these things. Most of the noises about anti-Hindi, anti-Tamil etc. that I have come across, have been from the so-called padha-likha "sensible" cohort. Being literate != Educated and sensible.

Internet is the worst place to infer one's views about a group of people. It's often remarked and not without reason that "Give a person a user name and he/she turns into an a***hole"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles