Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
https://realitycheck.wordpress.com/2008/01/15/on-jallikattu/

Top four reasons why Jallikattu must be encouraged.

1. Jallikattu is not only an ancient Tamil sport, it also has hindu religious significance.

There is strong sentiment amoung the people that a year without Jallikattu will bring famine, cholera, and other disease to that area. Now, this might get the super-scientific atheist types worked up, still this religious folk sentiment has to be respected. This is similar to the Ram Sethu issue, where you balance economic benefits against religious sentiment. In this case, you balance animal rights concerns against religious sentiment. In both cases the secular state must tread carefully. I am disappointed the BJP has not taken a strong stand on this issue, could be presumably due to their lack of familiarity.

2. It is cruelty to .. humans.

The bull is almost never hurt, leave alone killed. The issues raised by the Blue Cross can be addressed by regulation. The cruelty to humans part is moot, because it is a voluntary sport like boxing and car racing. Can facing Shaun Tait at Perth be construed to be cruelty to humans ?

3. The murattu kaalai (angry bull) is important for livestock.

If cattle could talk, almost all of them would say, “I want to be a jallikattu bull instead of hauling load all over town as a bullock”. The amount of care the owners give to these bulls need to be seen. These bulls do almost no work, they get fed the best food and typically loiter all over the village. Almost everyone leaves them alone, because they know this is a bad un with a foul temper. As they acquire reputation every Pongal, they become highly sought after for stud services. This process is iterated over the years and thereby enhances the genetics of the livestock. The bulls in turn have to prove themselves at precisely this event, only once a year, every Pongal.

In other words, if you are a bull – this is as good as it gets !!

Not every bull can be a good jallikattu bull. Even as calves, some bulls acquire a reputation for being uncontrollable. They like to be left alone and sometimes attack without provocation. These calves can then be picked up and trained to be a jallikattu bull (translation : no hard work). Due to the nature of these bulls, it takes very little to anger them. There is no need for chilli powder. The challenge is to keep them calm. The problem happens only when unprofessional owners try to work up ordinary bulls. Due to the calm nature of ordinary cattle, they need more than crowds, noise, and drum beats. Enter chilli powder, punches to genitals, etc. You can already see a case for regulation here. Only registered owners must be allowed. There is also a case for registering individual bulls with the government officials after vetenary doctors examine them (maybe they can be branded by the vets).

4. A unique martial sport with great economic potential

We dont have many of these valour sports in India. A well organized and regulated event will draw thousands of foreign tourists to southern Tamilnadu in the pleasant month of January. The prizes to the winning youth will increase from pots and pans to cash, bikes, and even cars. The winning bulls can also make the bull owners rich and feed into a positive economic cycle enhancing the entire livestock. You can even have top corporates tying up with bull owners and opening up more job opportunities. Why would we Indians want to let go of a treasure like this ?

#################################################

SO killing bulls is ok but racing them is not ok!!

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
https://realitycheck.wordpress.com/2008/01/15/on-jallikattu/

Top four reasons why Jallikattu must be encouraged.

1. Jallikattu is not only an ancient Tamil sport, it also has hindu religious significance.

There is strong sentiment amoung the people that a year without Jallikattu will bring famine, cholera, and other disease to that area. Now, this might get the super-scientific atheist types worked up, still this religious folk sentiment has to be respected. This is similar to the Ram Sethu issue, where you balance economic benefits against religious sentiment. In this case, you balance animal rights concerns against religious sentiment. In both cases the secular state must tread carefully. I am disappointed the BJP has not taken a strong stand on this issue, could be presumably due to their lack of familiarity.

2. It is cruelty to .. humans.

The bull is almost never hurt, leave alone killed. The issues raised by the Blue Cross can be addressed by regulation. The cruelty to humans part is moot, because it is a voluntary sport like boxing and car racing. Can facing Shaun Tait at Perth be construed to be cruelty to humans ?

3. The murattu kaalai (angry bull) is important for livestock.

If cattle could talk, almost all of them would say, “I want to be a jallikattu bull instead of hauling load all over town as a bullock”. The amount of care the owners give to these bulls need to be seen. These bulls do almost no work, they get fed the best food and typically loiter all over the village. Almost everyone leaves them alone, because they know this is a bad un with a foul temper. As they acquire reputation every Pongal, they become highly sought after for stud services. This process is iterated over the years and thereby enhances the genetics of the livestock. The bulls in turn have to prove themselves at precisely this event, only once a year, every Pongal.

In other words, if you are a bull – this is as good as it gets !!

Not every bull can be a good jallikattu bull. Even as calves, some bulls acquire a reputation for being uncontrollable. They like to be left alone and sometimes attack without provocation. These calves can then be picked up and trained to be a jallikattu bull (translation : no hard work). Due to the nature of these bulls, it takes very little to anger them. There is no need for chilli powder. The challenge is to keep them calm. The problem happens only when unprofessional owners try to work up ordinary bulls. Due to the calm nature of ordinary cattle, they need more than crowds, noise, and drum beats. Enter chilli powder, punches to genitals, etc. You can already see a case for regulation here. Only registered owners must be allowed. There is also a case for registering individual bulls with the government officials after vetenary doctors examine them (maybe they can be branded by the vets).

4. A unique martial sport with great economic potential

We dont have many of these valour sports in India. A well organized and regulated event will draw thousands of foreign tourists to southern Tamilnadu in the pleasant month of January. The prizes to the winning youth will increase from pots and pans to cash, bikes, and even cars. The winning bulls can also make the bull owners rich and feed into a positive economic cycle enhancing the entire livestock. You can even have top corporates tying up with bull owners and opening up more job opportunities. Why would we Indians want to let go of a treasure like this ?

#################################################

SO killing bulls is ok but racing them is not ok!!
Exactly with bolhd racing (male cow) relatives of mine won 3 cars 4 motorcycles etc.

Winning Bulls would sell for 10lakh +

Real economy combines hard stuff like factories with soft fun stuff like this

We can put our money toward iPhone or this.

We had thread about family values ultimately it's about community values. These people want to destroy all community events so people interact only with their relatives.

Makes them easier to convert & destroy.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
People can come up with any number of rationalizations, but it won't work. Can anyone proudly tell other people that they love this sport? Seriously, in a conversation with your foreign friends, someone says they loved football, another friend says he loves hockey, now will u say you love bull fighting? The fact that u can't say it out loud is proof that deep down ur ashamed of it.
May be you can't because you hate your roots. Millions of people go to Spain every year for watching bull runs!

You have pretty little self respect and confidence that you require foreign claps even to celebrate your local festivals.

I_PLAY_BAD

First the central government (North Indians) must understand Tamil culture and society.
Just because you don't understand that culture doesn't mean we shouldn't follow our traditions.
Fools, respect culture from all states of India. Only then we will progress and live as one country. Or else a Tamil will be a tamil and a Bengali will be a bengali. There won't be any true Indian.
You morons, how many years are you going to take to understand this simple logic ?
Idiotic central government make this as an issue every year. Permanent law for this is the only solution/

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Down in the South we have been doing these sports for several thousand years and will continue for several thousand more.
It's part of our heritage.
If you don't like it, go cry to wwf or greenpiss or whatever.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
India is already an uncivilized country. Fighting animals will bring out animal traits like aggression etc. Not good for society.
You are worse for society, so jump into the sea.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
People can come up with any number of rationalizations, but it won't work. Can anyone proudly tell other people that they love this sport? Seriously, in a conversation with your foreign friends, someone says they loved football, another friend says he loves hockey, now will u say you love bull fighting? The fact that u can't say it out loud is proof that deep down ur ashamed of it.
Lol you are a ******.

Bullfighting is awesome, I wanna try it myself if I get the chance.

parijataka

Country flag
First the central government (North Indians) must understand Tamil culture and society.
Just because you don't understand that culture doesn't mean we shouldn't follow our traditions.
Fools, respect culture from all states of India. Only then we will progress and live as one country. Or else a Tamil will be a tamil and a Bengali will be a bengali. There won't be any true Indian.
You morons, how many years are you going to take to understand this simple logic ?
Idiotic central government make this as an issue every year. Permanent law for this is the only solution/
Well, @genius only approves of halal camel and camel racing... :)

parijataka

Country flag
Lol you are a ******.

Bullfighting is awesome, I wanna try it myself if I get the chance.
Sorry, Jallikattu is nothing like bull fighting. Bull fighting involves stabbing the bull on its hump with sharp knives to get it enraged and then it is killed by the matador at the end. Jallikattu bulls are not killed or harmed in such a cruel manner - what activists are worried about is tail pulling and rarely (most owners who care for their bulls as much as a pet do not do it!) putting chilli powder in the eyes.

Cracktivists and NGO's dont mind having these bulls slaughtered but pulling its tail is a heinous cruelty. These fools need to get their heads examined. Most likely it is the `Idea of India` type/Christian activists who want to destroy the native culture for their own ulterior aims. Jallikattu is reputed to be a sport from Sangam times i.e. 5th cent BC. Hope better sense prevails and Jallikattu and other native traditions such as Kambala do not fall prey to these activists designs.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Sorry, Jallikattu is nothing like bull fighting. Bull fighting involves stabbing the bull on its hump with sharp knives to get it enraged and then it is killed by the matador at the end. Jallikattu bulls are not killed or harmed in such a cruel manner - what activists are worried about is tail pulling and rarely (most owners who care for their bulls as much as a pet do not do it!) putting chilli powder in the eyes.

Cracktivists and NGO's dont mind having these bulls slaughtered but pulling its tail is a heinous cruelty. These fools need to get their heads examined. Most likely it is the `Idea of India` type/Christian activists who want to destroy the native culture for their own ulterior aims. Jallikattu is reputed to be a sport from Sangam times i.e. 5th cent BC. Hope better sense prevails and Jallikattu and other native traditions such as Kambala do not fall prey to these activists designs.
So I fought a guy. That means I stabbed him with sharp knives and killed him?
Lol.
You can keep your matador and whatever to your western definitions.

When did I say the bulls are killed?
And I don't give a shit about the 5th column activists.

The term jalli kattu itself means "coin" "tied" i.e. objective is/was to obtain something tied to the bulls horn. This can not be done by just walking over to the bull, you have tame/subdue/fight the bull.
Listen, you can argue semantics if you want.
But you are trying to tame the bull which is trying to run away, and for that you need to fight the bull.
Use the term bulldancing, if the terms "bullfighting" "bulltaming" etc scares you. :D

parijataka

Country flag
So I fought a guy. That means I stabbed him with sharp knives and killed him?
Lol.
You can keep your matador and whatever to your western definitions.

When did I say the bulls are killed?
And I don't give a shit about the 5th column activists.

The term jalli kattu itself means "coin" "tied" i.e. objective is/was to obtain something tied to the bulls horn. This can not be done by just walking over to the bull, you have tame/subdue/fight the bull.
Listen, you can argue semantics if you want.
But you are trying to tame the bull which is trying to run away, and for that you need to fight the bull.
Use the term bulldancing, if the terms "bullfighting" "bulltaming" etc scares you. :D
Hmm... `Spanish` bull fighting is a cruel form of entertainment starting with poking knives in the bulls and then killing by the matador. Jallikattu is absolutely non fatal ! Hope you got my point.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
So, Modi govt. is deeply infiltrated!

The government’s top law officer has advised the environment ministry against lifting the ban on Jallikattu, the bull-taming sport of Tamil Nadu, even as environment minister Prakash Javadekar had this week said such “cultural practices” would be allowed to continue.

Jallikattu is held during the Pongal festival in Tamil Nadu. The Centre had earlier indicated it may allow the sport in Tamil Nadu for a limited period in mid-January despite opposition from animal rights activists.

Sources said attorney general Mukul Rohatgi, whose opinion the government had sought, has said allowing such sports would be a violation of the Supreme Court’s May 2014 judgement that said “bulls cannot be allowed as performing animals, either for Jallikattu events or bullock cart races in the state of Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra or elsewhere in the country.” “The AG has given his opinion against lifting the ban,” a government source said.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...=twitter&utm_medium=tweet&utm_campaign=social

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I love this sport as much as I hate shits like you!!!!

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Centre lifts ban on Jallikattu, TN politicians welcome move - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/in...oliticians-welcome-move/#sthash.1F2YkgCn.dpuf

The Centre has issued a notification to allow the banned bull taming sport Jallikattu in Tamil Nadu this year by altering a Ministry of Environment notification in 2011. In effect, the latest notification from the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change dated January 7 exempted the sport from performances for which the bulls should not be used.

It was Union Minister Pon Radhakrishnan who tweeted the news on Friday morning after Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar informed him. Radhakrishnan, who is from Tamil Nadu has also thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for facilitating the bull taming sport ahead of Pongal.

The notification said the “event shall take place in any District where it is being traditionally held annually, at such place explicitly permitted by the district Collector or the district Magistrate; bullock cart race shall be organised on a proper track, which shall not exceed two kilometres. In case of Jallikattu, the moment the bull leaves the enclosure, it shall be tamed within a radial distance of 15 metre.”

Leading Tamil politicians including state Congress Chief EVKS Elangovan, MDMK leader Vaiko and PMK leader S Ramadoss have welcomed the move while reminding the centre to ensure the legal safety of the notification.

Reacting to the notification, Don Williams of Blue Cross, leading animal welfare organisation said the ban has not been lifted by the Supreme Court of India but only by the politicians. “It seems now the animals have to start speaking for themselves. Learnt judges of the highest court of the country had banned it in the interest of both humans and animals. Politicians have lifted the ban now. People will realise which was the intelligent decision. Animal Welfare Board of India and other organisations will definitely challenge this in the court,” he said.

- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/in...oliticians-welcome-move/#sthash.1F2YkgCn.dpuf

Will Don Williams work towards banning Bakrid also, because many innocent animals are being killed for fun.

dhananjay1

It's civilized to munch on McChicken sitting in a McDonalds commenting on how poor beef eaters are oppressed in India, but Jallikattu is uncivilized :laugh: Blue Cross should go back to Canada and try to civilize those filth meat munching savages, first.

asingh10

It's civilized to munch on McChicken sitting in a McDonalds commenting on how poor beef eaters are oppressed in India, but Jallikattu is uncivilized :laugh: Blue Cross should go back to Canada and try to civilize those filth meat munching savages, first.
circumcision/fgm, eid slaughter and public self mutilation at muharram is very civilized.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Tamilnadu Chief Minister Thanks Modi for Allowing Jallikattu

CHENNAI: Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for facilitating jallikattu during the Pongal festival in Tamil Nadu. She said that her consistent steps to resume this traditional sport led the Union Environment Ministry to finally issue a notification on this.

“Though bull will continue to be in the list of performing animals, the Central government’s notification dated January 7 has annexed a safeguard clause for preventing any cruelty to the bulls during the conduct of Jallikattu, as per the verdict of the Supreme Court dated May 7, 2014. Following this, there will be no bar on conducting jallikattu. I have directed the Chief Secretary to send a circular to all Collectors in connection with the notification,” the Chief Minister said in a press note.

She also said the her government had filed a review petition on the SC verdict on May 7, 2015 and the petition was still pending before it.

A Few animal activists on a Different Note - what different note?! no different note. read on...

Chennai: Well known animal rights activist and founder of the Bharatiya Prani Mitra Sangh, Gauhar Aziz and her associates welcomed the statement released by the Union Environment Ministry on Friday stating Prime Minister Narendra Modi had understood that this traditional sport is part of the Tamil culture and being the pulse of the Tamil people treat it as a highly sentimental issue. Gauhar Aziz, former member of the National Commission on Cattle, has been working for resumption of Jallikattu for the past few years in association with the Jallikattu organisations and countered many an argument put forth against Jallikattu. She attended several conferences organised on Jallikattu and argued that it is in the interest of the farmers to preserve the tradition. Asked about the impact of lifting the ban, she said: the first and foremost impact is that bulls will not be transported to neighbouring states for slaughter.”

peta slams move, says it’s a black day

Chennai: Animal activists from across the city have slammed the Centre’s move to allow jallikattu in Tamil Nadu. “This is a black day for animal rights,” said Chinny Krishna, vice-chairman, Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI). The Centre on Friday lifted the ban on jallikattu after altering a 2011 Ministry of Environment notification. “When the apex court upheld the notification in 2014 there was clear evidence of the cruelty and violence involved in the sport, to both the bull and people. The recent move of the Centre nullifies the whole thing,” said Chaitanya Koduri, scientist, People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). According to a PETA survey, over 1500 people were injured between 2010 and 2015 while taking part in the sport; 70 of them, including a child, died.

BJP leader dares evks to resign as Cong chief

Sivaganga: With the BJP-led government lifting the ban on Jallikattu imposed by the Supreme Court, the party’s national secretary H Raja has dared the State Congress president EVKS Elangovan to resign his post. Pointing out that Elangovan had earlier questioned whether union minister Pon Radhakrishnan would resign if ban on the sport is not lifted, Raja asked whether he would step down from the presidentship now as the obstacles in conducting Jallikattu have been removed. He came down heavily on the previous UPA government, especially the former union minister Jairam Ramesh, for including bulls in the list of non-performing animals that made way for prohibiting Jallikattu. Denying that the centre has facilitated the resumption of the sport only for vote bank politics, he said the steps taken by the animal welfare activists for getting the sport banned once again was hypocritical and illogical.

Ms. Gauhar Aziz :yo:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles