J & K jawan survives burst of AK-47 gunfire

hitesh

::thumb::thumb:
A paramilitry force jawan, who took five bullets from an AK-47 in a gunfight in Jammu and Kashmir, was recently discharged from the AIIMS trauma centre here. Doctors say survival in a case like this is rare.
The jawan, whose identity was not revealed, got four bullets in his chest and one in the abdomen during a gunfight with terrorists in Udhampur district of Jammu.

The shots were fired from just 12 metres.

Bleeding

Such injuries usually result in continuous bleeding that finally leads to death.
"Survival in such a case is unusual. Spleen and liver are notorious for bleeding.

The jawan's liver was damaged," said Dr M C Misra, chief of AIIMS trauma centre.
The jawan was first taken to a local facility.

After his condition became stable, he was airlifted and brought to the trauma centre.
According to doctors, the fact that injured persons can now be airlifted and taken to super-speciality hospitals is the key reason why he could be saved.

"The jawan was given 74 units of blood during his stay here," said Dr Misra.

He stayed in the centre for six weeks, of which four were spent in the intensive care unit.
Dr Misra said the centre does not receive many such cases.

"Most cases can be managed locally. For others, there is no point because it is clear that there is no chance of survival," he said.

He added that this case seemed a probable case of survival.

"This is an important case because survival rates were really low. Since the days of militancy in Punjab, AK-47s are used.

"I have not seen many jawans surviving after being fired from such a close range," added Dr Misra.
J and K jawan survives burst of AK-47 gunfire

pmaitra

There's 7.62 mm for you. Had it been 5.45 Soviet or 5.56 NATO, one bullet into his abdomen, and he'd have been dead.

Twinblade

Country flag
There's 7.62 mm for you. Had it been 5.45 Soviet or 5.56 NATO, one bullet into his abdomen, and he'd have been dead.
Common wisdom tells me, that taking 5 bullets in chest and abdomen from less than 12 meters from any gun would kill a man ;) . The guy is really really lucky to be alive.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
7.62 AK bullets are notorious for giveing larger wounds due to their peculier rounded shapes and less MV. One can survive NATO standard 5.56 after five bullets but difficult with 7.62 WARSHAW standards bullets.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
5.56 isn't liked much by NATO troops. They report the talibs would still be standing after hits from 5.56.
On the topic of calibers and their damage to human body, read this long but interesting thread. Right from the autopsy table:
Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue - http://mouseguns.com/deadmeat.htm

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

pmaitra

7.62 AK bullets are notorious for giveing larger wounds due to their peculier rounded shapes and less MV. One can survive NATO standard 5.56 after five bullets but difficult with 7.62 WARSHAW standards bullets.
7.62 mm AK-47 bullets are not rounded, they are pointed.

At 12 metres, 5.56 m or 5.45 mm is more lethal than 7.62 mm.

What is WARSHAW?

pmaitra

5.56 isn't liked much by NATO troops. They report the talibs would still be standing after hits from 5.56.
On the topic of calibers and their damage to human body, read this long but interesting thread. Right from the autopsy table:
Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue - http://mouseguns.com/deadmeat.htm

Regards,
Virendra
Not at 12 metres. Yes, 5.56 mm loses it's lethality at longer distances. At 12 metres, just as I explained above.

bhramos

Country flag
Great Salute to that soldier....
he defeated the death.....
will he be retired or get back to sevice????

pmaitra

Great Salute to that soldier....
he defeated the death.....
will he be retired or get back to sevice????
He might get a bureaucratic job in the army, or be retried. He won't be fighting I guess.

H.A.

I :salute: the soldier.

In-between he was given 74 units of blood over six weeks!!!!

agentperry

iron man. miraculous victory over death.
thanks to excellence of doctors at AIIMS also

drkrn

credit goes alone to aiims doctros as they succeded a challenging case.
i have till now seen a maximum of 5 units bloodtransfusions in my college after trauma and that patient died.usually this patient requires highest medical attention and continuos monitoring and continuous bleed from liver.. god its very difficult o control, spleen will usually be removed in adults..

remember pramod mahajan case.he sustained injuries in liver and succumbed to them.

thank god for giving the soldier to stay strong all through the treatment..

i dont know about ammunitions but lethal power of a bullet solely depends upon mass of projectile * its velocity at point of contact--------- medical forensics

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thanks to doctors of AMC & God..

He will be back to hunt tangos...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles