It's time to declare India landmine-free country

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

The extent of the mine affected areas is difficult to be ascertained because of government secrecy about the mined layouts and failure of even those countries that have signed the treaty to release their data. NGO estimates (2010) say that 66 states

are affected by landmine planting. An area of about 3,000 sq km is mentioned. A country's rural population also gets adversely affected when landmines are used as defensive measure. The Land Mine Monitor (2007) quotes Tara Chand, former Speaker of Jammu & Kashmir Assembly saying that more than 6,000 families and some 3,500 acres of agricultural land in Chamb in Jammu region were mine-affected and that 107 casualties occurred in Indian border areas.

The problem becomes more serious when non-state actors like the LTTE, Nepali or Indian Maoists plant hundreds of landmines in civilian areas. The root cause of this menace is the stockpile by different states, which somehow find its way to insurgents.
For some reason I can't identify the date of this article.

drkrn

For some reason I can't identify the date of this article.
for countries like america who stay way too far from enemies mines are of limited use,but for us its a need to stop the advancement of armies of neighbouring enemies.and as you article is mentioned indian govt or respective state govt's does not allow to keep mines in civilian territories,they are planted by maoists

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles