ISRO General News and Updates

Prashant12

Country flag
India has been quietly working on key technology to enable space station

BENGALURU: Isro chairman K Sivan's announcement about
India planning its own space station may appear sudden, but work on a key technology - space docking - without which such a station cannot be made functional has been going on for at least three years now. The project has already got clearance and the department of space has earmarked Rs 10 crore.

Isro has been working on technology that will eventually allow it to transfer humans from one vehicle or spacecraft to another but the immediate goal is to enable refuelling of spacecraft to give them a longer life and also transfer other crucial systems to an existing spacecraft, by transporting another to space.

Space Docking Experiment, or SPADEX, as Isro calls it, has already seen work on several systems like signal analysis equipment, high-precision videometer for navigation, docking system electronics and real-time decision making for landing systems being done in various stages.

As part of SPADEX, we will "develop and demonstrate the technologies needed for docking two spacecraft (Chase & Target) and to control one spacecraft from the Attitude Control System of other spacecraft in the docked condition," Isro says.

Subsequent to docking, the Chaser and Target will be separated so that they would carry-out their designated experiments with payloads. Further, Isro said: "This technology will be a forerunner to future planetary missions including crew transfer, international participation et al."
Isro has already completed some ground simulations and the work on launching two small spacecraft to test this out in space is in the pipeline. However, with Chandrayaan-2, Aditya mission and Gaganyaan on top of Isro's priorities-satellite launches also needs augmentation-serious work on SPADEX may only being after three to four years. "But just like we kept preparing for Gaganyaan quietly, work will go on," one scientist said.

When ready, this technology will also be used for orbit servicing of satellites-as TOI had reported earlier-which will allow Isro to enhance lifespan of satellites, by refuelling them.

Late UR Rao, former Isro chairman and ex-chairman of Isro Advisory Committee, who had nursed ambitions of a space station for India, had earlier told TOI, "Space docking would also be used to transport people to space stations-bring back old people and put in the newer ones-or even send people in to replace equipment on spacecrafts and so on."
Challenges of docking

Sivan, on Thursday ruled out sending Indian astronauts to the International Space Station - of which India is not a member - and said we will have our own station, which, insiders feel, will add impetus to the docking project.
However, there are multiple challenges Isro will have to overcome before it can attempt this in space. For one, docking will depend on space rendezvous: Isro must be equipped with capabilities wherein the two spacecraft will find each other and remain in the same orbit.
Docking has to be automatic and many of the functions thereon will have to be robotic. There is also the challenge of managing the speeds of each of the crafts when they near each other and to then dock the newer vehicle in a manner that they don't crash or collide into each other.
As per one plan document accessed by TOI, the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre(VSSC) will work on rendezvous and docking. "To achieve docking during the final phase of the mission, the relative position and velocity of the target spacecraft and chaser spacecraft has to be brought to zero. To ensure proper alignment of the docking port, the relative angular orientation needs to be precisely aligned," the document reads.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=TOIDesktop

IndianHawk

Country flag
This is welcome news from ISRO. First GAGANYAN was approved and now our own space station. Modi is giving shape to Indian dream. A nation that is bold and adventures and daring enough to pursue it's dreams.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

IndianHawk

Country flag
Also the future of international space station is not certain after 2025 because USA and Russia are at odds.

ISS 2 is being discussed in Europe and USA as Chinese expand their own station and ISS 1 comes to end of its mission.

ISRO might be offered a module on ISS2 or Russia may offer to join an Indian station. Very timely move I must say.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
At this time there is nothing that I would love more than to read the comments on BBC and other UK media.

Burnol sale will be soaring in the firangi land.

aghamarshana

Mitron......naacho
Country flag
Also the future of international space station is not certain after 2025 because USA and Russia are at odds.

ISS 2 is being discussed in Europe and USA as Chinese expand their own station and ISS 1 comes to end of its mission.

ISRO might be offered a module on ISS2 or Russia may offer to join an Indian station. Very timely move I must say.

If Ruskies are interested on a joint project, it is worth a consideration. They may join us.
Asian Age it is as they said!

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Gaganyaan Press conference

Key takeaway

Gaganyaan:

- Looks like BJP (Jitendra Singh) is taking Gaganyaan mission very seriously.

- Gov is fully committed to space exploration part of ISRO

- 3 people will be onboard Gaganyaan

- Selection process will continue (including final selection) for 6 months and then training will happen for 1.6 to 2 years.

- All astronaut training will be done in India, advance training abroad.

- Crew selection underway

- ISRO in contact with Indian Navy and coast guard for recovery of splashdown module.

Future plans:

- Indian ISS program

- Manned mission to Moon.

- Asteroid mission

- Colonies in space.

aghamarshana

Mitron......naacho
Country flag
What about the Chinese ?they have similar plans
I don't think they're ready for any joint exploration. They have a very ambitious plan to build a huge space station for their own use like Soviet Mir.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Why do we take British Aid?inst instead we should demand repatriations for 200 years of colonial exploitation
I think their Aid program is focused on many countries not just India. The hate that comes from UK is baffaling. Even Pakistanis & Chinese at some point acknowledge Indian progress but never British. Not a single British on UK forums, websites have anything positive to say about India. I repeat not a single one.

Deathstar

Country flag
I think their Aid program is focused on many countries not just India. The hate that comes from UK is baffaling. Even Pakistanis & Chinese at some point acknowledge Indian progress but never British. Not a single British on UK forums, websites have anything positive to say about India. I repeat not a single one.
They still live in the fake superior martial race syndrome , they arent taught the reality of british colonial rule in their schools , they still look at us with stereotypes like snake charmers and black magicians , useless brits have become a joke since their Brexit fiasco

Sanglamorre

Country flag
Well, stand in their shoes. They did so much including breaking India to surroundit with enemies on both sides to keep it down and now look where we are. Dirty, smelly, brown Indians like us giving them competition.

aghamarshana

Mitron......naacho
Country flag
Well, stand in their shoes. They did so much including breaking India to surroundit with enemies on both sides to keep it down and now look where we are. Dirty, smelly, brown Indians like us giving them competition.
It shouldn't be called a competition(atleast in space domain) when the Brits DON'T have a dedicated national space program with a full launch capability.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Actually there is no competition between ISRO and UKSA. They don't have any launcher rocket. (never had any in past). Not even something basic as a launch pad. No sat building capabilities. Nothing. They are putting their flags on NASA and ESA launches. That is their only achievement.

Brits stand nowhere compared to India in space.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
We still behave the way they taught Indian slaves to behave, We have our Nirad C Chaudhary and Amritya Sens, Sagarika Ghose and Prannoy Roy to remind us how bad we are and how good the Brits are, our thieves, scamsters, and money launderers like Malya and Nirav Modi find safe heavens in UK, GoI is made to stand in front of Metropolitan magistrate in London, Bank of England with its subsidiaries in Tax Free heavens hold more Indian wealth than India itself, some of the big Khalistanis and Jihadis are allowed to run their operations from England, London based Amnesty International or Green Peace dictate terms to India, a degree from Oxford ensures an topmost elite position in India be it Shashi Tharoor or Arnab Goswami so on so on and so on.

We bloody Kaloo Indians are still Kalu Indians and white Angrej are still the masters of our affairs.

Why whine about it ?? You kalus deserve it.......:daru:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There was a poll couple of years back, apparently 60% or brits want colonialism back....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles